Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tire pressures? Recommended seems very low.

i weighed the other day and got this following results.

11320 Steer Axle
20080 Drive Axle
3460 Trailer Axle

I have Michelin 295/80's

Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables

I want to make sure I'm clear about this.

If I take the steer axle and / by 2, that's 5660 per front tire. According to the michelin chart, my front tire pressure should be 80, but this seems very very low to me..

Am I thinking clearly. Last time I checked them, they were at about 105.

In the back, that's 10040 per side on a dual, website says again about 80 PSI per tire, again just sounds very low to me... but I'm new to this, so I pose to you...
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I would add 5 lbs for good measure . You're reading them correctly. A lot of people overinflate because of what the sidewalls say.

When you say trailer axle , do you mean a trailer and not a tag axle ? I see you have a 40' so I don't think you have a tag , but just want to be sure.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I would add 5 lbs for good measure . You're reading them correctly. A lot of people overinflate because of what the sidewalls say.

When you say trailer axle , do you mean a trailer and not a tag axle ? I see you have a 40' so I don't think you have a tag , but just want to be sure.
I think the scale weighed my car too ... at a beastly 3400 lbs
Old 01-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
before we pull out of here, I will deflate to 85 all the way around and see how that goes.

These are brand new tires, and the tire shop inflated them, but the current inflations are all over the map from 115 to 100
Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Community Administrator

You should notice a softer ride.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
also according to my ratings, we are 80 lbs over the axle limit in the back, I can't imagine how.... the only thing back there is shirts and a bed
Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Community Administrator

You may want to get it weighed again. Preferably all four corners and unhook the trailer.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
i just had mine inflated to 95# about 20 minutes ago while getting my spring oil change to head south, i have wear on inside and out side ribs of my front tires dealer said under inflation (80) so i had them inflated to the max written on the side wall we will see how it goes
brianj
Old 01-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #9

You only have half of the info you need. You should to get a four corner weight with four individual scales. There might be a 700-1000# difference between the weight on the steering tires. Until you can confirm what each corner weighs, inflate each tire to 90 psi (10 over recommended). That will cover you if one tire is carrying more than the other. Carrying 10 over recommended will also keep the pressure above the minimum psi on cold mornings.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
You only have half of the info you need. You should to get a four corner weight with four individual scales. There might be a 700-1000# difference between the weight on the steering tires. Until you can confirm what each corner weighs, inflate each tire to 90 psi (10 over recommended). That will cover you if one tire is carrying more than the other. Carrying 10 over recommended will also keep the pressure above the minimum psi on cold mornings.
Crasher
Good info.

This is the only thing I would ad:
All tires on any one axle should be inflated to the exactly the same psi, (that being the recommend psi for the tire, or pair of tires, carrying the heaviest weight on that axle).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #11

"Over inflating" is kind of a misnomer when it comes to truck tires. Yes, there is a point when you could be overinflated, but the potential for traction or wear issues is pretty slim. Unless you have a really wide tire, the contact patch doesn't change laterally, but only linear (fore and aft). So the chances of ever seeing wear from over inflation is slim to none. Generally speaking, you should use the 4 corner weight as a minimum, and then experiment with different air pressures to achieve the best compromise between handling and ride comfort. Also realize that less air can mean worse ride, as the combination of springs, shocks, and tires all work together in rhythm. If the tire is too soft, it absorbs too much of the bump, and the suspension never flexes. The resonant impact gets transferred throughout the whole vehicle, rather than being absorbed by the suspension. So handling and ride is pretty much by experiment within the constraints of the 4 corner weight. A good example would be my original GY tires, which I ran at specified pressure ~65 lbs. My current Firestones I run at 80 PSI, and they are still softer then the GYs.

Running at 90 PSI is pretty reasonable advice, without knowing the exact weight on each tire.

BTY:I've gone through 3 sets of Firestones running max pressure and have yet to see it shorten the useful life of the tire as a result of wearing in the middle.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #12

Do any motorhome tires wear out...or do they all get thrown away due to reaching some undetermined age? I have only met a handful of people with 100,000 miles on their motorhome.

Don't lower tire pressures create more sidewall heat? Isn't that what causes most tire failures? Why would anyone want to run low pressures in their tires?

I run enough of the same pressure in all my tires...so that I don't have to constantly be worrying. I check before any new trip...especially after sitting for more than a week. From sea level to 8000 feet, summer to winter, they have never varied more than a few psi. I have not added any air in 2 years and 16000 miles.

What did the world ever do before the advent of pressure monitoring systems and infrared guns? I guess people used a pressure gauge and performed a quick look-see.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
You may want to get it weighed again. Preferably all four corners and unhook the trailer.
^^ This. Take the short drive to the Escapee's Facility at Livingston TX and have the rig 4-corner weighed. Our empty rig as manufactured is heavier on one side than the other; it's good to have the 4-corner weights. Be sure to call and get an appointment if you go to Escapees. SmartWeigh_Default
Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah i totally wish where I had weighed, they had 4 cornering, but alas, they did not at that truck stop. But glad to know with all my great im not grossly overweight.

Tags
tire pressure