Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #1

Tire maintenance

I have been following several blogs regarding tire maintenance, It is easy to understand the importance of maintaining proper tire inflation, covering tires to prevent UV damage and making sure the tread depth is adequate. I would appreciate any input regarding the following additional items:
  1. If a coach is in storage for several months at a time, can tire life fe extended if the unit is jacked up off the ground to keep the tires from getting flat spots?
  2. Will reducing inflation pressure to some low level relieve stress and extend tire life if the tires are off the ground, as in #1 above?
  3. Will inflating tires with nitrogen rather than air extend life?
  4. Is there a recommended 'sunscreen' for tires to protect them from UV exposure?
Thanks,
AK Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #2

Using the jacks to raise the MH while is storage takes pressure off the tires and suspension which is good for both. I'm not sure reducing the tire pressure will have any measurable impact.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Bill View Post
I have been following several blogs regarding tire maintenance, It is easy to understand the importance of maintaining proper tire inflation, covering tires to prevent UV damage and making sure the tread depth is adequate. I would appreciate any input regarding the following additional items:
  1. If a coach is in storage for several months at a time, can tire life fe extended if the unit is jacked up off the ground to keep the tires from getting flat spots? (Yes but I am not sure if it is worthe the effort of jacking up your RV. You need good jack, strong jack stands and an RV with easy to get to places to jsck. I decrease flat spots by inflating tires to the pressure on the the tire)
  2. Will reducing inflation pressure to some low level relieve stress and extend tire life if the tires are off the ground, as in #1 above?(Yes IF the tires have been removed from the vehicle)
  3. Will inflating tires with nitrogen rather than air extend life?(Maybe but I'm not sure it's worth the cost. You can read this post.)
  4. Is there a recommended 'sunscreen' for tires to protect them from UV exposure?( Best sunscreen is a white tire cover. It will stop 100% of UV and also keep the tire cool. Heat can do more damage than UV)
Thanks,
AK Bill
Good questions. I have posted answers above.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

Tires on most coaches expire on date not wear. Class A coach tires are designed to run 100,000 miles as they are basically truck tires with a softer ride. Wash them with soak and water and keep the proper air pressure they will last until the recommended replacement date arrives.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I've used Armour-All on my tires and many other things for years for UV protection and shine. My current RV tires are now 10 years old and not 1 sidewall crack on any of them. Many use 303 Protectant which is good stuff. Of course regardless of looks, 10 years is over the recommended replacement time and I'm taking a chance. Some think this is bad for tires, so they use covers.

Nitrogen - to me is a bunch of BS. Air itself is 79% nitrogen. So 21% more is a miracle?

Keeping Jacks down probably helps some. I don't do it in long term outside storage because of jack shafts rusting. Of course treating them with lithium grease would cure that, but then you get dirt stuck to them , so I just don't do it.

I'm sure I will be shot at over my way to do things, but my Jap tires are 10 years old.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #6

Thanks to all of you who replied to my original question, your input is greatly appreciated to a newby.
AK Bill

Tags
maintenance