Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #169

Winnebago Owners Club
Mike at TST has come through for me a couple of times now. I have had 2 sensors and a monitor fail. Once the troubleshooting was done on my end replacement parts were sent right out. Customer service is outstanding!

An observation I have recently made about the 507 pass-through sensors is that there is a rubber looking doughnut in the brass base. It seems to me that it could easily get jammed in further simply by action of mounting the sensor. This may be one of the reasons some of these are not passing air.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #170
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 10 set of TST 507's on the way. TST is a fine company to do business with. They stand behind their product and will help anyone having troubles with their system.

Question: I have the Freightliner steel wheels with the 4-1/3 x 3" oval openings. I have ordered a set of valve stabilizers. The question is: where do you find valves to meet the needs

I have search but most are only 5 or 6" long. The inside rear dual hole for the valve is about 12" straight in. I cannot find a 12"valve - must not have been searching correctly.

Also, does anyone know if the rear outside is a 135˚ bend and how long to be supported by the wheel stem stabilizers?

Does anyone use wheel stem stabilizers on the front?

I know I have some more questions on stabilizing the TST TPMS...just give me time.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #171

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have a 10 set of TST 507's on the way. TST is a fine company to do business with. They stand behind their product and will help anyone having troubles with their system.

Question: I have the Freightliner steel wheels with the 4-1/3 x 3" oval openings. I have ordered a set of valve stabilizers. The question is: where do you find valves to meet the needs

I have search but most are only 5 or 6" long. The inside rear dual hole for the valve is about 12" straight in. I cannot find a 12"valve - must not have been searching correctly.

Also, does anyone know if the rear outside is a 135˚ bend and how long to be supported by the wheel stem stabilizers?

Does anyone use wheel stem stabilizers on the front?

I know I have some more questions on stabilizing the TST TPMS...just give me time.
Hey Wayne, lets see if I understand your problem correctly but from another approach. Your valve stems may be pointed the wrong way on the duels and you are thinking the others may be too short. Correct?

A tire shop will rotate the stems for you and a valve stem extension should work. Your truck tire store should be the ones to consult. Stabilizers? Those rubber plugs around the longer valve stems? Common at the tire shop. I don't have any on the front or outside duels.

When you run the sensors on be careful not to over tighten them. When the air hiss stops give it just a little more tight and call it a day. And, don't forget that you need a 150# compressor.

Hope I have helped. Happy trails,

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 05-29-2015, 05:41 PM   #172
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the reply Rick. I think I have solved all my problems. The valve stem stabilizers came today. None of the tire shops in this area carry them. My inner duals have a straight run from the wheel to the opening. I re-measured today and I will need a 10" valve stem. I called Borg and Bill is selling me two 10" valve stems. I'm not going to mess with the other valve stems as they are less than 4" and sensors will work without stabilization.

When the duals are mounted the inside has a straight shot to the hole opening but the outer dual stem, in my case runs to the inside and the only hole if it were to turn around would be the chrome cover. I think I'm okay now. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #173

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is how I tackled the problem. System works good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel PP and PHnx.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	95602  
Woofer-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #174

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wayne, just a tip. Should your sensors NOT work with the valve extensions on the inside duals, many don't and I tried multiple extensions, Mike Benson from TST removed the extensions and attached the sensors to the OEM valve stems. In my case there is room to navigate thru the finger hole to remove the sensor cap and air the flo thru. This solved my issue with the inner duals.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:11 AM   #175

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my outside duals I use a severely bent extension - I think it is a 127 degree -and then use another straight shot extender. All are a stainless steel and I made sure there were no leaks with a small amount of a liquid soap and water solution.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:13 AM   #176
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
There is just enough space between my dual tires to reach between them and screw on the TST sensor. Much easier than trying to work through the wheel hole. I took off the security caps because it is impossible to install them otherwise.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #177

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Wayne, just a tip. Should your sensors NOT work with the valve extensions on the inside duals, many don't and I tried multiple extensions, Mike Benson from TST removed the extensions and attached the sensors to the OEM valve stems. In my case there is room to navigate thru the finger hole to remove the sensor cap and air the flo thru. This solved my issue with the inner duals.
How do you get air to the inside tire? Did you attach the extension to the sensor?

Rick Y
Old 05-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #178
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Thanks Clay. I'm not going to be using extensions. The valve stem coming from the rear dual will be 10" solid metal and will fit directly into the stabilizer. I'm leave the short valve stems on the outer dual and the front tires. The valve stems are from DuallyValves (Borg).

Three or 4 years ago I had the flexible metal extensions put on as shown in Woofer-01's picture. I had a flat caused by the leaking extension. not at the valve as on would expect, but where the metal crimp to the braid was located at the valve input end. That eventually caused me two tire replacements. I know that many, many, many people have used those extensions without incident but I just don't trust them. It is a solid valve stem or nada.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:01 AM   #179

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
How do you get air to the inside tire? Did you attach the extension to the sensor?

Rick Y
No, the Spartan valve stem with the 507 Flo thru lines up perfectly with the finger rim hole. I simply unscrew the valve cap from the sensor and use the Milton air chuck with air pressure gauge. The Chuck is more than ample in length to make easy contact with the sensor attached to the inner dual valve stem. Like Wayne, I have had leaks with all types of valve extensions and do not use or personally recommend them. JMO.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #180

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
No, the Spartan valve stem with the 507 Flo thru lines up perfectly with the finger rim hole. I simply unscrew the valve cap from the sensor and use the Milton air chuck with air pressure gauge. The Chuck is more than ample in length to make easy contact with the sensor attached to the inner dual valve stem. Like Wayne, I have had leaks with all types of valve extensions and do not use or personally recommend them. JMO.
When I had my tires serviced I had a bad experience. I'll leave it at that. Next time I have the duel removed for inspection I will do it at a TRUE tire shop and have the factory original stems replaced with the longer ones. Winnebago/Freightliner fell short (no pun intended) on this solution.

I just bought a new air chuck, one with the air valve on the handle and a gauge. The gauge is so far off I don't even use it so the Slime digital is my measuring tool. The chuck works well but the flexible rubber hose is hard to hang on to for me. Might just be my hands.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #181

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Phoenix Flexible Extensions

The hose angle at bracket was a bit to severe for my liking so I bent the bracket tab to make the hose run straighter. This may have been why your crimp connector failed. I have almost 1,000 miles on these with no problems.
Woofer-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #182

thinking out of the Box

Anyone used the valve stem caps that show Red when the air pressure drops ? I know it sounds a little mick Mouse for a Motor Home, but you can just tell at a glance when you are at a gas station . Would it be worth having as a back up to the monitoring system ? Just curious, and thinking out of the box...

Tags
tire pressure