Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire pressures

I'm trying to get my tires to the correct pressure so I'm hoping you guys can help me quick.

I have the weights of my RV from this evening, also attached I have the tire pressure chart. Do I just take my front axle weight and divide by 2, and my rear axle and divide by 4?

I have 225/70r19.5

Thanks guys and gals?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402622419.952510.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	600.8 KB
ID:	65234Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402622433.368095.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	758.1 KB
ID:	65235

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes that is the basics. Divide the front by two and the back by 4. (this is assuming the coach is loaded evenly side to side, can come close but no guarantee.)

Better is to get the corners weighed so you have a weight for each wheel (front) or set of wheels (rear/2). Then inflate all of the tires on that axle to the same pressure as the tire with the highest weight.

Unfortunately I was unable to get the chart to enlarge so was unable to read the numbers.

Some fellows add 5 - 10 lbs to the recommended pressure. Others take the weight and add 5 - 20% and then go to the chart. It is a personal thing and to each his own. I simply use the recommended pressure as the minimum.

You are likely going to age the tires out before wearing them out. A good rule of thumb is to check tire pressure each day prior to starting out. 90% of tire blow outs are due to low pressure or overloaded tires.

A good TPMS system may be of value to catch falling tire pressure as you travel. There have been a couple posts that the TPMS system did not work as it should have so if you get one I would do some research for dependable ones. Nothing beats a tire gauge for dependibility, especially if it is regularly used.

Having tire pressure too high is not good as well. It can cause rough ride, bad handling, premature tire wear, and reduced traction in wet or icy conditions.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Typically you get all four corners weighed individually and use the heaviest end of each axle as the weight to find inflation pressure. Then use that number on both (or all 4) of the tires on that axle. You don't divide dual axle weight by 4, just 2 as in the steer axle BUT use the inflation # for DUALS.

If you think your weights might be off from left and right sides, it's O.K. to add 5 lbs. psi to inflation number. Just remember, all tires on the axle should be the same pressure.

Don't go by the label next to driver's seat, that number is usually the inflation for maximum load of the ORIGINAL tires.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My weight was empty, so I was going to go up a couple squares for my psi anyways. I checked earlier this week and had 93 in both my fronts and 74 in the two rears I could read (bought a new gauge so I can read the inner duals) didn't think that was right and we're taking the coach out this weekend.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The duals don't make much sense, you take the rear weight of 9580/2=4790. I don't even have a number that high on my chart?

Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocja01 View Post
The duals don't make much sense, you take the rear weight of 9580/2=4790. I don't even have a number that high on my chart?

Thoughts?
Divide by four.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, makes way more sense. Tire pressures are pretty good then. I'll probably just add 5lbs all around for the loaded weight.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #8

Keep in mind tire load/inflation charts reflect the minimum acceptable pressure for the load, not necessarily the optimum. The Rubber Manufacturers Association states over 90% of all tire failures are the result of under-inflation or overloading.
Everyone might find this Goodyear Tire Inflation Loading pdf quite interesting.
Here is an excerpt:
"Tire pressure should never be reduced below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended levels to support load conditions in order to improve the ride quality of a vehicle. The difference in ride quality is not significant. When minimum inflation pressure requirements are not met, tire durability and optimum operation can be affected."

So; Goodyear defers tire pressure recommendations to the vehicle manufacturer.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure