Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #29
American Coach Owners Club
Tire Inflation using nitrogen?

If your tires increase 20 lbs from cold to hot - running then you have tire issues , either under inflated for your weight or you have a severe amount of moisture in them .
N2 eliminates moisture !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Brownsburg Indiana
1992 American Eagle
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #30
[QUOTE=Dale & Mark Bruss;3002890]

But that is not the reason for Nitrogen. Aircraft tires have better odds of blowing on landing and the Nitrogen mans there is no Oxygen to feed the tire fire.[/QUOTE

Commercial Airlines* The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires nitrogen in all commercial aircraft tires to eliminate the potential for water vapor (inherent in normal compressed air) from freezing at high altitudes.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #31
According to the Michelin load chart, 110 psi is the minimum to carry the load. I run 115 psi (60* OAT cold) in them. When I asked a Michelin rep about the pressure rise up to 135 to 138 psi on a 90* sunny day, he said that was normal and not to be concerned. So, for three years I haven't been concerned.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #32
Commercial Member
Just to be clear. I see nothing wrong with using N2 to inflate tires. I just question the claims of the almost magical benefits as some try and justify the cost.

Yes using N2 to inflate tires will result in dryer conditions inside the tire air chamber but N2 does not "dry out" the air inside a tire any more than using desiccated compressed air.

The % N2 inside a tire after purging a few times in a test lag can get up toward 96 - 98% but based on gas spectroscopy measurements you don't get to 100%.

RE improved mileage claims and less pressure rise claims. I would point out that fuel economy will be better with higher pressure so exactly how does preventing a pressure rise yield better fuel economy. The only way you can claim improved MPG is if you compare a tire that has not had its inflation maintained over a period of months vs a tire inflated with N2 that was maintained.

Bottom line. If someone is offering to inflate your tires with N2 at no cost and you don't have to make special trips (burn fuel) to top off your tires every few months or each travel season then I would say go for it.

I have both Argon and CO2/Argon mix gas available in my shop but when I inflate or add air to my tires, I just use my regular shop air. I do however maintain my air dryer and drain my compressor tank frequently.
Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.com to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #33
My 2 ,
Bought tires for Costco for car. They use nitogen,
After 1 year, haven't had to add air, still @ 36 PSI.
With tps sensors, less moisture is a good thing!
Cost of changing over, doubt it's worth it.
I know if you buy tires from Costco, they only use nitogen at no extra charge.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
N2 is used in the racing community because it's dry and has no moisture. Water condensed in air when heated will expand twice as much as regular air or N2. Believe me it's a science. That way the size the tire grows is better controlled. For a motorhome it's not anywhere that critical. Besides we used to vacuum down those tires after they were mounted then still purge them with N2 and no tire shop is going to do that. Don't waste your money.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nitrogen is a good thing. Regular air, as long as it is dry (you can put a dryer in line on your compressor) will perform nearly as well. Most dealers don't charge for it anymore and there are a few manufacturers that fill their tires with nitrogen at the factory as an added benefit. To me, its just a convenience not having the tires change pressure due to seasonal changes.

2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote