Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire Pressure Loss

I checked my tire pressure before a trip and found one without pressure. Like an idiot I thought it was the inside tire extension.
I drove 300 miles to go camping and back. Nothing happened.
I then too my motor home to get the oil changed and told them to
check the drivers side inside tire extension. They told me the tire
was out of air and the tire was now ruined. My question is how long had
I been driving and didn't hear the tire or see any problem (had just got
back from Michigan). Why didn't the tire rip of and come apart.
Has anyone had this happen to them ?
Goneagain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneagain1 View Post
I checked my tire pressure before a trip and found one without pressure. Like an idiot I thought it was the inside tire extension.
I drove 300 miles to go camping and back. Nothing happened.
I then too my motor home to get the oil changed and told them to
check the drivers side inside tire extension. They told me the tire
was out of air and the tire was now ruined. My question is how long had
I been driving and didn't hear the tire or see any problem (had just got
back from Michigan). Why didn't the tire rip of and come apart.
Has anyone had this happen to them ?
Wait, you found a tire that had 0psi, and you went ahead and drove 300 miles to go camping? Really? Valve extensions are still under air pressure, otherwise how would it ever be possible to check the pressure? The other inside "extension" didn't read 0psi, so obviously there was a problem, right?

It probably didn't rip off and come apart because it was being supported by the outside tire and therefore making minimal contact with the road, although you're actually lucky that the outside tire that DID still have air didn't blow out, and even now, it is likely damaged. I certainly wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. You KNOW that you drove at least 300 miles on that single tire supporting what should've been supported by duals. No, I've never had this happen to me because I've NEVER knowingly driven 300 miles with a flat tire!
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Same reply I gave over in rv.net.

A TPMS would have alerted you to this problem and you could have taken care of it for minimal $$. Now you gotta buy two tires that I'm sure will cost much more than a quality TPMS would have.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Same reply I gave over in rv.net.

A TPMS would have alerted you to this problem and you could have taken care of it for minimal $$. Now you gotta buy two tires that I'm sure will cost much more than a quality TPMS would have.

Ron
The TPMS sensor would have been on the extension, right? So the OP would have done the same. Just a different device saying the tire was flat.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
WDW

We have a TST system and prior to starting a day of driving we take and record the readings. While driving i check the status of each tire. During the summer season we rarely see any "cold temp" changes. By keeping a log we can chart any changes. And of course an event with the significant loss of pressure / over pressure triggers an alarm.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #6

I am a big fan of the school of hard knocks. It certainly is the best education. Sometimes it can be an expensive degree to obtain though.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:58 AM   #7

I have something called a TIRE GAUGE. It has a dual foot for checking the inside and outside duals. As an old Truck Driver, I use this gauge before each trip with the RV. NEVER drive with one tire flat on a set of duals. If it had come apart the damage it would or could have done to your RV would have or could have been extensive.
Each time you stop, pit stop, fuel stop etc., walk around the RV and thump the duals, no it won't tell you the pressure in the tires, but it will tell you if the tire is flat.
Just my opinion, lessons learned.
Happy Trails
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
U R LUCKY;

The bad tire may have had enough air in it to hold it against the rim bead, but not enough where it made significant contact with the road or the other tire.

The good tire that was supporting the entire load may have been damaged and could be on the verge of failing. I agree with other posters. If this happened to me, I would replace both tires, the bad one and the good one. Sometimes when I replace tires, I keep the best looking one as my new spare. In this case, I wouldn't even consider keeping that tire as a spare...

Lesson learned - when something doesn't look right, find out why before proceeding.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The TPMS sensor would have been on the extension, right? So the OP would have done the same. Just a different device saying the tire was flat.

I agree that the OP's poor assumption was the main fault here, but after checking the tire pressure with a gauge and assuming that the extension was at fault, he would have also been alerted by the TPMS monitor that the tire was low on pressure...giving him a 2nd chance to rethink his assumption. I would think that he would have then had 2nd thoughts and made sure the tire was either good or bad.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

I learned long ago that anytime I was tempted to doubt the instruments, it was time to sit back and get a grip on reality. I once was running a boat in heavy fog and became convinced that the compass was off by 180 degrees. Another time I had another person assert with utter conviction that the oil level on the dipstick was incorrect. Now both of these are possible, but so unlikely that the sane thing to do is stop before you do any damage,
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure