Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #183

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
Anyone used the valve stem caps that show Red when the air pressure drops ? I know it sounds a little mick Mouse for a Motor Home, but you can just tell at a glance when you are at a gas station . Would it be worth having as a back up to the monitoring system ? Just curious, and thinking out of the box...
Forgot to turn the TST off last night. Woke me up at 3 am beeping. Pressure dropped below low pressure warning as the South Dakota air temperature fell. I can see no benefit in having a cap turn red. And it is probably as precise a measuring instrument as my doctors index finger (held in the air of course).

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #184

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Forgot to turn the TST off last night. Woke me up at 3 am beeping.
That's the one feature I like about my Doran 360 RV: it has two power leads, one ignition switched, one constant power. The constant power keeps the system running 24/7 so it is always receiving updates from the tires. But the display (and the alarms) are off until the ignition switched line gets power. that way, if you get a tire problem overnight, you don't get woken up by it, but you get the alert as soon as you turn the key.

If you turn off the TST system at night, does it give you the alerts as soon as you turn it on? Or does it forget the status and you have to wait until all of the tires have sent a report before you can get the full picture?

What I don't like about the Doran 360 RV is the expense of replacing sensors when the batteries die...

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #185

Monaco Owners Club
Tst tpms

Hello, Yes if you power the TST off at night, and turn it on in the am, it will recognize a low tire and alarm. Plus the sensors feature user replaceable batteries CR1632, we also offer a Flow Through Sensor with a user replaceable battery, in addition you receive a 3 year warranty and free shipping. We have customer support available 7 days a week until midnight. When you batteries fail on the Doran if you are interested call me @ TST and I will offer you a discount to switch to TST. My name is Mike Benson 770-889-9102
Old 06-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #186

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson1234 View Post
Hello, Yes if you power the TST off at night, and turn it on in the am, it will recognize a low tire and alarm.
Good to know. Is there a way to hard-wire it like the Doran where it turns on and off automatically with the ignition? (I glanced at the user manual a little while ago, but don't recall seeing anything like that.) Sure, it's more work, but I'm squarely in the camp where I don't mind spending a little extra effort on the one-time installation if it makes the routine usage easier.

Thanks for the offer, I may very well take you up on it.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #187

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Good to know. Is there a way to hard-wire it like the Doran where it turns on and off automatically with the ignition? (I glanced at the user manual a little while ago, but don't recall seeing anything like that.) Sure, it's more work, but I'm squarely in the camp where I don't mind spending a little extra effort on the one-time installation if it makes the routine usage easier.

I believe it does come with a hard wire kit. I didn't use it though and don't know how it operates on hard wire. What I do know is the display battery charges very quickly and lasts an unbelievable length of time. My little ritual is to take the TST display to the picnic table - along with the Garmin and a cup of coffee on departure day. I turn the TST and GPS on and set up my route. By the time I'm finished the TST has cycled through and I'm ready to stow and go. Pop the TST on the window with the suction cup and call it done. And when and if I sell the coach - it goes with me without having to unwire or unmount it. Works for me.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #188
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
Anyone used the valve stem caps that show Red when the air pressure drops ? I know it sounds a little mick Mouse for a Motor Home, but you can just tell at a glance when you are at a gas station . Would it be worth having as a back up to the monitoring system ? Just curious, and thinking out of the box...
I tested one of the "Red Cap" systems on a passenger car (it was a system designed for 30 psi)
Had numerous problems with then having internal leaks or the warning coller not moving up to indicate low pressure.

The only good thing I can say was they didn't cost me too much when I dumped them in the trash.

I really do not understand why people think the only time a tire will loose air is when they are parked and get out to check with a gauge (of questionable accuracy).

I have picked up screws bent metal and even a 6" piece of barb wire in the campground exit road. Any of these might result in a Blowout 30 min to a couple of hours down the road so expecting a walk around at the rest stop to allow you to prevent a failure or damaged tire is wishful thinking.

