Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #1

tire pressure

I recently bought the Tire Pressure Pro 8000 off of amazon. After I put it on, it said my tires had between 75-90lbs of air in. I brought it in, had air put in to 110lbs. The TPMS then said most had 90lbs in but one still was at 80lbs. I checked them again, and they where all at 100-105lbs.

Is something wrong with my TPMS? Is it possible that my tires are actually low? I am going to try and bring it into a place that specializes in tires to really find out.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas I could have them check for? I can't see anything in the TPMS that says I need to calibrate anything....

Also I had someone at a dealership help me this time, but do most truck stops have tire pressure gauges or do I need to always bring my own?
dropframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you are airing up your tires always have an accurate tire gauge available.

Look in the tire sensor where it mounts to valve stem for blockage of any type. Sometimes the o ring can be displaced cause it to bloc air flow to the sensor resulting in an error.

Make sure the sensor if fully seated on the valve stem. Do not over tighten you might destroy the o ring. I snug mine up with then one more half turn. If the sensor is not sealed to the valve stem it could leak causing the tires to loose pressure.

I use a Blue Point digital tire gauge. My TST TPMS and the gauge are always within a pound of each other.

Until you use an accurate gauges to verify the pressure in your tires you will not be able to sort this out.

Hoefully someone with your brand of TPMS will see your question and offer other tips.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
As stated above, an accurate tire gauge is a must. Most people do NOT have one and when people start getting real anal about the pressure they run, and then use a $2.99 gauge all I can do is shake my head. Invest in a good one.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #4

OP said 'I brought it in, had air put in to 110lbs', which I take to mean he took it to a shop and they set the pressure.

If that's the case, I wonder (and can't quite remember) if the Pressure Pro senders aren't suppose to be purchased for a certain range of pressure. Perhaps he got senders that maxed at 90lbs? The batteries are suppose to last 5 years, but what's the date code of the system you bought?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #5

The Pressure Pro sensors have a seal inside that has a little "tit" in the centre that should engage the valve core BEFORE the seal is bottomed.You should hear a small amount of air escape as the sensor is screwed on.A consciensious dealer will give you a few of them with the system.The Texas dealer I dealt with,did not which caused me some trouble on the road.A dealer in Calgary gave me some even though he did not sell the original system.Will probably do business with him in future!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi dropframe,
My Pressure Pro TPMS sensors have never read the same as the actual PSI. They are off (always low) by 2 or 3 PSI. They are consistently off by the same amount. I take this into consideration and always us my two tire gages to fill the tires to the correct PSI. For me the TPMS is there just to let me know when the PSI drops.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi dropframe,
My Pressure Pro TPMS sensors have never read the same as the actual PSI. They are off (always low) by 2 or 3 PSI. They are consistently off by the same amount. I take this into consideration and always us my two tire gages to fill the tires to the correct PSI. For me the TPMS is there just to let me know when the PSI drops.
I was thinking about this as well and I'll bet you could take 10 pressure gauges and get 10 different readings most of the time. It's nuts to worry about 2-3 pounds, just look for the big drop.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you sure it wasn't the "PressurePlus 8000" system you bought on Amazon?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #9

Yes - sorry it was PressurePlus 8000 from Amazon.
dropframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

remember....when dealing with 100psi............off 1lb or 2 is only 1-2%.....that is not much and 99% of all gauges will vary between gauges usually more than 1-2%

if your not prepared to spend $100+ on a gauge...accuracy is not going to be good.....your best off worrying bout consistency....a gauge off a pound or 2 isn't as bad as 1 that won't repeat...time after time after time

Remember also.....a good accurate gauge is a precision tool...it should not be dropped, thrown around etc

When dealing with race cars and having 1/4 lb make or break the cars' traction/handling...you learn how important a gauge is and how a cheap gauge is good for 1 thing...the trash! When tires cost $350-$650....don't cheap out on a gauge
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have five different tire pressure gauges. I measured the same tire with all five and use the two gauges that came up with the same reading.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went to NAPA and bought as certified gauge, set a tire using it them check your other gauges. I also have a digital gauge that reads in .5 psi increments but I just had to send it back for repairs as it wouldn't reset to 0.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The OP was off by 10 to 15 pounds.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote