RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #1

Tire height when leveling

When leveling our class A, is it bad to raise the wheels off the ground. In a park recently, we saw a class A with all wheels raised off the ground. It was kind of un-level in the park and that may be why.

I assume the auto level system would not raise it that high if it were not needed.

Also, I have seen where people put blocks under the leveling jacks to keep the jacks from having to travel to far. Is this a good idea?

Thanks

chuck and katie

katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #2

It's a bad idea to get two wheels off the ground and an absolute terrible idea to get all the wheels off. With the rear wheels off the ground, the only thing keeping the coach from rolling are the jacks which are not designed for that type of load. If you can not keep the wheels in contact with the terrain, find a better place to park.

Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I've parked in a couple of spots where the front wheels were either barely touching or slightly off the ground but I would never get the rear wheels off the ground. That would totally eliminate your parking brake hold and as Crasher said, put too extreme of a load on the jacks.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!

If you raise the wheels off of the ground, nobody is gonna die and your world will not end.

The "proper" use of cribbing to support your leveling jacks will actually lessen the stress on your jack cylinders by lessening the cylinder travel.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They say to NEVER raise the rear wheels off the ground. If it is that unlevel then you need to drive the wheels up on blocks and then place equal height blocks under the jacks prior to LEVELING the MH.
The exception to this when doing maintenance and placing the chassis on blocks or stands
Old 11-14-2018, 05:13 AM   #6

I do carry a larger footprint pad to place under my leveling/jacking system.

I often worry that the ground under the legs won't support the weight of the smaller footprint leg so I have some pads that have about 2 1/2 times the surface area..

I use 2 pieces of 3/4" marine plywood that I've cut, glued and stapled together with a simple handle to allow me to place them under the legs when necessary...
Old 11-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #7

All RV's are different. You should follow the manual for your rig. Mine says to never let the wheels off the ground, so I do agree with other folks here to "Pre-Level" the RV using blocks under the wheels and jacks.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #8

The F53 (gas) chassis has the parking brake on the drive shaft before the differential. If ONE rear wheel is off the ground you have no parking brakes.
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #9

Your jack feet have about the same footprint as your tires, maybe more on the front.

If the tires don't slide, then the feet won't either. They are bearing into the ground.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #10

Like has been said, I use two layers of exterior grade plywood cut to provide support for the wheels and/or stabilizer jack legs when needed.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #11

If ALL the wheels are off the ground to level the coach, then it is too high and it should be lowered. No matter how unlevel the site, the coach can ALWAYS be leveled with at least one wheel in contact with Terra Firma. The people you saw were either too lazy to properly level their coach or ignorant of how to level it.

Think about it. Assume the coach is level with all the wheels off the ground. If you keep it level and slowly lower it, sooner or later, at least one of the wheels will eventually touch ground and it will still be level. There is never a situation where all the wheels have to be off the ground to level the coach.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #12

Our first time leveling with the Auto level all the wheels raised off the ground by the time if was done. The leveling system wasn't set up right at the factory. I got the instructions and on a level concrete pad re-programmed the system. Now it never raises the entire coach off but might a front wheel on a very poor lot.

I found it was better and faster to just use the Manual jack settings and watch the bubble and lights to achieve level with minimal jack extension.

I do use blocks under the jacks on gravel or dirt to get more contact area and minimize sinking.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
I found it was better and faster to just use the Manual jack settings and watch the bubble and lights to achieve level with minimal jack extension.

I do use blocks under the jacks on gravel or dirt to get more contact area and minimize sinking.
Exactly. This is why I level our coach like this:

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #14

Yep same here.

nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling