Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #1

Tire pressures

Hi, I own a 2012 Thor Hurricane. In doing reserch in regards to tire pressures it's very clear that the coach needs to be weighed to determine proper pressue. There is no place close in Antelope Valley to perform this test. I was told by a experianced RV'r not to worry about it. He said to put 85 PSI in each tire and it will be fine. Can it be that simple???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

No, it's not really that simple at all. It sounds like you know the proper method but just need to get to a place where you can get your rig weighed. Until then, I would suggest inflating to the PSI noted on the plaque which should be near your drivers seat somewhere. If you don't have that, maybe use the max PSI listed on your tire sidewalls until you can get weighed.

It may be that using these max PSI settings will result in a bit of a rough ride and/or handling issues which might make the rig seem a little "loose".

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #3

Ideally, you should weigh each wheel individually, however, you can get by with just weighing individual axles. Places to weigh are available at truck stops, highway weigh stations, moving companies, gravel pits, landfills, feed and fertilizer stores, and your friendly California Highway Patrol truck enforcement unit. Before I got each wheel weighed individually, I weighed axles, figured the actual pressure needed and added 5 PSI to account for side to side variations. I was right on the money when I finally got it done by the wheel. Each axle needs to carry the same pressure on each side anyway.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raayrob View Post
Hi, I own a 2012 Thor Hurricane. In doing reserch in regards to tire pressures it's very clear that the coach needs to be weighed to determine proper pressue. There is no place close in Antelope Valley to perform this test. I was told by a experianced RV'r not to worry about it. He said to put 85 PSI in each tire and it will be fine. Can it be that simple???

85psi is the recomended "comfort zone"

I find 85psi works fine when the coach is empty...

100psi is very hard...

I know when I am "loaded" and when I am not...

I simply adjust anywhere from 85psi to 95psi depending on how much stuff I load...

It is that "simple" for me.,...
Old 04-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"There is no place near ___" oh yes there is, and you are looking at it.

RV Safety & Education Foundation

Then follow the links, (They moved them since I followed them, I thin they are now in a banner near the top, right of center) to have your rig weighed.

They send the scales to you. No muss, No fuss, reasonable fee.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your RV should have a tag which shows the tire sice and the pressure to run provided you are within the load ratings for the RV. But the problem you run into, is some manufacturers have the coach at load limits on one axle or tire before you load any supplies.

depending on the tire, 85 PSIG may have you over or under for your load. You run across a few that run their tires at max pressure as stamped on the side wall. This may be over kill and cause a rough ride and premature tire wear.

Ken

Ken