Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tire pressure, how high is to high ?

Just installed a Tire pressure monitor. Now I need to know at what high pressure should I become concerned ??
I just installed 2 new front tires. Set the pressure at 110lbs cold. Really cold like 20 degrees. Drove over to Sacramento from Reno and saw the tire pressure go up to 125. Is that normal. Outside temp was about 65.
How high is too high ??
Thanks,
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnlandrus View Post
Just installed a Tire pressure monitor. Now I need to know at what high pressure should I become concerned ??
I just installed 2 new front tires. Set the pressure at 110lbs cold. Really cold like 20 degrees. Drove over to Sacramento from Reno and saw the tire pressure go up to 125. Is that normal. Outside temp was about 65.
How high is too high ??
Thanks,
Greg

my tpms settings from the manufacturer is 25% fluctuation allowed. if yours is the same, 125 psi over 110 is well within the range.

as for the tire pressures, you might want to check your coach manuals or a sticker normally on the driver side wall under the front side window. my front is 120psi and rear is 110psi.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Your tires will have a max pressure stamped on the sidewall. The Rv manuals recommended pressure is always stated as cold to allow for heat expansion of the air inside the tire. The tires stated max pressure is a cold value also allowing for expansion.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here's the correct info taken direct from the manufacturers written and published brochures:

The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire.

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
Quote:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
From TOYO:
Quote:
Q: What are the consequences of inflating the tires to accommodate the actual loads?
A: If the inflation pressure corresponds to the actual tire load according to the tire manufacturer’s load and pressure table, the tire will be running at 100% of its rated load at that pressure. This practice may not provide sufficient safety margin. Any air pressure loss below the minimum required to carry the load can result in eventual tire failure.
But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:
Quote:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
The sticker inside is for the OEM tires at the maximum loaded weight the RV should ever have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #5

when I was running 315s the cold pressure was set to 120 and I would see 140 on the fronts. I did check with Michelin and they confirmed that's normal and to just always check when there cold. I don't think it matters actually how cold but that the tire has not been driven for several hours.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:14 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
when I was running 315s the cold pressure was set to 120 and I would see 140 on the fronts. I did check with Michelin and they confirmed that's normal and to just always check when there cold. I don't think it matters actually how cold but that the tire has not been driven for several hours.
How are the 365's working out?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 AM   #7

chart said 105 so I set the run pressure at 110.Running temp around 120. Softer ride and they feel a little tighter to the road likely from the width. Happy with the upgrade, I still has the 315 on aluminum rims and smartire sensors to find a new home for. Little use on the tires
Rod
Old 02-09-2016, 01:30 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I need to find someplace that can work on our dual steering box front axle. Has more play in it than I like. Contacted Brazels and they were supposed to send me an estimate today but they didn't get to it I guess.

PS, I'm running 115 in ours and need to reset the SmarTire since it was set lower for some reason.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #9

I don't remember where I read this but a TPMS high pressure alarm should be set to 15% over cold pressure set point. Cold pressure is measured at 70 degrees I believe.
My low pressure alarm is set 10% under set point.
Max temp alarm, 158 degrees.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #10

This is why I do not own a TPMS, sure it will let you know if you have a tire going down/flat, but thats it, rolling down the road you will get unrealistic readings depending on the tire temp., OAT, ALT, etc.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Owners Club
As a former tire guy and current A.S.E. certified auto and med. /hvy. truck technician I wholeheartedly endorse TPMS systems! I'm not a mathematician or fortune teller, but I know the majority of "blow-outs" are caused by underinflation or"run-flat". If you've ever gone out to your vehicle and found a flat tire, chances are it was a slow leak and could have been avoided by a tpms system alerting you when it began to lose pressure. Also if one tire begins getting hotter than the others, you can investigate and correct the issue BEFORE a tire failure.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #12

Here is what has worked for me. I did a six position weigh to know exactly what each position was carrying. The fronts called for 110 psi, so I set them at 115 psi 0n a morning when the OAT was 60*. I did the same with the rear tires. Over the course of a year and 9000 miles of travel from 1000' elevation up to 11,000' and from 35* mornings up to 75* mornings, the start pressure was never lower than 110 psi or higher than 120 psi on the front tires. On a 90+* day in the sun on hot asphalt the front pressures have risen to 142 psi. Perfectly normal according to Michelin. It was over a year before I had to add air to get back to the 115 psi on a 60* morning. I'm on the third year with this method and it's working great.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
My question is, what would be considered a dangerously high pressure that would require me to pull over and deal with it ? Lets use a steer tire with a cold pressure set to 110 lbs. as an example. At what pressure should I take action, assuming all other conditions are normal.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Crasher ! That's the kind of information I am looking for !!

Tags
tire pressure