Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #1

Tire inflator

Any suggestions on a portable tire inflator that is not too large. Need at least 125PSI and enough CFM to inflate 295.80.22.5 in a reasonable time. 120 v or 12 v will work
Cindycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #2

Wow!

This is a frequent topic and many articles can be found by searching the archives!

I use a small pancake air compressor I bought at Home Depot. Just be sure to get one rated to 150psig.

Good Luck.

JohnnyB
Old 09-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look at these. Light and ease to use. Will inflate many 295/80/22.5 tires 7 to 10# before it needs refilled. Info on site will confirm how many tires it can inflate, normal use it should last a few years.

POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems

Dave
Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
This is a frequent topic and many articles can be found by searching the archives!

I use a small pancake air compressor I bought at Home Depot. Just be sure to get one rated to 150psig.

Good Luck.

JohnnyB
Ditto. Mine is Craftsman, but same deal. You may find that the regulator tops out at 100 even if the compressor goes to 150. On mine, I just re-plumbed it and put a quick disconnect between the output and the regulator. That way I can run it with the regulator for bicycle tires and my paint sprayer, but pull the regulator off for use the with the MH tires.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sears, Lowes, Home Depot have nice pancake compressors. Don't bnother with a 12v system as they are way too slow. You can always use your genny to get the 110v you need.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #6

I put this one in my compartment with 110 volt plug.

I adjusted the pressure switch to 140 psi, it works like a champ, and I find more and more uses for it each trip.

Blowing out my grill, bicycle tires, sports equipment, Pool toys, etc.

A compressor can be very useful aside from inflating your coach tires.

Amazon.com: Makita MAC2400 Big Bore 2.5 HP Air Compressor: Home Improvement

I liked it so much I purchased another for my race car trailer.

Ted.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have a new Viair compressor on order from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit: Automotive

It's a little pricy, but from everything I've seen online, it gets very good reviews, comes with everything you need to inflate high-pressure RV tires, and looks very compact. I can report back with more info after I get to use it this weekend (it's scheduled to arrive later this week)!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #8

bcbouinders

Take a close look at that Viair - it has a 33% DC rating
Depending on your needs it might not work for you

I use the 100% DC version a bit more $$ but well worth the extra expense
Had it for 5 years now - hard mount with a 5 gallon holding tank and three regulated outlets - Yes they are very good quality units
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #9

Let me know how that one works out. Sounds good
Cindycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #10

The first one I got was an inflator. It is just the compressor and no tank. I had to use it and took about 15 minutes to go about 10 psi to get to 90 psi in the tire. It is 110 volt.

Husky 120-Volt Inflator-HY120 at The Home Depot

Since we were going full time I wanted a better one. So I got this one from Menards that is a Fini Air Boss. It is 1 1/2 hp 110 v AC. I aired my tires getting ready to head out and it was very fast. It is bigger, but a lot faster. It has an adjustable regulator and a quick coupler so you can connect other air tools. It comes with an inflator hose with a quick snap on air chuck which I can't use on the outside duals. It also comes with a regular air hose that I put my dual foot air chuck on. That doesn't bother me to hold the air chuck on it because it airs so quick.

http://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=air+boss
Old 10-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
bcbouinders

Take a close look at that Viair - it has a 33% DC rating
Depending on your needs it might not work for you

I use the 100% DC version a bit more $$ but well worth the extra expense
Had it for 5 years now - hard mount with a 5 gallon holding tank and three regulated outlets - Yes they are very good quality units
@KJINTF,

Not sure what the "33% DC rating" and "100% DC rating" mean... can you elaborate?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #12

bc

Take a close look at the product's user manual suggest you read the fine print related to use time and down time aka cool down requirements and the operating temps for the unit - heat destroys things very quickly

Duty Cycle all comes down to heat dissipation - and motor / compressor burn up aka FIRE - If you intend to let a compressor just fill a 100psi tire many times it takes 10 minutes or more. Again download the user manual on the specific motor/ compressor combination you are considering - a DC rating of 35% means it can NOT be run long before it will self destruct (check the warranty it is NOT covered under that circumstance) your 10 minute tire inflation turned into a nightmare and cost extra $$. From what I have seen this is the reason for the majority of low cost low DC motor/compressor failures. Stay away from the Quick Air III 12 Vdc units they can easily start a fire

For me unless it's 100% DC and operating at 80F for long periods rated it's NOT for me - but to each their own
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
KJINTF,

Interesting. Never knew about duty cycles before. Makes sense, though. These little compressors certainly have to work hard to inflate these big tires.

I'm not too worried about the cycle time on the Viair I have on order... I only ever need to add a few psi to each tire at a time (I check them regularly). I never inflate from flat (or very low), so duty cycle shouldn't be an issue for me.

Good to know, though!

And as a full-timer, I've got limited space for any new "toys" Anything much bigger than what I'm getting and I won't have room for it, LOL!

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #14

You may not be interested but RV Geeks has 2 UTube videos of a system they devised to use your coach air tanks and a line. I tried it and it works. You can buy the supplies and build it yourself. Try to Google tire inflation (or similar) by RVGeeks.