Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
If anybody's still kickin' around out there, let me ask you this: I haven't touched the jacks at all overnight but this morning when I was messing about the site, I noticed that the left front tire now appears to be totally on the ground or so close you can't really tell the difference. My right rear jack is also about 2 inches (maybe even less) off the ground now. Did it shift in the night? Is this majorly problematic? We're here just tonight and then putting her in storage until next weekend. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
If anybody's still kickin' around out there, let me ask you this: I haven't touched the jacks at all overnight but this morning when I was messing about the site, I noticed that the left front tire now appears to be totally on the ground or so close you can't really tell the difference. My right rear jack is also about 2 inches (maybe even less) off the ground now. Did it shift in the night? Is this majorly problematic? We're here just tonight and then putting her in storage until next weekend. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Could be you have leaky hydraulics, or that the ground settled underneath the jacks. Hard to say which with the information given.

Does the front left jack appear to have sunken into the ground any? Does there appear to be any hydraulic fluid leaking anywhere?

I know on my tractor, I had some seals in the hydraulic control valves go bad that allowed raised implements to 'settle' over time, even though there was no fluid escaping the system. I don't know if this can happen in the jack system on an RV, but I suspect it could.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Nah, no sinking. We're in a campground on a concrete pull-thru site. No fluid is evident on the ground near any jack but I'll take a closer look at the jacks themselves.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I think the seabreeze is a gas coach. On mine (a Dolphin), the hydraulic plumbing and pump is in the engine compartment on the drivers side. Check there too.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #19

Regarding levelling the fridge, most can stand at least 5 degrees front to back (of the fridge) and 4 degrees side to side. That translates to about 8" out of level sideways and a couple of feet front to back in the MH and there is no way anyone would be comfortable with that much of a slope in the floor.

Could be you have leaking solenoid valves that are letting the rams retract slowly overnight. We occasionally get little noises that are likely the jacks easing a bit but it is never noticeable looking at them.

Does your MH have airbag suspension that you can dump to lower it before you start levelling. That would give you a bigger range of movement before a wheel comes off the ground. I've had front wheels waaay off the ground but I try to keep at least one of the back wheels on the ground. If you have any sort of driveline parking brake then because of the differential, once you get even one back wheel off the ground, you have lost your parking brakes.

I personally think the prohibition on getting back wheels off the ground in a airbraked rig is a bit of a furphy except in really really exceptional cases. For one thing, do people really gauge how much weight is actually on the tyre when it might be so close to lift-off that there is essentially no friction between the tyre and the ground. Even then, the usual jacks aren't that flimsy that they can't hold the sideways forces imposed by the rig being a couple of degrees off level.

Back to your problem - you could try cycling the levelling jacks up and down many times to see if it is just long term inaction that is causing a bit of sticking in one or two valves. If they are slow to lift, clean the rams and spray them with silicone lubricant.

BTW - yours may differ but normally either the two front jacks or the two back ones are coupled together and it is the other two jacks that can be used to make the side to side adjustments. With manually controlled jacks it is pretty easy to chase around in circles and end up a wheel way off the ground and a jack on the opposite side off the ground as well. When that happens just start from scratch by raising all jacks clear of the ground and then lowering front jacks until they just hit the ground then do the same with the rear. Then level front to back but don't go beyond the suspension travel limits at first. Then level side to side as best you can without lifting a back wheel (assuming it is the back jacks with individual control) At that point you have to decide whether it is level enough or whether you need to go a bit further.

But I agree - trying this out for the first time on a badly sloped site (although very bad that a concrete slab is so out of level) late in the evening is not a good learning environment

Never compulsory to put the jacks down - although deploying slides changes that a bit - so if we are just stopping for the night and slope is such that the cookware doesn't slide off the stove AND my head is uphill in bed, then I don't bother with the jacks