RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Tire increase in pressure

I have 275x70 22.5 F @105psi R @ 95psi cold.

what might I expect my tpms to show when hot yest still safe?

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I have 275x70 22.5 F @105psi R @ 95psi cold.

what might I expect my tpms to show when hot yest still safe?
I set mine (same size) at 115 psi and I routinely see 135 psi on a hot day after running 3 or so hours.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As long as you have your tires inflated to the proper COLD PSI you should never have a problem with the PSI being too high even on the hottest day. The tires are engineered to handle just about every extreme in high temps you could encounter provided you were not over inflated in the first place.

FWIW, my tire pressure for the front axle run pretty close to gemert's numbers. In general, all my tires gain about 25 - 30 PSI on very hot days.

The only reason you would see unsafe PSI would be if you had something else major happen like a dragging brake heating the rim up which would in turn jack up the PSI but hopefully you would get a heat alarm at that point.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
SO, What about altitude? Going from sea level to 7000+ feet???
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How about rear duals? I see my outside tires with higher running pressures than the inside tires. Expected? If so, why?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
SO, What about altitude? Going from sea level to 7000+ feet???
Again, if you start the day with proper cold tire pressure, no a problem. The same for extreme temp changes during the course of the day.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
How about rear duals? I see my outside tires with higher running pressures than the inside tires. Expected? If so, why?
One theory is that the inners heat up more because they carry more weight because of the crowns of the road. Another theory is that they can't shed heat as easily. However, they goes directly against what you are seeing so...go figure.

FWIW, I don't see much of a difference between my inners and outers. I can't even tell you if the inners or outers tend to show higher pressure and or temps. The only exception to that is on very hot and sunny days the outer tire facing the sun will show a few degrees warmer and that would tend to support one outer wheel showing higher PSI and temps than the inner on that side.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If the air in your tires is too low for the weight on the tire the temps will get very high. Low air pressure is the reason most undamaged tires blow.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Don't overthink this. Set the psi correctly when "cold" and trust that the tire engineers allowed correctly for heat expansion and other factors. They have the knowledge and experience to do that correctly so that you don't have to worry. If you travel to a higher altitude, or to a hotter/colder climate, adjust tire pressure the next morning before traveling again, when the tires are once again "cold".

During a days travel, you should expect psi increases of 10-20% simply due to friction heat in the tire. Plus the tires on the sunny side tend to get a bit warmer, whether parked or driving. Crowned roads can cause differences in dual tire pressure, plus the inner and outer dual gain and shed heat at different rates due to differences in air flow, proximity to engine heat (in pushers), etc.

"Cold' means "not driven for several hours". It does not refer to any particular air temperature.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Don't overthink this,,,
Could not have described it better.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Don't overthink this. Set the psi correctly when "cold" and trust that the tire engineers allowed correctly for heat expansion and other factors. They have the knowledge and experience to do that correctly so that you don't have to worry. If you travel to a higher altitude, or to a hotter/colder climate, adjust tire pressure the next morning before traveling again, when the tires are once again "cold".

During a days travel, you should expect psi increases of 10-20% simply due to friction heat in the tire. Plus the tires on the sunny side tend to get a bit warmer, whether parked or driving. Crowned roads can cause differences in dual tire pressure, plus the inner and outer dual gain and shed heat at different rates due to differences in air flow, proximity to engine heat (in pushers), etc.

"Cold' means "not driven for several hours". It does not refer to any particular air temperature.

Totally agree with this post. I have a Class A tag and each set runs different cold temp pressures. I set the steer tires to 120psi cold and will see up to 135psi when hot, rears set to 100 psi and will see 120psi when hot. Tag set to 85psi when cold and up to 100psi when hot. I also notice the outside tires will run hotter when sun is on them. Sometimes I needs run higher temps but only a few degrees. All down to cold pressure set up. Temps also change with road temps and you will notice if it rains, temps cool down.
SCOOTER101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #12

makes one wonder why the concern about slightly different cold pressures for each axle. Regardless of what you start with, you will have a large range of operating pressures.

wredman is offline   Reply With Quote