Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire Pressure

Being a newbie and have taken the maiden voyage as yet, this whole tire pressure thing has me rattled. In my MH I have 86PSI all around. By the way this is a Fleetwood BOUNDER 33C. I want to take it out this weekend but I know we will not have loaded for "the long haul" yet. The is a truck stop within 28 miles. I guess my question two pronged. One: Is there a generic PSI I can start with? Two: are these truck stops with the CAT Scales RV friendly?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You didn't say what year your is. Update your Signature and we can help you better.
For now look some where near the drivers seat and there should be a sticker with the recommended Tire pressures on it. Start there first, also understand that it is for a loaded to the max MH with full water and propane and fuel. If you are not loaded it may ride harsh.
As far as the scales go ahead and use them. If they are really busy then pull off to the side go inside and talk to the Weigh Master and explain that you are without a clue and want to perform this correctly. They are normally pretty good, just don't piss of the truck drivers
Most of the Cat scales will weigh the front axle and each rear tire separately and your Toad. Just make sure you place it in the correct position.
Good luck

If you have not loaded the MH with any of your stuff yet, you may want to make a trip to the scales early in the morning with only water, propane and fuel. Then go home and load in the junk and make a return trip to the scale and weigh it again loaded. You may be amazed in how much junk you put in it. As far as the cost of the scale, they usually give you a same day discount. It use to cost about $8 the first weigh of the day and $1 for each weigh after that during the same day.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TWINCAMSAM-

In the absence of weighing results, you should inflate to the pressure indicated on your Bounder's certification placard (label)- assuming the tires mounted on the coach match the size and rating indicated on the placard. This is the "generic" pressure. Note: The listed pressures may be different for the tires on the front and rear axles.

All tires on an axle should be inflated to the same pressure.

In the absence of any information, or if the placard information does not apply or is in conflict, inflate to the pressure listed on the tire sidewall for the maximum load.

I have not been to a CAT scale. People who have report that you should bring a stepstool or short ladder with you, in case you can't reach the call button. The CAT Scale web site says that you are not supposed to put a vehicle half-on-half-off the scales, as you would do to get individual, "four-corner" wheel weights. Your local CAT scale may allow it- to be polite, you could ask.

Without individual wheel weights you will be shooting in the semi-darkness if you want to adjust your tire pressures to correspond to the axle weights and the manufacturer's inflation tables. My advice would be to get the coach weighed and then bring the results back to this thread for further discussion.

Don't forget to record the tank content, cargo, and occupant weights that are present when you cross the scales.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lots of threads here on this, but you should find the tire pressure table for your exact tires from the manufacturer. The pressures will be set different for your front and back axles, but they should be the same for all the tires on the same axle.

Cat scales are good. Pull up and push the button, the operator will ask your truck number, just tell them you are in a motor home and ask for number 1 (it doesn't really matter unless they are really busy).

After you weigh go in and pay and get your weight ticket. Once you get your weights, adjust your tire pressures. Cat scales will usually not let you weigh individual corners, you can only weigh by the axle. Because you don't actually know the weight on each tire, divide the axle weight by 2 (if you have two wheels on the axle) and add 10% for the possibility that one side is heavier than the other (it likely is).

I am sure you will get plenty more advice here.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
All above are good info even though it appears all the CAT scales operate differently! I agree with using the pressures on the placard by the driver seat. My only other word of advice is to have a long stick available to push the call button at the scale. My class A 40 footer rides low and I can't reach the button so I use an old night stick to reach out the window with.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The CAT scale I go to, has space on both sides of the scale. The scale has 3 scales (front axle of semi cab, rear duals of semi cab, tractor duals), with the front pad typically between two upright posts, one has the call box which you have to stand on toes to push the button.

If you go in the middle of the day, all the truckers are driving and I've never had a line or even see another truck wanting to use the scales.

I always weigh with full fuel, full fresh water, empty black and grey, hopefully full propane, and loaded as I normally travel.

