Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Tire psi

So just to confirm, until I can weigh my MH. I should fill the tires up to what the placard says affixed to driver side, not what is on the side of the tires correct? Tire sidewalls say max 110 psi, however placard inside says 70 front, 75 rear. Thanks is for the help

And it's a 1996 winnebago adventurer 32. Has new tires from the previous owner. Can't wait to get out and use it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Chassis mfg. recommendation is the norm. I always run mine a little over because the heat generated by under inflation is a real tire killer.

fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. It's such a difference in Psi between the 2 I wanted to be sure.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Teamdjcc,
Does the placard identify those numbers as a minimum or maximum. Most likely it is a minimum and the 110 psi on the tire is a maximum for the max load.

If the 70 and 75 psi are minimums then be aware that with temperature and altitude changes there will be a corresponding increase/decrease in tire pressure. There are a lot of threads on the subject. I never set my tires to a minimum, I give them a fudge factor of 5 pounds or more.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

It's listed as "cold inflation pressure". I always assume it to mean Max.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You inflate the tires based on the load. Weigh your coach (individual wheel weights if possible) or axle weights. Refer to the tire manufactures weight table for the proper inflation pressures. Under inflated tires will run hot and fail; over inflated tires will not wear correctly and will cause ride and handling issues.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
You inflate the tires based on the load. Weigh your coach (individual wheel weights if possible) or axle weights. Refer to the tire manufactures weight table for the proper inflation pressures. Under inflated tires will run hot and fail; over inflated tires will not wear correctly and will cause ride and handling issues.
Just trying to see what I should be running until I can find a weigh station.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamdjcc View Post
It's listed as "cold inflation pressure". I always assume it to mean Max.
Thats in reference to the placard. No min or max listed. Tire sidewall says max, but I understand that max could be for a heavier load than I will ever have. ( tire Max psi is generic to tire, placard is specific to my GVWR
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #9

[QUOTE="Teamdjcc"]So just to confirm, until I can weigh my MH. I should fill the tires up to what the placard says affixed to driver side, not what is on the side of the tires correct? Tire sidewalls say max 110 psi%2

Find the placard that lists the GAWR for both axles. Then go to the tire manufacturers web site and look up the inflation table for the tires on your coach. Inflate tires to support the GAWR for both axles. That will protect you from under inflation until you can weigh the coach.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #10

Thank you everybody for the input. I know it's a common asked question. Time to go camping!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #11

tire pressure is all about load on the tires.
And because your plancard pressures are much lower then the maximum of the tires , the original tires with lower maximum load might have been replaced with higher maximum load.
Then if you have now stiffer tires then the plancard pressures are given for , you need a higher pressure for the same loads.

As long as you did not weigh the rigg , you have to do with the GAWR's ( Gross Axle Weight Rating's) .
I made a spreadsheet , in wich you can give the needed data, and it calculates the needed pressure, with my own formula, wich is saver then that , the tire- and car- makers use.
I even add a reserve load , wich you can chanche if wanted .
Here the link to map on my skydrive with the spreadsheets.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a526e...E092E6DC%21793
To use , download it first by right-clicking on it then choose Download from the dropdown-box. Dont pick open in web app or Exel , much to complicated.
After download open in Excell or Open Office Calc to use it fully.
But if you give me the needed details , I will calculate.
Need "maximum load xxxx lbs/kg AT yyy psi/kPa( cold)" from tires and GAWR's of car or if you have them weighed axles or better 4 point weighing.
Tried to atach a xls spreadsheet to this post , but dont know if it is accepted in this forum.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #12

I always use the info on the tire. The label on the MH is what was recommend with the tires that were installed when the MH was built. If you changed tires and they are not the same make/size from when it was new, then go with the tire makers pressure on the current tires...............that's my .02 worth and it may not even worth that much to some people............

Mike
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dang! This has been discussed so many times and a search should find all the answers, correct and incorrect. Go to Tireman9's web site and read all about it.

Look at the tire manufacture's specifications for your tires. Inflate to their recommendations. Consider that temperature change and altitude change have an affect on PSI. Inflate accordingly so that if those changes come into play you are still withing the limits of the tire manufacture's recommended pressures.

You will absolutely not hurt anything by putting the tire manufacturer's max pressure of 110 PSI until you get it weighed.

Go out and have fun. Worry about load limits when it is properly weighed. If you really think you are overweight for 110PSI consider not going anywhere.

Edited: Found my information in another thread.

For every degree of temperature increase change there is a 2% increase change in air pressure. For every 1000 feet of increase in altitude there is a 0.48 degree increase in pressure.

If you provide me with your tire information I will look at the chart(s) I have and give you my fudge factor (another search).

Mr. D: That is correct, 110 psi at max load of ????? (stamped on tire)

Here is Michelin's link: http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...ion-tables.jsp

Example to check on their chart for 255/80R22.5 LRG XRV, XZE

Note: Maximum Load & Pressure on sidewall in right hand side of chart- nothing about minimum. (Matter of interpretation.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The pressure on the sidewall of most RV tires is NOT the maximum they should ever have. It is the MINIMUM pressure to support the MAXIMUM weight the tire should ever have.

This is stated in Michelins RV tire guide and others. I'm on the office computer right now so I don't have the quotes from the manufacturers brochures available at the present.

The sticker on the RV is only valid with the original size and manufacturer of the tires. It's predicated on that and the RV being loaded to it's maximum weight and that could be restricted by the tires or axle ratings.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote