Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #1

Tire pressure systems-Too much info?

Initially I thought I wanted to put a TST type tire monitoring system on our coach. After reading endless posts regarding installation, usage and information received from systems I'm wondering how many of you that have put a system on your coach would do so again? Has anybody had a blow out with the systems in place? Do you get an occasional flat because of a leaky sensor? Are you spending alot of time pulled over checking tires due to false alarms?
I like the idea of knowing if I have a bad tire on the toad or a steer tire going bad. Sooo......is it money well spent......or too much info?

Thanks for sharing some of your hard earned wisdom with me.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tumbleweed,
I have had the Pressure Pro system for four years. I had a few start up problems, but once corrected the system works as advertised. I do not get false alarms. I have been alerted two times to a low tire on the toad. The alerts were valid. We were able to get repairs made before damage to the tire or toad. With my coach, I could tow the toad down to the steel wheels and not notice. PP has paid for itself. My unit measures PSI (no temp measurement). I find this sufficient. The value of being able to check tire PSI each morning from the driver's seat is priceless.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I bought the TST TPMS last March. I had some bad sensors that gave me gradually decreasing pressure readings, but as the temp readings stayed steady I figured out what was going on without making a special stop to check them. The company promptly replaced the bad sensors with no questions or problems. After the first trip, I had a flat on the toad the next morning (rubber stems flex more than metal) and found most of the sensors were a little loose. I reinstalled most of them with teflon tape, they settled in, and I have never had a loose sensor again. Before I had the TPMS, I always checked all the MH tire pressures before driving. The only tire problem I had before buying the system was a leaky valve stem on a rear tire, and a flat on the toad -- I noticed the tire rapidly going flat after pulling into an RV park. If we were still on the highway I probably would not have noticed until it was too late, but then again, I may not have had the flat at all if we had not left the highway. so who knows??

I have no regrets from buying the TPMS system, but also had no great fears of driving w/o out (as I had for many years of fulltiming). My primary reason for buying the system is to help in monitoring the toad tires while towing.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the Tire Safeguard and have been happy with it. I only have it since Dec and have only driven a few thousand miles since then but so far the system has performed well with no false alarms. It does show temp also but I didn't really buy it for that feature. I bought this system because if I do need to put air in the tires I can do so without removing the sensors which lock on with set screws. I have not had to add air yet but I rarely did before I added the system.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Have had the TST system since November and a couple thousand miles. Had a couple of alarms when I first installed it as I didn't expect pressures to increase so much. Had a real alarm once when an inside dual extension came loose. Sure makes it nice and easy to verify all tire pressures before getting under way. Would definitely buy again.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Had Pressure Pro for about two years now with no problems other than a "new user" learning problem when I first installed them. Always helps when you read the instructions. No false alarms or low pressure reading on coach or tow. IMHO definately worth the bucks!
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have the Hawkshead TPMS and would not leave home without it!!!
Installation on 10 tires, the monitor and the signal relay box took 1-1/2 hours with the "learning curve". Installing the batteries was included in that time frame.
Granted it may not help in a sudden and catastrophic failure but I cannot help but believe that a tire will normally give some type warning of impending danger (high temp - leaking air pressure).

And as some have said, it's great on those mornings when unscrewing 10 valve stem covers and fiddling with a tire guage just isn't in the cards.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pressure Pro

We have pressure pro, and like previously said, would not leave home without it. Initially had some problems. If they are tightened down too tight, they will leak. I think in 10 sensors, I had to have two replaced.

The main thing I don't like, if the audible alarm is very very quiet and if the engine cooling fans are running or if we are pulling hard, I would never hear the alarm. As it sets in the center of the cockpit (so navigator can read it also), I just hope the red LED will catch my eye. It will be out of warranty in a few weeks, then I"m going to open it up, and add a much louder pizo-electric alarm.

Also in the winter time (generally below 35 degrees F) it gives a false failure, until the tires have been run 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I kept putting air in my tires in the winter time, then had to drain it back out. I have the nominal set at 105 psi, and in the winter if the tire actually drops to 100 psi I get an alarm - but it has only been one tire, so possibly the sensor is bad.

We have never got a false alarm while we are driving. Toad alarmed once, but it was actually a slow leak. I'm really glad have them on the toad!
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #9

Seldom in life do products or a technology come along that really make a difference. In my opinion this (TPM) system is one of those things. I have always been hyper aware of the tires on all my rigs. Tire failure is by fare the most common road side situation you face when traveling long distances. Not just the tire going flat but the damage I have seen from a tire coming apart because the person did not notice the problem in time to slow down and stop. This is especially true with vehicles with duel wheels and when towing a trailer or toad. The peace of mind that comes with the ability to look over at that display and see all is well…priceless.

NOTE: I am still hyper aware of my tires and inspect them every time I fuel up. You never know when that crack or bulge may appear.

I have had my TST for about two months and I will never be without a TPM again. I tow a boat with my MH and it is the boat trailer I am most concerned with. The sensors work great even after being submerged under water many times launching the boat. We travel in very hot weather and the tire temp feature is surprisingly important. Not that we can do much about the temperature it is nice to be able to see a spike that may indicate a problem before it blows. If I load the boat incorrectly I have notice a difference in the temp.
tooldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I have been running the TST system the longest of most folks since I got mine before it was called TST in Jan 2008. Have had the alarm go off on low tires on the MH a few times, once due to cold weather PSI change and once due to leaking through the sensor. Didn't have that one on tight enough. My biggest concern driving down the road is a flat on the Toad or on my MH front tires. This was my primary reason for getting one. I chose the system that also measures Temp because I have had two blow outs on a car when I was driving in the Desert. I may be wrong, but I think heat (high temp) just might be the prime cause of blow outs and if my thinking is correct, perhaps I will be forewarned on a pending blow out. I have mine set at 175. Like a lot of the previous posts, I love the fact that I can check all 10 tires without having to leave the drivers seat. Last year my alarm went off showing the front right Toad tire was low. I aired it up, checked for nail, screw and found nothing. Drove to store and back, parked it and no low PSI for a few days, drove it, came back and a few mins later it went off. Aired it up and took it to Tire store, They had it in a tub and could not find a leak, they pulled the tire off and put it on a spread machine and finally found where there was a split on the inner casing. Evidently, the split had to be in a certain position to release air. Would I have found this without a TPMS, probabily, but when? At 65mph on the freeway or towing it behind the MH? Is the investment worth it? You bet. If you have ever had a flat on a Toad behind a DP, then you know it doesn't feel any different then no flat until someone pulls up beside you and frantically points to the smoking Toad.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have the TST system and I love it. Had it for almost 6 months and no false alarms. My monitor did die but TST replaced it before they got the old one back. Just a phone call and the part was in the mail. Great company to do business with. I would never go without a TPMS. Too much at stake.

Dan
Old 08-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #12

Installed Doran System in spring '09. Have only used 4000 miles/6-months. Easy to install, used their help desk. Had trouble with false alarms on toad until got signal boaster which solved that. Best thing ,and makes it worth the price, about it is I don't have to crawl in the dirt/gravel to check tires. Probably are some great safety advantages.also. Yes would do it again.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Tst

I just sat in on three different TPM presentations at the Northeast Area Rally. After thinking Doran was the way to go I chose TST and not sorry a bit.
Doran claims the reason they do not constantly display a tire pressure reading is that they do not want you taking you eyes off the road. So, in order to see a display you have to take your hands, (and eyes) off the wheel to press the display panel button for each position.
With TST the display is constantly moving from tire to tire in about a ten second cycle. No need to remove your hands off the wheel. OBTW, it displays the temperature of each postion as well.
It is amazing the change in temperature and pressure from stand still to highway speed as well as in the shade and in the sun.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #14

I have had the Pressure Pro system for 3 years now. No problems with false signals at all. As someone else said above, you do have to manually cycle the system if you want to see pressures. That does not bother me at all. Is very nice to be able to check the tire pressures each morning from the driver's seat b4 you are leaving. Also nice to be able to check each time you do a rest stop or stop to eat. Not having a temp does not matter that much to me. I do have an infrared gun that I shoot the temps from time to time with.