Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tire pressure monitoring systems

I was wondering if anyone has used the tire safeguard system on a motorhome? I need to get a new system and this one looks good on the reviews.price is very comparable as well.thinking about the flow through sensors.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have had the Tire SafeGuard since last January. I absolutely love it compared to the three years of problems trying to use the Doran RV360 system.

However, I am not keen on flow-through sensors because they are large and gangly hanging on the end of your valve stem.

I chose the small CAP sensors and I couldn't be happier.

My philosophy is when you go to check or adjust the air in the tire you have to remove the valve stem cap anyhow, you might as well just remove the CAP sensor to accomplish the same task.

Besides I have read where one person who had the flow-through sensors while using the Tire SafeGuard TPMS had problems. Check some other TPMS threads on this forum.

I believe that the Tire SafeGuard and the TST TPMS are the best two on the market today.

There are many reasons why I chose the Tire SafeGuard OVER the TST. Three main reasons were the size of the monitor, how they pre-program the sensors and how they are permanently identified.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
However, I am not keen on flow-through sensors because they are large and gangly hanging on the end of your valve stem.
According to their web site the sensors weigh 12.5 grams each. I don't feel at all uneasy about attaching them to my valve stems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My philosophy is when you go to check or adjust the air in the tire you have to remove the valve stem cap anyhow, you might as well just remove the CAP sensor to accomplish the same task.
On the other hand you can use the flow-through sensors to adjust the pressure - they are at least as accurate, if not more accurate, than the typical gauge you might throw into your tool box. I find them very convenient for this reason! I use a dual foot chuck with a built-in gauge on my compressor, and although I know the gauge was accurate when I first bought it, I have no idea how travelling in my storage bay for the last 20 years has affected it, so having the reading from the sensor is a nice addition. And it's a lot easier to just unscrew a simple valve cap than to try and find the tiny allen screw that "locks" the sensor onto the stem.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been using the Tire SafeGuard system (10 senders) for 5 plus years. I bought it because it was the only system at the time that offered the flow thru sensors.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not have flow through sensors and don't miss them. It's not the weight of the sensors that can be a problem, but the size. On my Honda CR-V toad my non flow through Pressure Pro sensors stick out slightly beyond the wheel rim. I caught one once on a curb and not only had to replace the sensor, but the Honda OEM valve stem was $120! It has TPMS electronics built in. Flow through sensors would stick out even more.

I check my pressures on the display panel and if a tire needs topped off it takes no more time to remove a sensor than it does to remove a valve cap.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post

And it's a lot easier to just unscrew a simple valve cap than to try and find the tiny allen screw that "locks" the sensor onto the stem.
I don't use those sensor locks. It's just as easy to remove the CAP sensor as it is to remove the valve stem cap.

When my trip is done, I remove the sensors and replace with the standard caps. It saves battery life and eliminates the temptation by some unscrupulous devious people to steal them.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine are not locked on and I don't worry about theft. I can't remove the fronts without removing the wheel covers so flow thru's work best for me.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #8

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
According to their web site the sensors weigh 12.5 grams each. I don't feel at all uneasy about attaching them to my valve stems.

On the other hand you can use the flow-through sensors to adjust the pressure - they are at least as accurate, if not more accurate, than the typical gauge you might throw into your tool box. I find them very convenient for this reason! I use a dual foot chuck with a built-in gauge on my compressor, and although I know the gauge was accurate when I first bought it, I have no idea how travelling in my storage bay for the last 20 years has affected it, so having the reading from the sensor is a nice addition. And it's a lot easier to just unscrew a simple valve cap than to try and find the tiny allen screw that "locks" the sensor onto the stem.
I just installed my system with the flow-through sensors yesterday and noticed that adjusting the air pressure using the sensor was a slow process, like the air flow is considerably restricted, unlike filling the tire without the sensor. Did you have the same experience? I almost wanted to remove the sensor and adjust the pressure by over filling and reinstalling the sensor the adjust by bleeding off pressure.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948boat View Post
I just installed my system with the flow-through sensors yesterday and noticed that adjusting the air pressure using the sensor was a slow process, like the air flow is considerably restricted, unlike filling the tire without the sensor. Did you have the same experience? I almost wanted to remove the sensor and adjust the pressure by over filling and reinstalling the sensor the adjust by bleeding off pressure.
I noticed that it took a while to get one tire up from 80psi to 90psi but I just attributed it to my compressor - it's capable of 125psi but it only has a 2 gallon tank so there's not much volume. Maybe I'll pull one of the sensors off and see if it accepts air any quicker...

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote