Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #15

I found an after-market switched fuse block with some spare ports under the dash panel and wired it there. I less than 1" of wire showing. I Velcro'd the monitor to the dash, below the display, on the left.

One nice thing is with the internal battery, you can take it with you from tire to tire when you adjust pressures.

Trade your Pressure Pro in for a 507.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
I been following this thread and am sold on the TST system. Any suggestions on where to buy one?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #17

TST

If you have an old one, Call Abby and see it they still have a trade-in discount.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I Have both

I bought a Hawkshead system for our fifth wheel and TV and then sold the fifth wheel and bought a Bounder with a SmarTire system included. I kept the Hawkshead thinking I might sell it seperatly.

The The SmartTire system has sensors mounted inside the tire, the batteries cannot be replaced, and one of the sensors is failing 50% of the time. I think they are out of business.

The Hawkshead system is the same as the one Camping World sells with their name on it. It has external sensors with replaceable batteries. Inexpensive batteries too! It was kind of a pain to set up but works well once set up. It will eventually replace the SmarTire. The range of the Hawkshead transmitters is excellent. No external antenna and no booster transmitter was required to get the sensor signals from the fiver (32 1/2 feet) to the inside of the tow vehicle. Never had a problem. It was easy to operate as well and has it's own internal battery so you can walk around with it in your hand. That comes in handy when you're setting it up. The only downside is that you have to remove the sensor to air up the tire.

Muddypaws
Old 01-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
The The SmartTire system has sensors mounted inside the tire, the batteries cannot be replaced, and one of the sensors is failing 50% of the time. I think they are out of business.
The last I knew SmartTire was still in business, but no longer doing RV systems, just OTR's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The Hawkshead system is the same as the one Camping World sells with their name on it.
Hawkshead and Camping World "TireMinder " is the same basic system as TireTracker.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I had a 10 sensor TST and ended up returning it after multiple sensors and 2 flats due to leaking sensors ...best feature was their customer service. I now have a TireTracker system. The sensors are smaller and lighter then most others, and have replaceable batteries. It has performed flawlessly for the past year.
With a name like AFChap, I knew you had to be trustworthy... Based on this recommendation, I just bought the 10-sensor TireTraker (they spell it that way, oddly) system

DW has been lobbying me for a TPMS system since she had a catastrophic dolly tire failure in heavy traffic, solo. She noted that there was no way to tell that the tire had exploded and curled the fender under, that she'd have not known if not for helpful motorists who flagged her down.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just replaced my TireTraker sensor batteries after 18 months of almost fulltime use ...was beginning to have frequent "no signal" indications. Got new batteries at Walmart, and they cured the problem.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Tire Traker Post-Purchase Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
With a name like AFChap, I knew you had to be trustworthy... Based on this recommendation, I just bought the 10-sensor TireTraker (they spell it that way, oddly) system[/COLOR][/SIZE]
So far, so good. We just did our first trip with the system, it worked as advertised.

No, we didn't suffer a loss of pressure, or rise in temps. But, when one of the battery clips' soldered joint cracked and centrifugal force pulled the sensor battery from its contact, the system immediately alarmed, reported a loss of signal.

I hadn't yet wired the signal-boosting unit, yet we got consistent inputs all the way back to the toad's rear tires.

Best, when I emailed the vendor, Lawrence RV Accessories and gave them the option of resoldering the connection in my shop, or returning the sender, they immediately responded that a brand-new one was in the mail with a SASE for return of the defective sender.

Thanks, AFChap. 'Looks like you sent me in the right direction

(For a good read that underscores the latest govt tire safety regulation and sidewall markings for the trucking industry, talks about the relationship of pressure and temperature, and reviews several TPMS brands, open the attached pdf file.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NHTSA TPMS Testing.pdf (384.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting article on the testing...

I found occasional missing signals from our toad (we have rear closet which Infigured helps block the signal) so installed the booster in the bedroom by tapping into a 12v power socket by the bed. It has a subtle green light that blinks softly once or twice a minute ...great to verify power but you do have to very patiently watch for it as it is not frequent.