Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire pressure

Silly question came up does it matter if I check my Tire pressure with leveling jacks down
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwrench View Post
Silly question came up does it matter if I check my Tire pressure with leveling jacks down
No.
akadeadeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've done it both ways and it didn't make any difference.

Just be sure to check the tires in the morning before they get warmed up.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #4

NOPE.....

More important is measuring tire pressure when COLD (before driving on or sun exposure heating tire up)

Flat tire.......shop removes to fix....then sets air pressure before even installing back on rig.
Same air pressure whether on ground or off ground
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If I might ask a related question. How low does the pressure have to get before you take the trouble to add air. Example: If you want to have 100 lbs and the gauge reads 95 lbs, do you add?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
If I might ask a related question. How low does the pressure have to get before you take the trouble to add air. Example: If you want to have 100 lbs and the gauge reads 95 lbs, do you add?
I do, others might call me silly - but I've been called that before.
And if one tire is low enough that it gets air, then ALL of the tires will get air even if they're only 1 lb down. I figure if I get the air compressor up and running might as well do them all. And the 2 air bags in front too.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Should keep pressures within 5 lbs on all corners.. Above that heat could be a problem. That is what most TPMS trigger lights at.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
Should keep pressures within 5 lbs on all corners.. Above that heat could be a problem. That is what most TPMS trigger lights at.
Not sure I understand the 5 lbs between all corners? Setting the tires per the manufactures recommendation per axle, based upon the four corner weights determination of an axle's highest weight, can easily yield 10psi differences.

Front axles on many coaches, can run 10 psi below rear axles.

Suggest letting the actual four corner weights, and tire manufacturers recommended PSI + a minimum of 5psi, or 10% contingency, be the determination for per axle PSI's. (If the front axles right side is the heaviest, and the tire manufactures psi chart recommends 90 psi, then set that axles tires to 99psi (Me, I like "0" or "5" ending PSI's, so I'd round that up to 100psi.)

Our coach runs with 100 PSI on the front, and 110 on the drive and tag, and that is per the tire manufactures psi recommendation from Smart Tire four corner weight.

Also, when checking/setting psi, adjust PSI for ambient temperature, up/down as needed.

$.02!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Your correct, I effectively misstyped. I agree fronts and rears are likely different. I simply meant they should not be more than 5 lbs off from their partner on the same axle.

And I would always shoot for 5 lbs over the min for the max weight you are rated to run. That way just incase you get a cold snap you still are safe.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #10

How accurate is your tire gauge?????

Do you get it calibrated????

I add/release air if 5 lbs (+) from what I normally run

G614's at:
105#------3675# load capacity
100#------3550# load capacity
That's a 125# difference in load capacity with just a 5# air pressure difference

I'm doing something at 5#.
And NO my air gauges are not calibrated ----but I have three and they all are within 1# of each other------close works for me
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #11

I have one master air gauge, that I have checked yearly. I have one primary gauge I use while setting pressure, and a backup. They two are checked yearly, and I have them marked + or - based upon how far off they are at 100PSI. During the course of the year, and travels, I will usually check my tire pressures quarterly (Monitoring them via TPMS during the 3 month period.). I will check one tire with my master air gauge, and then cross check the primary gauge to make sure it's still reading what I think it's reading.

After 7 years, I ended up replacing my primary gauge with my backup, and bought a new backup. I suspect I somehow damaged the primary while moving stuff around, but for whatever reason, it was off and off variably - so I could not trust it anymore.

And as mentioned by others, and myself too, by having a contingency amount of PSI above the tires manufactures weight charts, you have latitude to not really worry too much about minimal lost of PSI. I can't recall who said this, but I recall that we sometimes go a bit overboard on tires... Both on brand loyalty, and brand bashing, and on the 'art' of PSI setting... Keep them protected from UV, keep them properly balanced, keep the PSI within the recommended levels - then go have some fun... Oh yeah, we all sometimes have varying opinions on how old, is too old, too!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
How accurate is your tire gauge?????

Do you get it calibrated????
Yes, I have a calibrated gauge.
Never release air if the tire is not cold. Wait till it cools and check again. The tire design allows for the pressure build up when driven or sitting in the sun.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure