Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinr View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a monitor for my RV and toad but there are so many choices. Here is a question I hope someone can answer for me. On my toad (Toyota Matrix XR ) there is already a factory TPMS , my question is can I add another sensor to it or do I have to remove the factory first?
Is the factory installed TPMS on your toad mounted inside the wheel or on the end of your valve stems? Most factory installed TPMS are inside the wheel allowing you to add another one to the end of the valve stems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvtravelers View Post
Wow I really love this site. I also was researching a tpms system today and came across this thread. I didn't even know they offered a flow through design, what a plus. Thanks to all for making my decision easy.
There is a trade off to having flow-through sensors. They are 3-4 times heavier than the cap type sensors. If you are planning to have that much weight running around on your wheel, I would HIGHLY recommend you change out any rubber stems to rigid stems.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #30

Thanks Dr4, I just checked my tires on my car and nothing looks special about the valve stems, just a solid metal stem , a little wider at the base with a normal screw cap. Does this sound like the sensor is inside?
calvinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #31

Dr4 , I just talked to my Toyota dealer,parts dept. and the guy there said the sensor was built into the stem. He was't sure if adding another one would work or if the two signals would interfere with each other. I guess I will see what the TST people say about it as that is the system I am leaning towards.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #32

I have no problems with interference on our Grand Cherokee. It has factory tps in the wheel then I added TST 507 non-flow through caps. I've got flow through on the coach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0579.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	33338
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #33

Thanks John, I just ordered the same as you have. $499 for 6 flow through plus 4 non
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #34

IMHO, these TPMS is more trouble than its worth. If the seals fail on these sensor you will lose air pressure. Yes, it will let you know air pressure is low, but now you have to to trouble shoot the tire and the sensor. The valve stem has a mechanical seal on it, and these tpms sensor opens that seal permanently relying on just a rubber seal on the sensor... the track record may be good on these sensor, I dont know. But I live in an area where they use salt to clear the roads... these little seals will not last long given the environment they are in. I would just prefer to check the tire's pressure and/or use an IR gun to check its temperature. This will also let me to go out and physically check the tire out... take the info from these sensors with a grain of salt and check your tires/pressure/temp every chance you get.

I however like the "in tire" sensor, thats a way these TMPS should be than these "screw on" types.... but its very expensive.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the TPMS sensors seize on my stems due to galvanic corrosion and had to get them cut off which cost me the price of having all 6 of my 22.5" tires dismounted and remounted.

Never again!!!!!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would never be without my TPMS now that I have it.

The information they provide is invaluable.

The peace of mind of having the system there to alert me is well worth the maintenance on it.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
X2 here!
X-3 here!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I had the TPMS sensors seize on my stems due to galvanic corrosion and had to get them cut off which cost me the price of having all 6 of my 22.5" tires dismounted and remounted.

Never again!!!!!
Thanks Don that is a great tip on the corrosion problem. By that I mean a small bit of anti seize or dialectic grease absolutely would have prevented the corrosion issue. Even though I have chrome brass extenders never hurts to add an ounce of prevention!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #39

I just ordered a 10 sensor TST TPMS...Even though I will still check tire pressures physically, I like the concept/idea of having that extra measure of safety when I am behind the wheel of my motor home. An ounce of prevention...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #40

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
I was just writing about Daryl & Cheri at Lawrence Electronics Sales on FMCA. They are my top choice.

(Best, the recommended repeater unit is still in the box: for the time being, the unit senses all tires, even those 65 feet away on the toad.)
Andy, that looks just like my monitor unit. It is identical except mine says Tireminder....

Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #41

Tiretracker

https://www.tiretraker.com/products.asp?cat=9

About $300-350 I've heard good things about TireTraker... will probably buy one next time around...
Recon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
IMHO, these TPMS is more trouble than its worth.
I would just prefer to check the tire's pressure and/or use an IR gun to check its temperature. This will also let me to go out and physically check the tire out...
How does one do that at 60 mph out on the Interstate where most failures occur?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote