Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
FYI. got home sat. night, and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, I continued to adjust tag air press. I found that 20psi in the tag made the coach ride and drive even better. I'm assuming I took some of the load off of the front axle and added to the rear additional weight. Headed out to get. it re weighed this week. I think the heavy frt axle is because this is a front kitchen model, fridge, stove,pantry, etc. thanks again for your inputs!

sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Some thoughts here. So how does one know what is correct? Given what the tag pressures was before and how much weight was on the front axle now that weight has gone off the front to the rear and just maybe too much on the rear. Does one adjust the tag to give the same percentage of axle weight (weight dstribution) on all axles and the GAWR is on an axle is not exceeded? Such as 75% of max GAWR on the steer and 75% on the drive and 75% on the tag? Or what ever percentage makes it even. Or do you adjust it based on the ratings of the tires so you have the same percentage of max allowable weight on all the tires. Or is it some balance between the two. The manual kind of indicates that it is based on the GAWR not being exceeded so to me that would be an even percentage of GAWR on all axles.

What does your manual say your tag is set at from the factory. Mine says that it is set at 28 psi and I run 40 psi.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mike, What an interesting discussion. I don't think I can get my coach to 75% of front axle wt. But I think I can get the rears and tag each carrying @ 75% of their respective wts based on gawr. I believe the factory setting was 40psi on the tag which resulted in 8558 lbs on the tag axle. To lose 1000lbs on tag and move it to the drive axle would be 75% on each axle based on my previous weighing. Last of the trip the rig handled quite well with 20psi in the tag. Once I weigh it again I'll adjust air again as necessary. Not sure if anything is written in stone on this topic, but you can certainly change handling characteristics, drivability and ride throu air pressures. Thought provoking!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

This is the only thing that I can find on the Monaco website

http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil...1/tag_axle.pdf

Still looking
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

While you are deep in thought then think about this. When I said that you should balance the load or have equal load distribution then I think it should only be on the steer and drive axles as long as the weight on the tag is not over 10,000 lbs.