Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #15

Based on the size of your tires it appears you have a diesel pusher. Your onboard air compressor should go up to 130PSI. You just have to make sure your tanks are fully aired up before topping off your tires. If they are below the pressure you want your tires to be just hit the brake pedal a few times until the pressure drops below the set point to kick the compressor back in. If you are filling an empty tire the tanks don't need to be full when you start filling. However, as you get the tire up to the pressure in the tank it will stop filling the tire. Then you just stop trying to put air in, hit the brakes until the compressor starts again, wait until it kicks out and finish filling to the desired pressure. To make it easier, I just put an inexpensive dial type pressure gauge in the air hose line upstream of the nozzle. This lets me know the pressure in the tank when a remove the nozzle from the tire. The compressor on your engine is pretty high output so it will top off tires fast.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #16

I got tired of playing with my hotor compressor for the 125psi tires. Seems like it would get me just so far and I was then always having to drain pressure from the tanks so the compressor would kick in and get thoas last 5-7 pounds.

I bought DEWALT D55140 1-Gallon 135 PSI Max Trim Compressor through Amazon and am pleased. It will go to 135psi and takes care of my 295x22.5 tires. If the compressor cuts off, it will not kick on until about 105-110 but you can trigger that on this compressor by pulling the overpressure valve. The compressor is 115v and is small but very well built. for jobs requiring lesser pressures there's an adjustable regulator on it as well. I paid $109 delivered.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
You may not be interested but RV Geeks has 2 UTube videos of a system they devised to use your coach air tanks and a line. I tried it and it works. You can buy the supplies and build it yourself. Try to Google tire inflation (or similar) by RVGeeks.
For anyone that's interested, here's the "updated" one of the two videos Duoglide referenced:

UPDATE: High Pressure RV Tire Inflation - TheRVgeeks

I've used this system myself... works really well if you need pressures of up to about 105-110psi max. Above that, and it just takes too long. Plus, you need to be running your RV's engine while doing it, so if it's early in the AM when you're doing topping your tires up... you'll be the "ugly neighbor" in the park/campground!
Old 10-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have tried the Viair & Husky both at the ranch and quickly burned out both

Picked up this one and it works fine.

http://m.sears.com/porter-cable-150-...8-000069c8a270
Old 10-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I have tried the Viair & Husky both at the ranch and quickly burned out both.
Out of curiosity, do you remember what model Viair you "burned out"? They have a TON of models available, so not sure that they'd all be as susceptible to burning out.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:44 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Didn't know about different models, and couldn't say because it has been over a year ago
Old 10-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Just thought I'd post back after mentioning I had a Viair Compressor on order (the Viair 400P-RV Kit). It arrived this weekend and I got the chance to play around with it quite a bit... a couple of my RV's tires were down a few psi (some rears that need 85 psi were down around 82... and one of my fronts that need about 110psi were down around 105). Worked like a charm! Hooked it up to my car (parked in front of the coach), fired up the car's engine to be sure the alternator kept the battery charged (as per instructions) and used the 60' of coil hose to reach all 8 tires.

Compressor cycles on and off automatically, so while moving from one tire to another, it's not running. And it seemed to have plenty of oomph to inflate the tires... took very little time on each one (don't have exact numbers). I'm VERY happy!

Funniest part... the day after it arrived, I was going through my email and saw a notice of a new video from TheRVgeeks. Guess what? They got the same Viair I did! LOL! Made me feel pretty good for picking this one out all on my own!

(here's a link to the RVgeeks' video about the compressor for anyone interested: http://thervgeeks.com/product-recomm...res-made-easy/)

Now I can't wait for my tires to need air again! LOL!
Old 10-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #22

Commercial Member

Not sure why people are needing to re-inflate their tires. If you are checking your tires daily you should never need more than a couple psi.

If you have gone flat you should not be inflating the tire outside a cage as this is not safe or wise. Things can go wrong and you can kill yourself.

The video shows how to get to 125 psi. You have confirmed you need 125 based on actual tire loads?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Not sure why people are needing to re-inflate their tires. If you are checking your tires daily you should never need more than a couple psi.

If you have gone flat you should not be inflating the tire outside a cage as this is not safe or wise. Things can go wrong and you can kill yourself.

The video shows how to get to 125 psi. You have confirmed you need 125 based on actual tire loads?
I agree... but I don't think anyone is really talking about "re-inflating" a flat tire here. All most people want to be able to do is add the couple of PSI needed to bring a slightly-low tire back up to proper inflation pressure.

The problem is in what range of pressure you're inflating from and to.

Have a smaller RV with tires that only need about 80 psi? No problem. Diesel RVs have onboard systems that can easily handle that pressure and there are plenty of portables that are capable, too. But have a larger coach with a front axle that's bearing the load of full wall slides, solid hardwood cabinetry, ceramic tile flooring, 150 gallons of diesel fuel in a forward positioned tank... and you've got tires that easily need 105... 110... or 120psi.

Not all portable compressors can handle that pressure. Or, if they say they can, they can't necessarily handle the volume of air needed for the large tires found on these bigger coaches.

And what video are you referring to that mentioned inflating to 125psi? I don't recall seeing one as part of this thread.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #24
Community Moderator

my coach spec says to pump front to 120 and rear 105, i follow it and pump to 120 and 115 respectively. it runs great and gets great mileage.

can anyone elaborate the pros and cons of oil free and oil lubed compressors?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Assuming you have a pusher diesel - would not hooking up to the air nozel under the hood do the same thing?
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #26

Commercial Member

Video for pusher owners from post # 21
Old 10-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to DoubleCK
POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems

Our choice.
DoubleCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
bcbouinders

Take a close look at that Viair - it has a 33% DC rating
Depending on your needs it might not work for you

I use the 100% DC version a bit more $$ but well worth the extra expense
Had it for 5 years now - hard mount with a 5 gallon holding tank and three regulated outlets - Yes they are very good quality units
Absolutely, there is a big difference in these models. The so called RV model has only a 30% duty cycle so if one is not careful you could cook it easily.
For my money, I would go for the bigger unit for a few bucks more.

Think I will add this to my spring Wish List.

VIAIR Corporation - 12-Volt & 24-Volt C-Model Air Compressor Kits