Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #1

Tire Opinions

I am a newbie. I recently purchased a 1999 Damon 34 ft. It still has the original F rated 245/70/19.5 Goodyear G159s on it. They look like new both tread and sidewalls, but according to the date codes, they are well over 12 years old. So... I am looking for new tires. If possible, I want to spend under $2000 total for all 6 mounted, etc.
I can get a set of Kumho 963 for $1778 (Korean made?)
or Kumho KRS03 for $2231 (Korean made?)
or Cooper/Road Master RM170 for $1674 (Some places say these are US other say China???)
or Hercules H902 for $1767 (Some places say these are US other say China???)
or Toyo (unsure of the model) for $2465 (Japan I assume?)
or Hankook (unsure of model) for $2035 (Korea?)
or Double Coin RT500 for $1525 (China, I hear in a Michelin joint factory?)

Leaving political thought out of it (buy only American), what do you guys thinks? Especially those with actual experience with these particular tires. Any other brands/models not listed I should look into? I looked in to Sumitomo, but the 19.5s are only 65 MPH rated. I would prefer 75 MPH or better to be safe. My usage will be very infrequent.

I am leaning towards the Kumho 963. Kumho seems to be a good Korean made tire. The odd thing is that the 963 shows up on the Kumhon Canada site, but not the Kumho US site. What is different between the 963 vs the KRS03?

Thanks for any insight.
tulsacars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tulsacars,
Welcome to iRV2. Back in the 80s I had Cooper (19.5) tires on a coach. Never had any problems with them. That was a long time ago. I think Cooper's reputation remains high.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've loved Cooper for years. Just put them on my '08 Cherokee Diesel and find them far superior to the Goodyear Forterra that was OE.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chinese Tires

Tires made in China are dangerous on RV's. 12 year old tires may be even more so! I don't know if Goodyear was making tires in China 12 years ago but they sure do now. I lost count of how many (Chinese) Goodyear Marathon tires I've scrapped.

This link : Tire Codes 01-0P will take you to a country of origin list for tires. There are multiple pages and it is disturbing how few brands are made anywhere other than China.

Regardless of what the salespeople say, ASK to see the actual tires and look at the origin code for yourself.

Personally I insisted on Michelins for my Bounder. Not cheap. But taking into consideration how much weight is on them and what a major PITA having a flat in a motor home is I think it's worth the extra cash.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #5

I have to purchase tires before my next trip too, and i have been trying to figure out which ones are good, but I also want to save money. I was going to get the same ones i have, which is toyo 120 something but i looked online and they are pricey. Maybe not pricey to some but pricey to me. So im thinking maybe cooper or yokohama. I also have a question about them. The tire i have is 255/70/22.5 and i think load H. do i buy the same size and load with a different brand?
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #6

I recently, after deep research, installed Double Coin tires.

The same old, tired, arguments against overseas made tire use are the same used against Honda and Toyota auto's years ago. IMHO.

Ed
USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #7

I considered Double Coin until I learned their 19.5s are only 65 MPH rated. To be safe I want a 75 MPH rated tire. Same with Sumitomo, their 19.5s are only 65 MPH rated.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take care of your tires and they will take care of you. Particularly when they are not in use---downtime is not good for anytire.

You will hear lots of good and bad about all tires regardless of brand.

By limiting yourself to $2000 for six you have eliminated much of the market. In reality I have heard good and bad about all tires you have listed (never heard of double coin or Hercules). Toyo and Hankook seem to have many good comments about them as alternatives to the more pricey brands Michelin and Goodyear. I personnal was prepared to go with Toyos but remained with Michelin (happily so) when I found a really nice price albiet more than your limit.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Experience.

As a techie I have to deal with tons of stuff manufactured in China. It's all been pretty good. Very few computers are made anywhere else.

Tires are another thing. My tire destruction ratio is somethng like 9 to 1. Approximatly 9 Chinese tires have failed me in my 40 something years of RV'ing, and one Michelin. The Michelin was 8 years old and severely overloaded by the manufacturer of the motor home. Every other failed tire had very little mileage and was between 2 and 5 years old.

Even with a TPMS I don't trust them. Even after doing the proper maintenance I don't trust them.

Before you buy ANY tire check the reviews and statistics on that particular tire at sites like www.thetirerack.com. I had a tire person highly recommend a trailer tire so I bought a full set. One of them lasted less than 500 miles and damaged my trailer when it nuked, stranding me on the road to Vegas for nearly 4 hours.

If bias = experience, I am both.

Muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Michelin... Don't leave home without them
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Michelin for me----I just got new shoes for my car and MH and a good price from Costco. I do not know if they can be had @19.5" size installed for the $2000. the OP's price restriction is already limiting. So he is asking where to go from there.

Had my Michelin MH tires ten years no problem. Went back for more.

W/O the limit from the OP I would use Michelin---experience = bias actually
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time on the site. As far as the tire question I like the Michelin's but there again the price is usually over the top. We had Firestone's on our previous motorhome and they were a good riding tire. Give them a shot if they make one in the size your looking for.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #13

OK. I have narrowed it down to either the 245/70R/19.5
Kumho KRS03 14ply G load 133L 75MPH for $2000 total for 6 mounted and balanced
or
Hankkok AH11 14ply G load 133L 75MPH for $2035 total for 6 mounted and balanced
Out of these two what do you guys think?
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #14

I had a f53 chassis with new kumos the same size and the ride was extremly to harsh and rattle our teeth. I spent more money on new shocks and steering stabilier, equal, then had the equal removed and spin balance. I bought a new coach and put michelin on there. Kumos are heavy duty truck tires. Before I put mich, I had other truck tires, general, the whole coach rattled, so michelin will make it easier on your coach. If you live in southeast, I would recommend snider tires. I bought 6 22.5 275 xza3 with spin bal for less the 3000, super deal. Motorhome tire have softer side walls. Im sure you'll have fun with your new moho.
Eagle123 is offline   Reply With Quote