Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
tvp

Tire Pressure Monitor System

True Story , .....a RV product that works ....go figure [emoji12]
Set out in the morning ,checked tire pressure on all 10 tires including Toad. Everything is ok hit the road ....4 hrs into the trip my RVI Tire Patrol system alarm went off and alerted me to a flat tire on the Toad. Slowed down and saw tire pressure dropping from 35 lbs to 26 lbs . Pulled off Hyw and checked tire . It had a nail in the tread and you could here the air leaking out. Topped up Air to 40 lbs and drove Direct to tire shop that repaired the tire for $18.00 and back on the road.
This could have been a disaster if it was not for the RVI system. The Toad is like 45 feet behind me and had no idea that tire was flat.
RVI saved my tire and rim . It's great when a product works as advertised, thank you RVI system .
Anyone who drives without a tire pressure monitor system is just wrong !!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #2

Yup!
Old 04-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I won’t take my MH anywhere without mine on.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Just like a braking system, don't leave home without it. Mine saved me from an underinflated front tire as we started out one morning. It was my fault the sensor wasn't on tight enough but it alerted me the tire was low.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
Anyone who drives without a tire pressure monitor system is just wrong !!!
Well I was wrong and learned a valuable lesson. On the first leg of our trip, first trip out of state and longer than a few days, we were heading to Eagle Nest, NM for a two week stay. Checked the tires with an infrared thermometer gun at each rest stop, all tire temps were normal. When we were preparing to the leave the RV park the next morning, there was a flat on the inside dual. It was a Sunday and a truck stop was the only thing open. They found a screw in the tire. When he inflated the tire, a bulge popped out on the sidewall of the tire. I must have picked up the screw after our last rest brake and drove for about 2 hours with the tire flat. Of course the truck stop didn't have a tire for my F450, so they put on the spare and we drove the rest of the way to Eagle Nest hoping we didn't experience another flat. Drove to Santa Fe a few days later and bought a new tire.

The tire cost more than the TPMS I bought before our next trip. TPMS works, I haven't experienced a flat since.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #6

Thought my sensor was bad...new tires. Wrong. Flat tire, inside dually. Bad valve stem in my driveway. Called out local rv/semi tire repair to fix $178. AAA could not help, but was willing to spend untold $$$ to tow for tire repair. Duh? Tire monitor YES.
Just BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #7

Good info.I wouldn't put my coach on the road with out a monitoring system.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #8

I like my EEZ TPMS very well. It's working great.
Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I have a question and thought it might be better to ask here rather than to start a whole new thread.
I am curious on what are your thoughts about the High Pressure settings for the TPMS.
EEZ manual advises to set high pressure alert at 20% over set pressure. My cold inflation is 91 PSI, so I set high pressure alert to 110 PSI.
First trip, alarm goes off at 110 for one tire. All other tires had similar, but lower readings. Stopped, checked tires. All seemed fine.
For next trip, adjusted alert to 114 PSI. Got another alarm (I think same tire—inside driver's side dually). Again, checked the tires. All seemed okay and other tires had similar but lower readings.
Not especially hot days, nor especially high speeds when these alarms went off.

I'm going to adjust the alert to a higher PSI again, but just wondering what are your experiences finding the correct high pressure alarm setting point. How high to go?
These are 19.5 tires.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #9

Had exactly the same thing happen with my EEZ system. Pressed button to override. But did keep an eye on things. My rears are set at 95, got the warning at 114 on one tire. Just watched pressure and temps...maybe adjust warnings a few pounds upward in the future.
Just BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #10

Wouldn't go anywhere with ours. Very important piece of equipment in my book. I also carry plenty of extra batteries for the sensors too. One goes out, I change it immediately.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #11

I just bought a tpms for the mh and car hauler hopefully got it programed correctly. we will see tomorrow
Old 04-24-2019, 05:36 AM   #12

I also have the EEZ TPMS which I originally had for our Winnebago Minnie TT. After buying the Bay Star, I added a couple of sensors and have it all set up now. But, now I need to add 4 more sensors for the Malibu and see if I'll need a repeater due to overall length. It's cheap insurance when you think of what can happen if a tire fails while on the road.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, tire pressure