Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 616
Tire pressure

I have 225/70R19.5 tires (8) on a 36' Dolphin. They were installed new in 03/2011 when I bought it.

The sticker on the inside of the coach says psi should be 65psi.

The printed psi on the tires is 110psi.

They were filled at 90psi and I have been running them at that pressure for almost a year but less than a 1000 miles.

What would the proper psi be for 19,500 lbs GVWR?
__________________

__________________
John & Deanie, Corky and Benji (best buddies)
2001 National Marlin 390 DP
"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you."
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,517
Just a guess 85 to 90 no way to tell exactly with out weight.
__________________

__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 115
ALL tires have a max PSI and a max load rating molded into the sidewall. Look at your passenger car tires, it is there also. Tires are built to a max load standard, and that rating is at their max COLD pressure. Vehicle manufactures then spec a PSI for that tire's position on the vehicle. Front vs rear PSI based on the weight load on that axle/tire combination. Most vehicle manufactures also spec the change (increase) in PSI if you carry an additional load. I can explain more if you are interested. The most important thing is to have enough air in the tire COLD, check them often, and never let air out of a hot tire, pressure increases with temp, that is normal.
__________________
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Monacoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
What would the proper psi be for 19,500 lbs GVWR?
What you need is your front and rear axle gvw ratings which will also be posted inside your coach. If you post those figures we can easily suggest a psi based on the tire charts. However your manufacturer will have posted in your coach the suggested psi based on the gross weight of your vehicle which is most likely the 65 psi that you mentioned. If you would like to run at a lower psi you would have to weigh all four corners, take the highest weight of each axle and then look at the chart.
__________________
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 616
TPMS

I have ordered a TPMS system from Truck Systems and need to determine best tire pressure to use and program in the system.

Thanks for the feedback.
__________________
John & Deanie, Corky and Benji (best buddies)
2001 National Marlin 390 DP
"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you."
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 616
5500 front and 4500 rear.
__________________
John & Deanie, Corky and Benji (best buddies)
2001 National Marlin 390 DP
"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you."
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 115
You can run a pressure higher than the one that the vehicle manufacture recommends, but never run a lower pressure! That can lead to a sudden tire failure!
__________________
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
jzick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,193
The only way to know what air pressure to run is to load the unit for travel and have it weighed on four corners. You can then go to the tire manufacturer's web site and find the pressure tables. This will tell you what pressures to use. Without weights you are just guessing.
__________________
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdbus View Post
ALL tires have a max PSI and a max load rating molded into the sidewall. Look at your passenger car tires, it is there also. Tires are built to a max load standard, and that rating is at their max COLD pressure. Vehicle manufactures then spec a PSI for that tire's position on the vehicle. Front vs rear PSI based on the weight load on that axle/tire combination. Most vehicle manufactures also spec the change (increase) in PSI if you carry an additional load. I can explain more if you are interested. The most important thing is to have enough air in the tire COLD, check them often, and never let air out of a hot tire, pressure increases with temp, that is normal.
On truck tires the pressure on the sidewalls is the MINIMUM pressure to support the MAXIMUM carrying capacity of the tire, it is NOT the maximum the tire should ever have like a car tire.

From page 2 of the 06/07 Michelin RV Tire Guide: "If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."

From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 616
The tires are:

BFGoodrich
225/70R19.5 ST230 LRG

Loads per axle
psi kPa lbs. kg.
Single Dual Single Dual

65 450 5510 10400 2500 4720
70 480 5790 10880 2620 4920
75 520 6080 11440 2760 5200
80 550 6390 12000 2900 5440
85 590 6630 12460 3000 5640
90 620 6900 12980 3140 5880
95 660 7280 13660 3300 6200
100 690 7430 13960 3380 6320
105 720 7690 14460 3480 6560
110 760 7940 15000 3600 6800

Max Load & Pressure on Sidewall
110 psi 110 psi 760 kPa 760 kPa
3970 3750 1800 1700

This is a chart from a dealer's website for this tire. I tried to format it to read easier but this forum editor won't keep it when I review it and I assume post it.

It looks like I'm way over the recommended psi of 65 for my weight at 90psi.

1. What pros or cons to keeping it around 90 psi?

2. What pros or cons to setting it >= the 65 psi?

Thanks John
__________________
John & Deanie, Corky and Benji (best buddies)
2001 National Marlin 390 DP
"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you."
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,832
Pressure on sticker is with the unit empty or at best an estimate
Pressure on tire clearly says it is the maximum pressure the tire is rated at when cold

To find the proper pressure go to the tire maker's web site and download the pressure chart for your tire or you can try RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida they have links to most tire makers inflation pages there, may be easier
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Monacoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
5500 front and 4500 rear
What are these numbers?
Quote:
Pressure on sticker is with the unit empty or at best an estimate
I disagree. PSI on sticker is for unit fully loaded ( GVWR) they post the gvwr and stamp the psi right next to it.
__________________
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On truck tires the pressure on the sidewalls is the MINIMUM pressure to support the MAXIMUM carrying capacity of the tire, it is NOT the maximum the tire should ever have like a car tire.

From page 2 of the 06/07 Michelin RV Tire Guide: "If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."

From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
First post to point out the truth, first post to be right on target. The sidewall pressure is the minimum pressure needed to hold the maximum weight. If you have less than the maximum weight on the tires you may lower the pressure. So as some others said, weigh your coach and determine what pressure you need from the manufactures site.
__________________
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
First post to point out the truth, first post to be right on target. The sidewall pressure is the minimum pressure needed to hold the maximum weight. If you have less than the maximum weight on the tires you may lower the pressure. So as some others said, weigh your coach and determine what pressure you need from the manufactures site.
Right, but ... as a practical matter, since you can't (or certainly shouldn't) add more load beyond the maximum capacity, there is no reason to add more air pressure either. (Unless you like riding on "Fred Flintstone" tires, i.e. "rocks.") Thus, the sidewall pressure shown is effectively the maximum cold pressure you would ever need in that tire.

But yes, the best pressure is that calculated by weighing the coach at each wheel, and setting pressures accordingly using the tire manufacturer's load/pressure tables. And, of course, using the same air pressure for both sides of any given axle.
__________________

__________________
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire pressure monitoring system lillyputz Gear and Product Discussions 5 11-27-2011 06:30 PM
High altitude tire pressure okmunky iRV2.com General Discussion 15 10-31-2011 09:19 PM
TST Tire pressure sensing smlranger Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 5 10-30-2011 05:45 AM
Help with Tire Pressure Cathy&Paula Newmar Owner's Forum 10 05-19-2010 10:29 PM
A couple of tire pressure questions JayGee Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 13 04-27-2010 09:16 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.