I drive up with one set of tires off to the right (not on the scale), and pull forward so that my left tires are using the rear two pads. (If you get to the front pad, you'd need to be totally on the scale because of the upright posts). I try to get as centered as I can, nice to have spotter tell you when to stop, but I've done it myself as well. Get out, reach up and hit call button, he'll ask you your truck number and whether it's a weighing, or reweighing. I just say 'weighing' and to use Dave, but could make up a number. He'll say okay, he's got the weight, pull forward. Drive around and do it again this time weighing the other side, and tell him it's a 'reweighing'. Go inside and pay, and he'll give you the two slips. Weighing is 10 bucks, reweighing is 2 bucks.

Really easy. Add your body weight to the front left since you're sitting over that tire.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
The CAT scale I go to, has space on both sides of the scale. The scale has 3 scales (front axle of semi cab, rear duals of semi cab, tractor duals), with the front pad typically between two upright posts, one has the call box which you have to stand on toes to push the button.

If you go in the middle of the day, all the truckers are driving and I've never had a line or even see another truck wanting to use the scales.

I always weigh with full fuel, full fresh water, empty black and grey, hopefully full propane, and loaded as I normally travel.

I drive up with one set of tires off to the right (not on the scale), and pull forward so that my left tires are using the rear two pads. (If you get to the front pad, you'd need to be totally on the scale because of the upright posts). I try to get as centered as I can, nice to have spotter tell you when to stop, but I've done it myself as well. Get out, reach up and hit call button, he'll ask you your truck number and whether it's a weighing, or reweighing. I just say 'weighing' and to use Dave, but could make up a number. He'll say okay, he's got the weight, pull forward. Drive around and do it again this time weighing the other side, and tell him it's a 'reweighing'. Go inside and pay, and he'll give you the two slips. Weighing is 10 bucks, reweighing is 2 bucks.

Really easy. Add your body weight to the front left since you're sitting over that tire.
Kiawah

I weigh my coach loaded for travel.... with both my wife and me in our seats.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Kiawah

I weigh my coach loaded for travel.... with both my wife and me in our seats.
I agree. My behind is in the chair when I get it weighed. Also, because my behind is in the drivers seat I don't need a stick or ladder or anything else to push the button. I pull up and open my window. Why would anyone not do it this way???

Old 04-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I agree. My behind is in the chair when I get it weighed. Also, because my behind is in the drivers seat I don't need a stick or ladder or anything else to push the button. I pull up and open my window. Why would anyone not do it this way???
If you are only doing an axle weigh, then you can pull forward and use the front pad and middle pad. Your coach is centered on the pads, and you get one weight for the front, and one weight for the rear axle. Hence, your window is next to the intercom like you mention.

The problem with this approach, is that you will undoubtedly have weight differences right to left. You really want to get what is called 4 corner weighing, where each tire is weighed individually. That is what I described in my initial post. First pass thru you are only weighing right or left half of your coach, and getting a front and rear axle weight. Second pass thru you weigh the other half, getting a front and rear axle weight. It is very typical, to find one tire on the axle 500 lbs or more difference to the other side (or up to 1K in the rear). If so, you want to move some weight around, and/or tweak your suspension heights if you have air suspension.

Unfortunately, you can't typically be 'side off scale' on the front CAT pad, because that is where the posts are that hold up the intercom system. Hence, you use the 2nd and 3rd pad for your weighing, and walk up to reach up and talk on the intercom.

Once you have each front tire weighing, you use the maximum weight of those two tires, and double it for the axle weight that should be looked up on the tire charts. Example, one tire is 5,000, and the other tire is 4,500. You should look up the axle weight of 10,000 and set the tire pressure with an additional 5 lbs psi. Both tires on the same axles should have the same psi, and should be set so that the tire with the heaviest weight has enough air to properly carry that sides weight.

If you just do a single axle weighing, you'd just think you are 9,500 and the tire that is carrying 5,000 is underinflated.

Do a 4 corner weighing, you may be surprised by what you learn.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:15 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I too have a 2015 fleetwood bounder 33c and when fully loaded for a 30 day trip with passengers, fuel, water, etc I am at 20500 and tires at 88. Great ride. Smooth and solid with front Trac bar and rear sway bar. Just returned from 3500 mile trip with hills and curves in the Ozarks and smokies. It felt like driving a car. (Just slower) (alot)
Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV WEIGH - Mobile Weigh Station

Saw this link on another post which is very relevant to 4 corner weighing.

Tags
tire pressure