Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tire question

I have a 2004 Diplomat. Back in 04 when I purchased the coach I also
purchased a new Goodyear tire for a spare. I never mounted it just kept it stored away in my compartment in case of an emergency. The tire looks the same in and out as the day I put it away. Is this tire still good? I wanted to replace my rear tires and use this as one of them. Any thoughts on this?
antgazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi antgazz,
Did you coat the tire, from time to time, with the preservative of your choice.? Did you keep it inflated to the pressure on the sidewall. I'd keep it for a spare.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gary I never treated the tire with anything and this tire was never mounted on a wheel, rubber only
antgazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You did not mention the birth date on the tire. 4 digits (branded into the sidewall) first 2 are the week of the year and last 2 identify the year. 0512 = 5th week of 2012. As you may know, a RV tire (sidewalls) has an average life span of 5-7 years.
I do not know if a commercial tire company would mount the tire onto a rim as they would be opening themselves up to liability if the tire blew and there was injury or damage.
Personally, I might continue carrying the old tire as a spare just incase I had a flat and emergency road service could not locate a tire easily or within reasonable cost, then I could limp the RV into the next town to buy a new tire.
Personally, I would not trust the 8 year tire at a speed above 30 mph as a blow out can cause a lot of RV damage. It could destroy the fender, pop a floor upward, and shread something underneath. In addition and you could loose steering control if a front tire or cause an accident in recovering from the flat.
Bottom line: Not worth the risk. Think Safety First.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Given that the tire was purchased in 2004, it is at least that old and maybe even a year older. Given that it is 9-10 years old I would be very leery of using it. The chances of a failure are just too great and you probably would not get more than a year or so out of it anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Tire Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Given that the tire was purchased in 2004, it is at least that old and maybe even a year older. Given that it is 9-10 years old I would be very leery of using it. The chances of a failure are just too great and you probably would not get more than a year or so out of it anyway.
Hi All..
Attended a Michelin Tire seminar in Las Vegas a couple of years ago at an American coach rally. The "Michelin" man said with yearly inspections tires could run as long as 10 years.. I haven't run mine that long but see no reason not to run for 8 years..
But it might be worth the $$ for "peace of mind"!
I think maintaining tire pressure and overall care (like 303 protectant which is the only one accepted by Michelin) are the keys to full trouble free life!
Ron Husak
97 Eagle
Currently at Lake Havasu
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I e mailed Michelin and like rhusak said they say ten years MAX, but they said with only minor cracking. They have a crack chart on their web site. I would keep it as a spare only.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #8

Just one point raised about pressure in tyres that aren't carrying weight.
I have seen recommendations that if it is holding the weight of the vehicle in storage then pressure should be whatever is maximum sidewall pressure, and if it is holding no weight then it should be around 15% of sidewall pressure.
Makes sense to me.

I would keep that tyre as a spare and use it with confidence as a spare when the time comes. I mightn't roar down the highway at 75mph, but if you had a brand new tyre on a dual with a worn tyre, you shouldn't be doing that anyway regardless of ages.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hi All..
Attended a Michelin Tire seminar in Las Vegas a couple of years ago at an American coach rally. The "Michelin" man said with yearly inspections tires could run as long as 10 years.. I haven't run mine that long but see no reason not to run for 8 years..
But it might be worth the $$ for "peace of mind"!
I think maintaining tire pressure and overall care (like 303 protectant which is the only one accepted by Michelin) are the keys to full trouble free life!
Ron Husak
97 Eagle
Currently at Lake Havasu
Michelin changed from allowing 303 to using only their brand some years ago. The product appears to be rebranded 303 and it isn't available the last I looked. I just looked again and it's still out of stock
Now Michelin says to only wash the sidewalls with a brush and soap.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Just one point raised about pressure in tyres that aren't carrying weight.
I have seen recommendations that if it is holding the weight of the vehicle in storage then pressure should be whatever is maximum sidewall pressure, and if it is holding no weight then it should be around 15% of sidewall pressure.
Makes sense to me.

I would keep that tyre as a spare and use it with confidence as a spare when the time comes. I mightn't roar down the highway at 75mph, but if you had a brand new tyre on a dual with a worn tyre, you shouldn't be doing that anyway regardless of ages.
The pressure on the sidewall of some light truck and heavier vehicles is not the maximum the tire should ever have.
Here's what Michelin and others say:
ON TRUCK size tires the cold pressure on the sidewall is the MINIMUM required to support the maximum weight rating of the tires. Same with the tire charts, it's the MINIMUM cold pressure to support the weight. So YES you can exceed the pressure on the sidewall by a few psi

Quote:
From page 2 of the 06/07 Michelin RV Tire Guide: "If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From the Firestone/Bridgestone RV tire guide:
Quote:
Bear in mind that these are maximum ratings. The sidewall of the tire shows maximum load and minimum inflation pressure for that load
From the GoodYear RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load.
Now Toyo ad Continental do say the molded in pressure is the max COLD pressure.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to tell you that I had an '88 Itasca Windcruiser that I bought new in September of 1987. I drove it on Michelin tires until June of 2002. (almost 15 years) Never had a blowout and only replaced two tires due to excessive sidewall cracking. Now, I wouldn't do that again, but I think people who change tires at seven years old are worry-warts.
Steve
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I have to tell you that I had an '88 Itasca Windcruiser that I bought new in September of 1987. I drove it on Michelin tires until June of 2002. (almost 15 years) Never had a blowout and only replaced two tires due to excessive sidewall cracking. Now, I wouldn't do that again, but I think people who change tires at seven years old are worry-warts.
Steve
Those that dont worry have no warts.
If you amortize the difference between 7 and 10 years, the monthly difference is as cheap as a few happy meals.
I set aside enough. I change them at 7, and never worry.
Just sayin.....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

Those that dont worry have no warts.
If you amortize the difference between 7 and 10 years, the monthly difference is as cheap as a few happy meals.
I set aside enough. I change them at 7, and never worry.
Just sayin.....
We like Happy Meals.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #14

Had just put new Michelins on our 05 MH and went on a tour only to have blow out on the front passenger side. Put the spare on and limped into a service station in nowhere Alberta. They did not have the size of tire required so continued our tour and came home without a spare (only a 1500 mile tour). When I got back I went to the tire shop that had installed the new tires before our trip and they would not replace the blown tire as we did not carry home the shredded piece of junk only the rim which was also damaged. They said Michelin required they see the bad tire in order to justify replacement. Will not put Michelins on my grandkids baby carriage.
Denlor is offline   Reply With Quote