Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to smoker
Question Tire question

I have a 99 dsdp, and I would like to know what's the difference between a truck tire and a motorhome tire. It has a set of michlenin xza, that say regoovable, is this a truck tire. I have never seen that on a mh. tire, except this one.. and help would be appreciated.
smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's an all wheel position radial truck tire according to the Michelin RV Tire Guide I just looked it up in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The main difference is ozone resistance. Truck tires are worn out quickly. There is no reason to have a long life ozone protection. Motorhome tires last much longer and suffer from damage from the air and sun. This is NOT my guess . It is straight from the factory engineer.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The main difference is ozone resistance. Truck tires are worn out quickly. There is no reason to have a long life ozone protection. Motorhome tires last much longer and suffer from damage from the air and sun. This is NOT my guess . It is straight from the factory engineer.
Yep, truck tires are worn out by high mileage, RV tires are worn out by old age.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #5

Another difference between RV and truck tires is the construction of the sidewalls. RV tires tend to have more flexible sidewalls which will allow a softer ride. Truck tires have a stiffer, more verticle sidewall construction to carry heavier loads. The point that RV tires die from old age versus wear on the road is very, very true.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There is no reason to be concerned about the XZA or similar Michelin models. I'm running "truck tires" on my rear axle, as do many other RVers (mine are Continental HSR2's). And my previous motorhome came with "truck tires" too.

As already noted, the few tires designed exclusively for RV use will typically have extra ozone and ultraviolet protection in the rubber and are designed for ride comfort and quiet rather than the highest mileage. But most modern tires have plenty of ozone/UV protection anyway and ride & noise differences are often undetectable except by lab instruments.

As far as I know, the only tire that Michelin designates as exclusively for RV use is the XRV. And Goodyears RV-only tire is the G670. Neither of these is offered in all possible sizes and load ranges, so many RVs use other brands and models of tires.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Gary, please excuse the newbie questions, but I just bought a MH that needs new tires.

What is your rationale for using the truck tires? Just learning here....

Thanks.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't choose them specifically because they were truck tires instead of RV tires. I chose them to save money. I went to a slightly different size but equivalent load capacity tire that is widely used on commercial vehicles, the 11R22.5. Because of the larger production volume and increased competition among tire manufacturers, I paid $460/tire (mounted and balanced) whereas the "RV tire" for my coach was quoted at around $700/tire. That saved me $1000 on the set of four rear tires.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The basic difference between truck tires and motor home tires is truck tires will usually give a harsher ride,, this at the benefit of perhaps a higher load range.

You can use truck tires on a motor home.. The reverse, I'd not recommend.

Short story/theory
Some years ago Ford sold Roll-a-matics, (The Ford Explorer) These puppies were flipping arse over apple cart so fast it was amazing.. Many deaths due to them rolling.

Ford blamed Firestone and Firestone took the blame, Letting ford off the hook.

Here are some facts:

Ford builds light, that is the chassis they used was not the proper size for the body, they should have used one size "Bigger" frame, this means it had stability issues.

Ford also bulids high ground clearance when compared to say GM, which has a wheel base that's just a little bit wider (and a lot more stable)

Ford also knew that YUPPIES were buying these SUV's to replace the family Grocery Getter Station wagon so in order to give them a softer ride recommended a tire pressure five PSI less than Firestone did for the same load.

Now the theory part:

My YUPPIE thinks "I don't need to check tire pressure, New tires don't leak" (Well, not much anyway)

The oil change tech at Quick Oil Changes R Us skipped the tire air check at the last oil and lube as well.

He's not driving on proper pressure minus 5 PSI He's driving on FIVE PSI (ok, Fifteen)

he's flying down the road in his mini-truck (Speed lmit 55mph for trucks) doing 80 (it's only 70 for cars) when he hits (Voice of doom mode on) THE POT HOLE (Voice of doom mode off) with no pressure to prevent it as the wheel comes out of the hole the rim goes straight through the sidewall of the tire and we have sudden explosive tire failure.

Mr YUPPIE who is not a motor vehicle operator, he's a "point and shoot" driver, stands on teh brakes with both feet.

What's the next to the last thing you should do when a tire blows... Yup, Stand on the brakes with both feet,, What's the last thing (Which of course he does next) Roll over and die.

Proper inflation is important.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #10

My Breeze has GY 245/70R-19.5 G670 Unisteels and they also say regrovable. What exactly does regrovable mean to an RV owner? When and how much more can they be regroved. I think age is going to get to them before they wear out.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #11

We purchased our coach 2004 coach in January. It had the original Michelin XZE 275/80R 22.5. The sidewalls had some significant cracking. We replaced all 6 with Toyo's truck tires. The ride seems to be the same or better.

If the Toyo's are good enough for over the road truckers, they should be good enough for my trips.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco
We purchased our coach 2004 coach in January. It had the original Michelin XZE 275/80R 22.5. The sidewalls had some significant cracking. We replaced all 6 with Toyo's truck tires. The ride seems to be the same or better.

If the Toyo's are good enough for over the road truckers, they should be good enough for my trips.
Exact same situation for us. We replaced the original 2004 Michelins with 34k miles with new Toyos. The tires were less expensive than replacememt Michelins and the ride is very nice AND quiet. We're really happy with the Toyos.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to smoker
Thanks to everyone who reply to my question, will now be looking for some Toyo's truck tires. smoker
smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 AM   #14

A lot of us with toy haulers got away from the "ST" rated trailer tires due to excessive separations. Even "E" range trailer tires failed. We went with Yokohama "AT" rated truck tires in the 235-70/16 range and have never looked back.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote