Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

Tire problem

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and looking for some info. I have a 2011 Encounter on a Freightliner chassis that I bought new in July of 2012. Was on a trip last week and blew the left rear inner tire. The tire guy told me that my tires were 6 years old and needed to be replaced as they were starting to dry rote. I have owned this coach for 20 months. Is this normal? My research has found that the chassis was built in October of 2008. The coach built date is September 2010. So I have a coach that is registered as a 3 years old coach with 6 year old tires that need replacing. Has anyone else had this problem. I called that dealer and they said they would talk to Freightliner about it. I told them this was a safety issue that needs to be fixed. I park my coach in an enclosed carport so the tires only see sunlight when I'm using it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It makes sense. If you chassis was built 2008, then your tires are about 6 years old. I have my tires inspected every year(by a heavy truck tire shop), and at 6 years, I keep a close eye on them. Michelin specifies there tires may not need to be replaced up to 10 years. I have never made 10 years, typically I am getting 6-8 years.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Look at your chassis VIN number and count to the tenth position. If your chassis really is a 2008, the tenth character of the VIN should be an "8". 2009 would be "9", and the alphabet started with "A" at 2010, and currently at "E" for 2014. The tires also have date codes, but it would really be interesting... at least to me... to see a brand new motorhome built on a three year old chassis. Spilt years can be pretty common, a 2014 motorhome on a 2013 chassis, but again, a three year old chassis... WOW!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

What surprises me is that "dry rot" seems to be a particularly USA phenomenom and one that is unrelated to climate since it seems to be endemic across the whole of the US. In Australia, with just as big extremes of climate across different ranges of temperatures (but generally higher which I would have though would exacerbate the problem), that term or any equivalent is rarely brought up as a reason to change tyres.

Forget the proclamations that tyres more than 5 years and one day old are dangerous and take notice of what Michelin advise.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. Six years is the time a lot of people start looking at tires. If yours sat for three years without movement , that would have accelerated the deterioration. Chassis are built in advance of MH mfg but that far ( three years ) seems way too long a period. Hopefully your dealer can get you some relief.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
There may be several rigs sporting a 2008 chassis that did not get used until 2010 or later....

It was not uncommon to find a year old chassis on a new rig in the good old high volume MH sales days.

Beginning with the 2008 economic downturn in the RV industry, there were probably many bare chassis gathering dust and sunburn until someone needed the next new RV.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmignogno View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and looking for some info. I have a 2011 Encounter on a Freightliner chassis that I bought new in July of 2012. Was on a trip last week and blew the left rear inner tire. The tire guy told me that my tires were 6 years old and needed to be replaced as they were starting to dry rote. I have owned this coach for 20 months. Is this normal? My research has found that the chassis was built in October of 2008. The coach built date is September 2010. So I have a coach that is registered as a 3 years old coach with 6 year old tires that need replacing. Has anyone else had this problem. I called that dealer and they said they would talk to Freightliner about it. I told them this was a safety issue that needs to be fixed. I park my coach in an enclosed carport so the tires only see sunlight when I'm using it.
From about '06 through '09 there was a wide spread practice in the motorhome business of stock piling chassis ahead of a major change in EPA emissions requirements. The '07 requirement of a diesel particulate filter did not appear on most motorhomes until '08 or later. Same thing happened for the '10 requirement that resulted in the SCR systems that require an operator required additive. This did not appear in motorhomes until after '11.

Do you have a DPF on your exhaust system? If not then the engine in your '08 chassis was built in '06.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2007 model year MH built on a 2005 chassis and it was equipped with 2005 tires. From my experience at least 2 years between chassis and model seems to be fairly common.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Worst yet would be a Workhorse engine with no warranty when he bought it.

Subaru Outback, Cricket SW3
seasonedsole is offline   Reply With Quote