Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #1

Tire pressure

Newbie here with a tmc daybreak the sticker by the drivers seat says 95 psi for all four tires I'm going on a trip to florida with all tanks full and a few things in storage but not a lot of extra weight should I stay at 95 or go up a few thanks
Rvnerd1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The pressure on the sticker is only good if you've never weighed the rig OR if loaded to full capacity.
The only way to know for sure what pressure to run is to weigh it as loaded for use, then consult the weight/pressure charts for that manufacturer and model/size of the tire.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #3

Ok thanks I will get that info from thor
Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #4

RVnerd - I do not agree that pressures listed on sticker on coach are not good to go by. These numbers are usually to "lawyer proof" the maker and so very safe to use these inflation figures. If you want to ride a little more comfortably you can weight the coach on all sides and go to the internet to see what inflation needs to be. But going by the sticker usually means it is quite safe.

What tire pressure to use is a debated topic with lots of different opinions. A couple years back I went to the factory with our coach and they put the tire pressure to the sticker values. They told me it would ride better. Guess what, they were right. Drove better using the sticker values.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnerd1971 View Post
Ok thanks I will get that info from thor
Bear in mind, Thor cannot provide you with your actual weight of your coach with you and all your 'stuff' loaded for travel. You WILL need to get your coach weighed..... preferably each of the four corners, but front and rear axle weights would do, too.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
RVnerd - I do not agree that pressures listed on sticker on coach are not good to go by. These numbers are usually to "lawyer proof" the maker and so very safe to use these inflation figures. If you want to ride a little more comfortably you can weigh the coach on all sides and go to the internet to see what inflation needs to be. But going by the sticker usually means it is quite safe.

What tire pressure to use is a debated topic with lots of different opinions. A couple years back I went to the factory with our coach and they put the tire pressure to the sticker values. They told me it would ride better. Guess what, they were right. Drove better using the sticker values.
Didn't say going by the sticker was "unsafe". What I said was that it was only good if the rig hasn't been weighed or is at it's maximum rated capacity.
What I posted is exactly what the tire manufacturers put in their handbooks and is backed by numerous articles in magazines.
The tire manufacturers put out the weight/pressure charts for a reason: underpressure will overheat the tires, improper wear and cause zipper failures, overpressure can lead to improper wear, and make them more susceptable to impact damage.
Every RV owner should find a copy of the RV manuals. I have them for Michelin, Goodyear and Toyo.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #7

Thanks for both comments for now I'm just going with the 95psi on the sticker and a later date for sure get it weighed thanks
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #8

You know I do not understand the RV builders. They list a tire PSI and what you should look at is the Max PSI on the tire! Ford Explorer I know it is not a rv but they wanted far less that what tire manufactures wanted and see what happened... My Fleetwood Revolution states 120 psi all tires. I say MAX PSI for what the tires want.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #9

I had a job a long time ago selling automotive tires and my employer sent me to training courses. They said tires should be inflated to what the vehicle manufacturer tag says (usually in the door jamb), not the max pressure on sidewall of the tire. The auto manufacturers know the weight distribution of the vehicle and using standard weights for occupants and cargo determine the recommended tire pressure. That was auto tires. In my opinion RV manufacturers are probably less accurate with weights and my guess is that the tire pressure placard lists the max pressure for the tires installed when it left the factory. I agree with the folks that recommend weighing for the most accurate pressure because there is an ideal pressure for the weight being carried. Too much weight for the pressure equals heat and failure. Too much pressure for the weight equals less contact patch and more likely to be damaged by bruising/impact damage (can't think of the word) or puncture. I think the key is to find a happy median. Also only in my opinion, the risks in running the tires at the sidewall stated max inflation are less than running under-inflated. I think more of handling issues than tire failure.
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #10

Get the coach on a scale. Go to the tire manufacturer's website and look for the proper inflation. Safe travels.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
OH boy.......

Be prepared at the truck stop scales.........long line of semi's at the scales "all" the time (long lines)......... as they are also weighing their rigs and adjusting their tire pressure..........
Old 01-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
National RV labeled tire pressures' at minimum pressure to carry the axle rated weight.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote