Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Tire pressure and monitors

So we have these Michelin 22.5 radial tires on our Sunova.

Can anyone help explain the correct tire pressure to have with these tires? Camping world checked the pressure in all of my tires and i was with him when he did it. All of them were at 90 pounds. He said they were fine. Is that true?

We also have been looking at buying a tire monitoring system as well.

Any opinions on those if you own one?

What brand do you have?

How it's been working for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_171005.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	139587   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_170936.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	139588  

Name:	20160910_170940.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	139589  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #2

Tire pressures are calculated by getting your coach weights on each axle and then looking up the required pressure from the tire manufacture charts. Use the same pressure for the tires on each axle. The fronts can be different from the back and so forth. Have you had your coach weighed? This is the only way to set the pressures correctly. I have not purchased a tire pressure monitor system but plan to very soon. There are many reviews on the forum for this if you do a search. A popular one on this forum is made by TST but there many other good ones to choose.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/refer...tion-tables/#/
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/TST-5...-p/92-0406.htm
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Tire pressures are calculated by getting your coach weights on each axle and then looking up the required pressure from the tire manufacture charts. Use the same pressure for the tires on each axle. The fronts can be different from the back and so forth. Have you had your coach weighed? This is the only way to set the pressures correctly. I have not purchased a tire pressure monitor system but plan to very soon. There are many reviews on the forum for this if you do a search. A popular one on this forum is made by TST but there many other good ones to choose.

Michelin RV Tires | View Michelin RV Tires load and inflation tables for motorhomes and recreational vehicles. | Michelin RV Tires
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/TST-5...-p/92-0406.htm
+ 1
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Until you can get a 4 corner weight take the coach to a truck stop with a scale and get axle weights for now. Once you have the axle weight divide it by 2 and that will be close. Then use the Michelin pressure chart and add 5lbs. to what it says for now.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #5

Re: Monitors

I have been using Pressure Pro nearly 9 years and am very pleased. I have 6 on the coach and 4 on the toad. I carry an "o" ring kit and a couple of extra sensors. Always reliable. Sure makes it easy to check your pressure and an alarm sounds if there is an issue. The monitor indicates where the issue is.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #6

Agree with the above, but until you can even get to a CAT scale, find the placard that shows your tire sizes for front and rear, and shows the recommended pressures which are based in the max. weight per axel. As long as you are not overweight, this is the safe place to start. The only drawback could be as slightly harsh ride, but you will be safe. My guess / hope is, that the 90#s that you are now set at, is based on that placard......

My tire placard is on the inside of my entry door frame. (It is very similar to what you have on your car, most likely on the driver's door frame).

You may also want to start a bit higher (2-5#s) now than the placard (as long as it is less than the sidewall stated max) if you are staying in an area where ambient temperature will dropping as fall comes on, as your cold pressures will drop as well.

I have a TST monitor for the catch and toad.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have been using a TST 507 monitor for the last couple months and it works great! So far on the coach only, will be adding to toad soon.
My rig uses the same 22.5 XRV's on a 36' Bounder. I am a believer in less rolling resistance. I get the 4 corner weights on my rigs to "know" how its distributed. However I keep my tire pressures at 10 lbs below max in FLA summer. Because in the first 30 mins of driving down here they all increase by 8 - 12 lbs. 110psi (cold) being max for my XRVs. In cooler weather I will narrow the margin. The monitor is a great tool for watching how your tire pressures can vary based on conditions. I notice no difference in harshness on the firmer tires. There is a lot of cush built into those XRV's.
There was a time when I adjusted my tire pressures lower in the front based on actual weights but felt the steering was mushier and had more wander/squirm. Once you are weighed you can make your own adjustments to find your happy place. Safe Travels!
mus289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #8

There should be a MFG plate somewhere around the coach (usually in the driver area) that will tell you the proper inflation for your coach. Just because the tire takes 90 psi does not mean that is it the recommended PSI for your application. Remember these are commercial truck tires. The same tires are under UPS trucks, Uhaul's, and in some cases the same tires are even used on dump trucks and buses. Your application will vary or as often said and really applies in this case "Your mileage may vary".
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #9

Thanks for all the information. Time to get this thing weighed so I can get the pressures right.

I've done some research and like this monitoring system and its features. Anyone using this system and have an opinion.

EEZTIRE T515/SP TIRE PRESSURE AND TEMPERATURE MONITORING SYSTEM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T515-SYSTEM---10FT-SENSOR.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	139791  
mvannote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
it is not clear with your pic if you have metal valve stems, if not you may want to change them before you put a mass on the end that will be swinging in the wind...
Old 09-23-2016, 10:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
it is not clear with your pic if you have metal valve stems, if not you may want to change them before you put a mass on the end that will be swinging in the wind...
The ones shown are flow through sensors. They also have non flow versions as well. Not sure which I'm going to use yet.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:32 AM   #12

We are using the same TPMS. We've had it for a year. We have 6 flow through on the coach and 4 anti theft on the toad. The flow throughs are convenient, you don't have to remove them to add air.
I like them when they work, but so far it seems to be unreliable. Periodically a sensor will stop reporting. We've talked to tech support and they were very helpful. It is susceptible to interference from other electronics, in particular a wireless thermometer that we have. So, moving stuff around on the dash has helped, but has not totally fixed the problem.
mbishop10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbishop10 View Post
We are using the same TPMS. We've had it for a year. We have 6 flow through on the coach and 4 anti theft on the toad. The flow throughs are convenient, you don't have to remove them to add air.
I like them when they work, but so far it seems to be unreliable. Periodically a sensor will stop reporting. We've talked to tech support and they were very helpful. It is susceptible to interference from other electronics, in particular a wireless thermometer that we have. So, moving stuff around on the dash has helped, but has not totally fixed the problem.
Do you have any experience with the non flowthrough's at all?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #14

Yes, the anti theft and non flow through are the same.
They drop out just like the others. They are easy to get on and off. They do e with a little tool to take them off or put on, although you really don't need it. The head of it spins freely from the rest of it, but if you torque it a little you can put it on and off without the tool. So, the anti theft feature is easily defeated.
The flow through are actually a little more difficult to get on and off. They are secured with a little set screw.
mbishop10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure