Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire Question

I have just put two front tires on (Goodyear 670 (295/80/22.5)). I will be replacing the backs soon and would like to know what the best tire for the $$$ amount is the choice. I have heard of some problems with the Goodyear's, have heard that Firestone's are good. Would like to hear from some people that have experience with the brands on there coach!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've continued to read good reports on the Michelin XZE and have been happy with the set on our coach. My understanding is that it's a truck tire rather than a RV tire so it has somewhat stiffer sidewalls but that allows for somewhat lower air pressures and we like the ride we get from ours.

Good Luck....

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are having good luck with our TOYOs, replaced the Michelins and have been happy.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Your choice in the 295/80R22.5 size is rather limited (I have the same tire). The best combination of price and brand name is the Bridgestone R250F, which is cheaper than GT or Michelin but a worldwide brand of respect. Another is the lesser known but excellent Continental HSR2. Among the low priced brands, Kumho makes that size in several of their lines.

I've had no problems with the Goodyears on mine, but am looking to save some $$ when I replace the rears in the next 4-5 months. Michelin & GY are just too much money.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

Tire Option

We just purchased 2 new H rated(16ply) Sumitomo ST727 11R-22.5 tires for our 98 Signature. Cost $300 ea + fet + state sales tax + mounting + balancing = $800.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #6

I just replaced my drive tires. I stuck with Goodyear G670's. My old one's were 5 1/2 years old with 50,000 miles. Very little wear, no cracks of any kind in the sidewall and I don't use tire covers. Goodyear says it's not necessary on the G670's.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
We just purchased 2 new H rated(16ply) Sumitomo ST727 11R-22.5 tires for our 98 Signature. Cost $300 ea + fet + state sales tax + mounting + balancing = $800.
And every week we get a few posts from folks who want to by a coach because they think it'll be an economical choice for family travel. It's a lot of things before it's economical.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have heard that the Bridgestone R250F for the cost are the best to buy? A friend was telling me about them. Confusion still! Sense I have already but the goodyears on the from does it matter what goes on the back4?
Old 12-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #9

Andy5010 - Since you put in you post you wanted to save $$$$ likely you should look around at tires other than Michelin and GY since they are the most money. The tires that seem to get repeated good mention are Toyo, BF Goodrich, Bridgestone, Hankook, Yokohama, and Conti - IMHO it is best to stick with tires that have a USA wide service network. I would not be afraid of any of the brands mentioned above. Be SURE!!!! that when you replace your drive tires that they are not so close together they rub. I have a similar replacement coming up next spring and will make sure personally they the size is correct. I have thought for a long time Michelin made the best tires. I just bought a set of Michelin for my passenger car. They were the most expensive. I had to take the car back twice before the dealer figured out one of the tires was out of round and replaced it. So for sure Michelin has their issues too.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Andy5010 - Since you put in you post you wanted to save $$$$ likely you should look around at tires other than Michelin and GY since they are the most money. The tires that seem to get repeated good mention are Toyo, BF Goodrich, Bridgestone, Hankook, Yokohama, and Conti - IMHO it is best to stick with tires that have a USA wide service network. I would not be afraid of any of the brands mentioned above.
All of the tires you mention are probably pretty equivalent in quality. Most of them are made in China or Korea, including many of the "big" name tires.

All of the brands you mention are in fleet use which is a pretty good endorsement.

I chose Toyos for my coach this past summer because the comparable metric size to my original 9R22.5s was the best combination of price, availability, and load rating up-grade. But I would have gone with any of the brands listed above.

Quote:
Be SURE!!!! that when you replace your drive tires that they are not so close together they rub. I have a similar replacement coming up next spring and will make sure personally they the size is correct. I have thought for a long time Michelin made the best tires. I just bought a set of Michelin for my passenger car. They were the most expensive. I had to take the car back twice before the dealer figured out one of the tires was out of round and replaced it. So for sure Michelin has their issues too.
I've posted in other tire threads about a couple of ways to estimate dual spacing when you change tire size. Haven't heard any corrrections <grin> and the tires I bought (P265/75 R22.5) have more than adequate spacing.

It was quite a learning experience doing all the Internet searches trying to find relatively simple ways to get a good answer.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #11

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
We just switched from Goodyears to Bridgestones in the same size..... I think the B/S is a better tire and since you aren't supposed to keep them more than 7-10 years, why pay so much extra for a tire that will never see the miles!
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes I agree that the cost-vs-years of use is a factor. I am leaning towards the bridgestones as the reports are very positive (Good Tire for the $$$). Thanks for the input and if you might give me a report down the road of how well the B/S are preforming.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #13

I just recently replaced all 6 of mine with Bridgestones because of all that I read on this forum.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tires

From what I have read from the RV "Experts" is to make sure they have steel belts. I not sure all the brands mentioned do. I know GoodYear and Michelin do.
Ed Robbins
2011 Diplomat