Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
In truth, airplane tires are usually filled with nitrogen, but I think it is due to the pressure change of high altitude flight rather than temperature change. Partial pressures and all that physics stuff. I think I fell asleep during that briefing.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #16

Be aware of anyone that makes money from a service you don't know much about!

Old 04-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Not to beat an old horse but every time this subject arises there seems to be more against than for N2 in tires.
I have Nitrogen in My MH Michelins - My Race Trailer Tires and the Slicks on my Race Car. and Our personal SUV tires as well. Even my Dixie Chopper. My pressures never vary but a pound or 2 in Cold and Hot weather driving.
Works for me! I do carry a 30 Tank of N2 in the MH, just in case.
Just Sharing !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #18

The stories about Nitrogen come from the use in aircraft tires. Aircraft tires can swing between 120 degrees to minus 60 degree in just a few minutes.

But that is not the reason for Nitrogen. Aircraft tires have better odds of blowing on landing and the Nitrogen mans there is no Oxygen to feed the tire fire.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #19

costco offers free n2 for the new tires they sold. my daughter's tires were filled with n2, everytime the pressure dropped she went there to top off. once she asked me, i told her if you go there for shopping and fill the air at the same time, that is fine, otherwise, use your pump to fill the air in your garage. ever since human developed wheel with tire, people have been filling the air and no problem. hundred years of proof isn't long enough? the advantage, if any, is too negligible to justify, why bother?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
All this pure N2 stuff ain't really pure. You get mostly N2 unless you can vac the tire empty before you put the first n2 molecule in. When a tire is mt, you have one atmosphere of air in the tire. When you pressurize to 90 psi, you add (90/~15=6) about 6 atmospheres of N2 to the one atmosphere of air which is ~80%N2, so you're almost pure N2. Be happy...
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Talking Star Trek solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
I'm searching for a helium supply so I can lighten my load and carry more stuff. I was going to get a tag axle but was afraid that might float too much.

I would suggest Anti-Matter as a better alternative to Helium. That way you will be repelled off the ground with the negative gravity forces and can float in the clouds. Of course it will make it harder to park as you would need to carry an anchor to tie the RV too to keep it from floating away.

Sorry for the Tire Engineer humor
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Not to beat an old horse but every time this subject arises there seems to be more against than for N2 in tires.
I have Nitrogen in My MH Michelins - My Race Trailer Tires and the Slicks on my Race Car. and Our personal SUV tires as well. Even my Dixie Chopper. My pressures never vary but a pound or 2 in Cold and Hot weather driving.
Works for me! I do carry a 30 Tank of N2 in the MH, just in case.
Just Sharing !
I find this hard to believe. Why was my experience so different?? I had a Goodyear dealer bleed off all six tires and fill with N2. With compressor air, the pressure would rise from 120 psi up to 140 psi after several hours of driving in 80+ temps. With N2 is went from 120 up to 136-138 psi. Basically no difference especially when Michelin says that the tires are made to deal with such changes due to rolling heat.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #23
Commercial Member

SMB
A more serious answer to your question on lowering "wear & tear" is to ensure you

1. Always have more inflation pressure than the minimum needed to carry the measured load on the heavier end of each axle

2. Inflate all tires on an axle to the same pressure

3. Run a TPMS so you get early warning of air loss due to leak from puncture or valve problem. Checking in the AM only is good for that point in time.

4. If possible have at least 10% with 15% better "Reserve Load" capacity on your tires. (Load Capacity-Measured Load) = Reserve Load

5. Multi-axle trailers should always run the pressure on the tire sidewall (but still have the Reserve Load capacity

6. The inflation pressure we are talking about is th Cold Inflation which means not having been driven on or in full sunlight for at least 2 hours

It's a fact that most RVs on the road have a tire or axle or both in overload.

RVSEF is just one company that offers individual tire position weighing service. If you can't get a location they will be at then at least get individual axle weights and assume the side to side variation.

I have covered all the above and more in my blog on RV Tire Safety.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I find this hard to believe. Why was my experience so different?? I had a Goodyear dealer bleed off all six tires and fill with N2. With compressor air, the pressure would rise from 120 psi up to 140 psi after several hours of driving in 80+ temps. With N2 is went from 120 up to 136-138 psi. Basically no difference especially when Michelin says that the tires are made to deal with such changes due to rolling heat.
No need to call me out on my findings with N2, I have only shared My experience from using it the last 16 years or so. All of my tires were filled with N2 as they were mounted fresh. I can share with you that simply vacuuming tires doesn't necessarily remove all of the moisture that's in your tires which cause acceleration of pressure when heat is added to the equation. Just Sharing my experience with N2.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I would suggest Anti-Matter as a better alternative to Helium. That way you will be repelled off the ground with the negative gravity forces and can float in the clouds. Of course it will make it harder to park as you would need to carry an anchor to tie the RV too to keep it from floating away.

Sorry for the Tire Engineer humor
Now that gravity waves have been detected we can search for the gravitron. All you need is a source of anti-gravitrons and you are in business
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #26

Tireman 9, thanks for trying to educate these guys. You have way more patience than I do. I finally gave up after a few futile attempts to convince neighbors, relatives, etc that they were being ripped off. Now, when the subject comes up I just smile and walk away. Like the old engineering quote says, "Never wrestle with a pig. Everybody just gets muddy but the pig likes it. "
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
No need to call me out on my findings with N2, I have only shared My experience from using it the last 16 years or so. All of my tires were filled with N2 as they were mounted fresh. I can share with you that simply vacuuming tires doesn't necessarily remove all of the moisture that's in your tires which cause acceleration of pressure when heat is added to the equation. Just Sharing my experience with N2.
My apology as I did not mean to "call you out". I was wondering what I might have done differently than you. What would have been different from the ambient air that would have been in a freshly mounted tire to the air left in a deflated tire? When one considers how compressed the "dead air" would be after filling with N2 to 120 psi, what effect could it have? Having N2 in a tire is a nice concept, but I was never able to accomplish the same results.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
My apology as I did not mean to "call you out". I was wondering what I might have done differently than you. What would have been different from the ambient air that would have been in a freshly mounted tire to the air left in a deflated tire? When one considers how compressed the "dead air" would be after filling with N2 to 120 psi, what effect could it have? Having N2 in a tire is a nice concept, but I was never able to accomplish the same results.
I agree with you. My last dealer put nitrogen in my mh, no charge. I could tell no difference in pressure increase. It went from about 120 up to 140 with both.