Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #15

The tires are 8 years old and showing sidewall checking.
flattire101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2018, 11:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattire101 View Post
The tires are 8 years old and showing sidewall checking.
If the sidewalls are cracking or checking you are likely due for new tires. My toyo’s were 10 when I replaced them and still looked like new but still aged out. I saw a 4 year old allegro dp last week with Michelin’s the dot numbers were 4 1/2 years old but they were severely cracked on the sidewalls i’d Be afraid to drive it anywhere but to the tire shop.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #17

I ran into the same issue a few yrs back with the Toyo’s being back ordered ( my first choice)
I wound up with Hankook A12’s
and no regrets been running them for 3 yrs. All good. JWID
Dick Missett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #18

Oh by the way super glad I had the tires changed. On the back inner inside towards other tire there was a 1 inch deep split all aroung the tire 1 inch above the bead. Never would have seen the split if the tires were not remove. Lucky this time. Usually if I don't have bad luck I have no luck at all:
Old 12-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #19

I found the Toyos in stock from Simple Tire and after paying $195 freight I still saved a small amount of $ over the previous vendor that was out of stock. Tires were delivered 1 day early from this vendor. Highly recommend Simple Tire. Black's Tire in Florence S. C. did the install and was able to do a road force balance. Their policy is to install new valve stems on every dismount no matter haw new they are. I was a car tire dealer for 40 years and also practiced this policy. Again highly recommend Black's Tire. Reserving comment on how I like the Toyo tires. I HAVE NOT weighed the coach as I have been running empty and have less than 100 miles since purchase. I had 110 psi installed in the tires and I think this is too much. Old tires tracked true , but since the coach is still new to me I never checked the actual amount of air in the tires. New tires at this psi are very nervous or squirrelly and require CONSTANT correction to keep the MH in my lane. Any RECOMMENDED AIR PRESSURE to try until I can get it weighed? I have a 200 mile round trip to make this weekend and it is a real pain to drive the way it is now.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #20

You may have worn front end parts or may need a front end alignment? Hard to say what pressure is needed with out knowing the weight. I set mine at 90 psi but I weighed it first then looked on the Toyo chart for the weights.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #21

Does anybody on here mount their own tires? Close to 20 years ago I bought a Harbor Freight manual tire changer when I was running demolition derby, then I used it when I began racing dirt track and on my daily drivers as well. Been using airsoft BB's inside the tires of my DD to balance them for a few years and have had zero issues. Many years ago as a young private I changed tires on a 2 1/2 ton truck and may have even taken that one off the rim and replaced it but it was a split rim and we had a special cage for it. At any rate, there is a tool that could be had for changing 17.5-24 in tires.
Its on Amazon look up Goplus 17.5-24, videos on YouTube how to use it. I'm so used to changing my own tires this is the route I think I will take when I replace mine.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:53 PM   #22

Almost bought the Toyo M154 but found out they were not rated for my coach weight, M154 295/75R are rated at approx. 6200 lbs, Toyo M144 295/80 R are rated at approx. 7800 lbs, I may be a little off on weights but there is a big difference, not sure where your at but Les Swab has 1000 in stock.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
" I had 110 psi installed in the tires and I think this is too much. Old tires tracked true , but since the coach is still new to me I never checked the actual amount of air in the tires. New tires at this psi are very nervous or squirrelly and require CONSTANT correction to keep the MH in my lane. Any RECOMMENDED AIR PRESSURE to try until I can get it weighed? I have a 200 mile round trip to make this weekend and it is a real pain to drive the way it is now."

110#'s sounds like too much air to me, but with out knowing your coach weight, just guessing!
New tires will feel squirrely till they get a few heat/cool cycles in them! Depends on the tire how many it will take for the rubber to cure, and they get stable feeling!
It took my new steer tires about 900/1000 miles before they fully cured, and it drove like it did before I changed them out! Every tire is different!
Rail!
Old 12-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #24

I dropped air pressure to 95 psi and it made a remarkable difference in the way the coach handled.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
I realize there are many differences -- but on my TOYO's on a 40 ft 2000 American Eagle on Spartan chassis --- my pressues come out as 110 front and 100 rear. At those pressure my RV tracks and handles great.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #26

Older tires that have been maintained under inflated for years and then have the pressure increased are very likely to crack. Many times this leads to tread separation. If you purchase a motor home that has been sitting and has older tires maintained at lower than necessary pressure then you should consider changing them ASAP. Then weights and temperature to find the sweet inflation spot for the life of the tire. If you have set the psig based on weight and the tire is running warm, increase the psig if the sidewall rating allows. If you are already there then your tire is simply overloaded and you need to reduce weight or consider a higher rated tire assuming your axle is within tolerance.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattire101 View Post
I dropped air pressure to 95 psi and it made a remarkable difference in the way the coach handled.
What does the placard on your coach recommend? The placard pressure is the only "SAFE" pressure to run till you can weigh each corner. You might be fine @ 95 psi, but you might also be under inflated too.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote