Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tire Inspection Cost

My 6 year old Michelins are due for an inspection at an authorized dealer. I was curious what others have paid to have their tires inspected inside and out. My tires are 295/80/22.5 on Accuride rims.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Save your money on inspection and buy new tires.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Bob, how many miles do you have on them? Most rv's won't wear a tire out as you know. Depending on the visual condition (no checking and good wear) I would run them for a couple of years more. (dependant on condition) Like Mike stated, I also would not pay for a inspection on tires, just take some time and look them over yourself and see what they look like and go from there.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our tire deal charges $20. per tire to demount, inspect tire and remount.
We're at 4 years and 25,000 miles with the infamoue Goodyear "rivering" showing up (not bad). Going to rotate them for a little more use.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #5

$120 vs new tires is like FREE

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

IMO (and Michelin's) the only inspection that is worthwhile requires dismounting the tire, which means a cost of $20-$25 per tire at most shops. And if it was balanced with Equal or Dynabeads or other inside-the-tire ingredient, you will probably have to pay for rebalancing too (the stuff will be lost when dismounting). That could add another $20 or so per tire.

If the guy is just going to walk out and look at the tire without dismounting it to check inside, the "inspection" ought to be free (and worth every penny you oaid for it).

If the tire looks good externally at 6 years and still has plenty of tread, I think a paid inspection may be worthwhile. Based on a good inspection report, I would consider running the tire to 8 years. However, I would be concerned that the techs at the tire shop aren't tire engineers and really aren't well-trained in what to look for. Or they will report based on the tire lore they learned around the shop rather than Michelins standards.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #7

The only way to truly inspect a tire is to dismount it from the rim. Anyone can look at a tire and see no cracking, bulges, etc and pronounce it good. Don't waste your $$ to have someone look at your tires, you can do that.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #8

What a money pit
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series with 17500mi
Went to Les Schwab today to see what the price of a set (6) Goodyear 295/80R-22.5/16 G670 RV Low Profile Highway would run. They had to call the paramedics $5556.92 out the door with the front wheel spin balance.
The same tire in the Michelins XZA2 going through FMCA should run $4076.70 +install, what did i get myself into. My 5er is looking better all the time.
The good thing about LS is they are everywhere (west coast) and just a mile down the road.
The Michelins through LS would be about $5200 with a same build date as the order.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
[QUOTE=Gary RVRoamer;1426217]If it was balanced with Equal or Dynabeads or other inside-the-tire ingredient, you will probably have to pay for rebalancing too (the stuff will be lost when dismounting). That could add another $20 or so per tire.QUOTE]

Our tire store says the balancing beads will be saved and reused. We'll find out at 10AM this morning. They are the oldest tire store in Austin so they should know what they're talking about.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
They are the oldest tire store in Austin so they should know what they're talking about.
Do they have Factory trained Goodyear tire inspectors?
With a certificate from the training?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #11

[QUOTE=H. Miller;1427005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If it was balanced with Equal or Dynabeads or other inside-the-tire ingredient, you will probably have to pay for rebalancing too (the stuff will be lost when dismounting). That could add another $20 or so per tire.QUOTE]

Our tire store says the balancing beads will be saved and reused. We'll find out at 10AM this morning. They are the oldest tire store in Austin so they should know what they're talking about.
If the tire dealer is competent they will indeed save the balancing beads or powder. We needed a tire repaired after running over a nail in a parking lot. I told the the tire company they had been balanced with Equal balancing powder. No problem they said. We break it down by hand and vacuum out the powder.

That's exactly what they did. Once all the powder was out they wiped out the casing and patched the tire from the inside. When it came time to reinstall the powder they weighed what they had removed, looked on the chart to see how much was required, made up the difference and put it all back in the tire.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I just changed out my Michelin XRV's after 8 years, no checking or cracks anywhere. These were on the rear and I always cover my tires when idle for three or more days. BTW, my 235/80R 22.5's were 2205.00 out the door for 4 at Les Swab. I change the fronts at 6 years or first sign of a crack. Just my thing.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
What a money pit
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series with 17500mi
Went to Les Schwab today to see what the price of a set (6) Goodyear 295/80R-22.5/16 G670 RV Low Profile Highway would run. They had to call the paramedics $5556.92 out the door with the front wheel spin balance.
The same tire in the Michelins XZA2 going through FMCA should run $4076.70 +install, what did i get myself into. My 5er is looking better all the time.
The good thing about LS is they are everywhere (west coast) and just a mile down the road.
The Michelins through LS would be about $5200 with a same build date as the order.
2 stroker
Stroker, somewhere recently somebody had bought some of the XZA2 tires here on the forum and they only lasted about 3 years before starting to show signs of checking/sidewall cracking. Michelin puts those XZA2 tires out as a multi purpose tire, not specifically for RV's. The XRV is specifically designed for RV use, including UV resistance, etc for long periods of sitting.
While spending that much money on tires is obscene, ( just did last year) think about moving into the XRV for another 5-10%. I think it is worth it.

Bob, I had my tires inspected twice last year as well, but they did not remove them, just crawled under the coach, moved it forward, and crawled under again, checking with a tread tool, flashlight between the duallys, etc. I felt much better with the inspections passing on my old tires. They were Goodyear GV 670 RV tires (19.5) and had been on the coach since production (10 Years) I just replaced them last October with new XRV Michelins. Was absolutely shocked at the difference the new tires made in handling, noise, ride, and even squirming was way down. (Someone else correctly pointed out-all new tires will do that)

Now, tires are like children here on this forum as we all know, so everybody is protective over their own experiences and everybody has a well informed opinion on them. Be sure that my opinion here is just that. I do not have scientific evidence or a white sheet to support my opinion.

Good luck!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #14

" ........ Was absolutely shocked at the difference the new tires made in handling, noise, ride, and even squirming was way down. (Someone else correctly pointed out-all new tires will do that)"

Of course a new tire will ride and handle better than a 10 year old one. Same thing with a 2003 vehicle versus a 2013.

So a comment about a new tire being better riding than the old tires really isn't saying anything about the tire