If you don't think you need to "monitor" your tire pressure maybe you could explain why you feel the need to "monitor" the engine temperature, oil pressure or charging system while driving down the road.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #189

Monaco Owners Club
Tst tpms

Great Post Tireman!
Old 06-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #190

Monaco Owners Club
Tst tpms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post

Excellent! Please feel free to call me with any questions @770-889-9102 We are here 7 days a week until midnight.

Yes you can hard wire the monitor to the ignition so it powers up when you hit the key on the ignition.

Safe Travels!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #191
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mike, thanks for all the phone help. I felt like a computer nerd failure on some of the questions.

To all: TST was there when ever I called. Great service.

The MH is still in the shop getting repaired from golf ball size hail. However, I put sensors on the TOAD and they are working well. There is a key combo on the monitor to disengage the TOAD sensors if you are not pulling the TOAD, but not the other way around. Next purchase will be another monitor to just use when sight seeing in the TOAD. Configuring sensors for just the TOAD will keep the RV from showing on the monitor.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #192

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I really do not understand why people think the only time a tire will loose air is when they are parked and get out to check with a gauge (of questionable accuracy).
Because you spend a lot more time parked than driving?

Quote:
I have picked up screws bent metal and even a 6" piece of barb wire in the campground exit road. Any of these might result in a Blowout 30 min to a couple of hours down the road so expecting a walk around at the rest stop to allow you to prevent a failure or damaged tire is wishful thinking.
A very valid point. Mine has gone off a couple times while driving, and I'm sure I would've had much bigger problems had I not known about it.

It is puzzling, I see the same logic in the discussions about power surge protectors/EMS systems. Many people say they don't need to spend the money on them because they check the campground pedestal before setting up, and others say they have a plug-in voltage meter. Well, power problems happen all the time, not just when plugging in. And you won't be looking at that manual meter all the time. I've been thankful to have a fully automatic system that cuts off dangerous power while I'm not at the coach, or after I've gone to bed (one place we were at had power that went above 140 volts in the middle of the night, who's looking at a meter then?)

Based on my personal experiences, there is no replacement for an automatic power EMS, or for a TPMS.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #193

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree, for a relatively small investment trouble can be averted and much more. In a previous life I had a new to me Bounder with tire sensors, I thought it was just another gizmo. One day one started beeping and I had the good sense to stop. I really didn't understand what the sensor was telling me but on inspection I saw some severe sidewall cracking and could feel the heat. The service came out changed the tire and strongly suggested I replace the rest asap. He reckoned it could have blown at anytime. Prevention better than cure anytime.

Barry and Pat,
Old 06-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #194

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I tested one of the "Red Cap" systems on a passenger car (it was a system designed for 30 psi)
Had numerous problems with then having internal leaks or the warning coller not moving up to indicate low pressure.

The only good thing I can say was they didn't cost me too much when I dumped them in the trash.

If you don't think you need to "monitor" your tire pressure maybe you could explain why you feel the need to "monitor" the engine temperature, oil pressure or charging system while driving down the road.
As I mentioned as a back up to the monitor system...I guess you did not fully read my post....I do monitor my gauges all the time while driving. And I always do a walk around before getting in my coach.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #195

Tire pressure monitoring systems

Some folks check their tires before they hit the road.
Some IR or thump them at a stop.
Some know if a tire is hot or deflating while driving, or low before starting the motor, or...
I monitor all of my gauges. One of them is a TST.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #196
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Every time I start to roll the MH I would check all my tires. There are many thoughts on how frequently to check them. I just had peace of mind before we left an RV park that my tires, at that time, had the proper air pressure in them. I am well aware that traveling down the road, things can change. Yes, I have had a rear inner dual blow-out. Without a TPMS there is no warning at all. I have driven this way for many years.

It is time. I recently purchase a TST TPMS system. For one thing it will save me a few minutes or so of not having to get the gauge out and check the tires, but more importantly my peace of mind is going to go up "many fold," just having the TPMS.

Just remember that TPMS's are not going to tell you that the tires are cracking. That is best accomplished by periodic inspections by professionals. Recently during my annual check up my service technician told me that two tire were bad and that the others were not far behind. He recommended not to take any long trips. I'm putting 6 brand new shoes on the RV. Better safe than.......it can happen.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure