Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire Problems

I own a 2000 Bounder 39Z by Fleetwood and there is no place for a spare tire to be carried on the MH at least I can't find one. What do you do if you require road service do to a tire problem.
bounder-andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 AM   #2

I carry a non-mounted spare in the basement - being non mounted it's possible to flatten it to fit under or between things.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You might "search" this site for spare tire as this subject has been discussed mutiple times recently. I would venture to say that over 50% of motorhomes do not carry a spare and plan to tell the road service people to "bring a tire".
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #4

Quote:
I own a 2000 Bounder 39Z by Fleetwood and there is no place for a spare tire to be carried on the MH at least I can't find one. What do you do if you require road service do to a tire problem.
I store my spare at the tire store and if or when I need it I will call Good Sam to go get it.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach

I store my spare at the tire store and if or when I need it I will call Good Sam to go get it.
You don't travel far from home I guess. That wouldn't work for me as I travel thousands of miles each year. I carry an unmounted spare. Also, good luck having GS get pick up your tire for you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #6

Quote:
You don't travel far from home I guess
Guess again. We are currently 1400 miles away from home. I don't literally store a tire at a tire store. I will have Good Sam purchase a brand new tire for us in the event of a tire failure which is what alot of people do with great success. This way I don't have to carry a heavy tire with me that most likely will be to old to use when I need it.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
You don't travel far from home I guess. That wouldn't work for me as I travel thousands of miles each year. I carry an unmounted spare. Also, good luck having GS get pick up your tire for you.
We're full-timers, so we're never home, but we don't carry a spare. No room for it. Since we don't have a spare, our ERS (Coach Net) will locate a tire for us before they send a truck for a tire repair. In fact, they told me they wouldn't send the repair truck without a tire unless I insisted. I may end up paying top dollar for the tire if it turns out I do need it, but I don't have the inconvenience of storing a spare.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
We're full-timers, so we're never home, but we don't carry a spare. No room for it. Since we don't have a spare, our ERS (Coach Net) will locate a tire for us before they send a truck for a tire repair. In fact, they told me they wouldn't send the repair truck without a tire unless I insisted. I may end up paying top dollar for the tire if it turns out I do need it, but I don't have the inconvenience of storing a spare.
Same here. No room to carry on mounted or unmounted. I wouldn't want to try to wrestle one of these mounted anyway.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I hope this is true because that is why we recently switched from Good Sam to Coach Net. We don't have room for a spare either. Joe
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder-andy View Post
If you had the room, you could carry an un-mounted spare. This would give you piece of mind that you had the correct tire/brand/size in the event of a failure.

Carrying a mounted spare would make no sense. You're not going to change it yourself anyway.

Most people (including myself) don't carry a spare. We would depend on Coachnet to locate a tire and bring it in the event we need it. You are at the mercy of the availability of the tire but, that's life.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I do carry a mounted spare. My PaceArrow has a place, including a little winch thing to lower it to the ground. I carry a big bottle jack, jack stand, sockets, and torque wrench. I can and have changed tires myself.

But the 19.5's wiegh just a fraction of what the 22'5's do, and don't torque to 450 either.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I carry an unmounted spare 22.5. If when your traveling thru a one-horse town and you have tire problems, it may take 2 or 3 days to get a new tire.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
I carry an unmounted spare 22.5. If when your traveling thru a one-horse town and you have tire problems, it may take 2 or 3 days to get a new tire.
Ahh, you have your home with you, so meet some new people waiting for the tire. I couldn't change mine if I had a spare, I have it done. Doesn't matter if we have to wait, done it, and just meant the kindest people doing so.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:09 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just had a tire rack welded under the rear of our Windsport. Shop custom fit the rack and we carry an unmounted 22.5 tire. You should call around for your tire size. Our 235/80 22.5 is not easy to find on a shelf at tire stores. We paid $350.00 for a new tire and got prices from tire stores of up to $800.00. And the tire would have to be ordered or come from some supplyer.