Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
tire question "regroovable" and general opinions

I just looked at a
1999 Rexhall Rexhall Aerbus 3650BSL Dual Slide.

It looks pretty good. It needs a new awning cloth and maybe some undercoating. I'm surprised Rexhall didn't put undercoating on the bare steel frame work at the time of manufacture. The thing I ran into that I need an answer to is this. The tires were marked regroovable. OK that part is obvious. Does this mean they are retreads or something. I also could not find a date code on them. They are Goodyears. This is the second owner and he said he has had the MH 7 years and not changed tires. So,they need to be replaced. This is good because I need to get him to come down from $41,000 to more like $30,000 that we have budgeted for. the odometer says 43,500 mi. Anybody have experience with a Generac NP-66G? Most of the MH's I have looked at have the Onan 5.5K. Open to any comments or suggestions.
sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot of truck tires are "regrooveable" - there is a lot of rubber on the tread and if they were to cut the grooves as deep as they could you would get a lot of squirm out of the tire. So, they put a reasonable depth in the grooves and after you wear them down, in 80K miles or so, you can take them to a truck tire place and they can use a tool to cut the grooves deeper - you can then run the tires for another 20K miles or so.

This makes sense for long-haul trucks that can get upwards of 100K miles per year on their tires - for our use it probably doesn't make much sense because our tires die from old age long before we wear them out.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #3

My Rockwood has the Generac it's done well. Plenty of power out to run both a/c units and everything else in the coach.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #4

The tires technically could have ther tread cut deeper. However since they are 7 years old I doubt you will find anyone who will do it. To further complicate matters regrooved tires can only be used on a drive or trailer axle. Only new tires are allowed on the steering axle.

I doubt you'll get the price down to $31,000.00 because it needs new tires. A new set of Goodyear G670's size 245/70R19.5 costs about $2400.00 in our area. That includes mounting, balancing, new valve stems, and disposal fee for the old casings.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Mh was at a dealer until just recently. There it was listed at $41,500. I know I can't expect it to come 10K just for tires. The owner has it back in his possession. I wonder what a dealer gets for commission on a consignment rig? Let's see, I do beleve in miracles. We can come up some too. $30K is our target price.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As was said, A lot of truck Tires are "Regrovable" however....
Those semi trucks think nothing of traveling 500 miles a day (or more) and thus can very quickly roll 10's of thousands of miles. RV's do not normally go 500 miles a day (Though mine did hit 300 today) And then only on rare occasions.

THUS... The RV tire reaches its shelf life LONG before the tread wear becomes an issue.. So buying a "Regrovable" tire.. Which one assumes would be more costly.. Waste of $$$$$
Old 10-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You need to get the price down near $30k because that's about what it is worth, even with the low mileage. NADA gives $37k as average and $31k as low retail for that coach with those miles. Since it clearly needs tires and this is a private sale, "Low Retail" is all I would expect to pay.

NADA - 1999 Rexhall 3650BSL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCarycary View Post
The Mh was at a dealer until just recently. There it was listed at $41,500. I know I can't expect it to come 10K just for tires. The owner has it back in his possession. I wonder what a dealer gets for commission on a consignment rig? Let's see, I do beleve in miracles. We can come up some too. $30K is our target price.
I sold a 1999 Rose Air 3550 2 slides exc. shape with 25000 mi. last Feb. Hope this might help determine what one is worth , good luck
john5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #9

rose air

Sorry forgot to include selling price it was 32000.00
john5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCarycary View Post
I just looked at a
1999 Rexhall Rexhall Aerbus 3650BSL Dual Slide.

It looks pretty good. It needs a new awning cloth and maybe some undercoating. I'm surprised Rexhall didn't put undercoating on the bare steel frame work at the time of manufacture. The thing I ran into that I need an answer to is this. The tires were marked regroovable. OK that part is obvious. Does this mean they are retreads or something. I also could not find a date code on them. They are Goodyears. This is the second owner and he said he has had the MH 7 years and not changed tires. So,they need to be replaced. This is good because I need to get him to come down from $41,000 to more like $30,000 that we have budgeted for. the odometer says 43,500 mi. Anybody have experience with a Generac NP-66G? Most of the MH's I have looked at have the Onan 5.5K. Open to any comments or suggestions.
On my previous RV I had Goodyears that said regrooveable on side.

So I called a big truck tire dealer in Los Angeles and the service manager said with value of my RV you should never consider regrooving. In fact at that time he told me the economics of regrooving made it pretty nonexistant for over the road trucks. That was cost of regroving and safety vs. just replacing with new. But he said there was still plenty of regrooving on large construction machinery.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #11

I wonder what a dealer gets for commission on a consignment rig?

Normally a dealer gets in the range of 20% for consignment sales.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #12

Nada...how accurate?

I had a consignment dealer (has 20 or so rvs and been there for years on hwy 10 fwy ) He told me last year figure nada at being 15 % high.
I dunno if this is accurate or not. That is what his opinion was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You need to get the price down near $30k because that's about what it is worth, even with the low mileage. NADA gives $37k as average and $31k as low retail for that coach with those miles. Since it clearly needs tires and this is a private sale, "Low Retail" is all I would expect to pay.

NADA - 1999 Rexhall 3650BSL
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up You guys are great!

With all the information I get from you guys, I feel well equipped to haggle price and have a pretty good idea of what I am looking at when considering a MH for purchase. Thank You Thank You Thank You.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote