Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Tire inflation conundrum

I have a 2012 Daybreak on an F53 chassis. On one page of the owner's manual is tells me to check my tire pressure often and inflate all ties to the recommended pressure. Four pages later it states that tires with steel cords in the sidewalls like my Continental tires "cannot be treated like normal light truck tires. Tire service, including adjusting tire pressure, must be performed by personnel trained, supervised and equipped according to Federal OSHA regulations. For example, during any procedure involving tire inflation, the technician or individual must utilize a remote inflation device, and ensure that all persons are clear of the trajectory area." Is this just a cover your butt move? I can't possibly comply with this safety recommendation. I realize as a private individual I'm not required to follow OSHA rules, but what gives? Am I missing something? How risky is this?

Kenneth Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
If you have your own compressor it is quite simple to do the job safely by using a clip-on chuck fed by 4' of hose leading to the gauge and the trigger. That way you can stand well to the side while adjusting the pressures.

In the real world, nobody bothers simply because the chances of a tyre exploding in those conditions are close to zero. Of course that is not the case when inflating a just-mounted tyre, or one that has been run way under-inflated for a long time.

Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Had the same issue when I bought my Daybreak. Look at this response to my question.

How do you put air in your tires?
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
The statement sounds like a left over from the days of split rims. I doubt your coach has split rims. I've had a coach since 1978 and none of my coaches had split rims.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We can only assume that it warns of a potential danger that has been identified by the tire or wheel manufacturer and is probably in response to an accident that happened or a lawsuit that was filed. I check my own tires and add air as needed and i do not have a special tool with a remote button. I use the coach air as well as a compressor that i carry.
Palm Springs, CA - 2005 National Tropi Cal 370LX on a Freightliner, Cat 350 power. Towing a Rinker R1 - Lake Havasu Bound!!
homecan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
Steel belted tires are much more prone to tread separation than nylon belted tires. They are also much less forgiving to under inflation. SO while your instructions are certainly on the crazy side of caution, there is some small amount of merit to them.
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
There's still to many lawyers around these days. They are just CT butts. Man I'm fed up with this type of absolute cr#p. What ever happened to COMMON SENSE and accepting responsibility for ones own actions. I haven't seen a split rim in 25 years.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
Thanks for the timely replies. I don't have split rims. I''ll just ignore this warning for now and take my chances.
Kenneth Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Another problem and maybe why the warnings, is that some insist on pumping their new modern tires on an older coach, to the max that's printed on the tire, which could be well over 100psi, when the old wheel has a max of 90psi and very common on some of these rigs.
For inflation, as per say, the rig's axles need to be weighed and the tires inflated according to the chart plus 10 - 15psi for a cushion and for taking care of the many variables, one will most surely encounter during their travels.
07 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_C9 Clatterpillar_ Allison 3000
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tires can indeed explode and every commercial shop now has those cages (OSHA regs) to use when mounting a tire on a wheel, but that applies to inflating a tire from zero, not topping them up with a few lbs. If your tire is already sealed to the rim and holding air, the risk is infinitesimal. Not zero (is it ever), but not worth losing sleep over.

A tire shop won't use the cage if you stop in and ask them to adjust your tire pressure on the vehicle.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:43 AM   #11
Ford Super Duty Owner
OSHA REGS That's government talk for way to many lawyers.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had a tire replace, they caged it during inflation.. and they have had tires explode at that shop.

However once it is mounted.. Well I have never seen anyone remove a tire for inflation unless they were also replacing the rubber.. and the only time I've had a tire "Explode" during inflation it was a bicycle tire, There was no injury (The tire itself did nto explode only the inner tube) but there was a short term loss of hearing. (MAN is that thing loud).

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote