Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tire Question: Size Change?

I'm making plans to put new rubber on my 2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43DFT - and have been speaking to a fleet tire supplier who will happily work with me under the FMCA tire discount program.

My coach came outfitted with Goodyear G670 295/80R22.5 tires. While I haven't had any issues with the Goodyear tires - I'm looking at replacing them with the Michelin XZA2 tires. While discussing it with the folks at the fleet tire supplier - it was suggested that I consider replacing the 295/80R22.5 tires with the slightly larger 315/80R22.5 tires.

According to the folks at the fleet tire supplier - my existing wheels/rims will accommodate the slightly larger tire - and that moving to the larger tire will increase the weight limits of the individual tire by a bit. While I'm well within the weight limits of either size - the idea of adding a bit more "headroom" to my capacity doesn't sound like a bad idea.

According to the tire specs below - it looks like the larger tires would add 1/32nd worth of tread depth - and add 1 inch to the diameter and .8 inches to the overall tire width. I appear to have sufficient space (wheels, cowling clearance, etc.) to accommodate the increase in size.

Can anybody give me a good reason NOT to move to the slightly larger tire?

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only downsides would be a slight error in your speedometer and a possible slight decrease in power (likely unnoticeable). Also make sure that you still have sufficient spacing between the duals.

4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
The only downsides would be a slight error in your speedometer and a possible slight decrease in power (likely unnoticeable). Also make sure that you still have sufficient spacing between the duals.
I can live with the speedometer issue - more often than not I find that I look at the digital readout on the GPS unit as opposed to "guessing" exactly where the needle is pointing on unmarked portion of the arc between the labels on the actual speedometer gauge itself.

The dual spacing I'll have to look at....

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Height (aspect ratio) is profile percentage of width.
Example:

295 x 80% = 236 mm sidewall height
And
315 x 80% = 252 mm sidewall height

Tire rev per mile on the 295 = 506
Tire rev per mile on the 315 = 491
The 295 tire rolled 15 more times per mile...

Your speed-o will hardly know the difference..maybe a mph slow?. As long as you have standard offset wheel, dual spacing shouldn't be issue

My $.02 is if cost difference is cool with you, go for it.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
My $.02 is if cost difference is cool with you, go for it.
In very round numbers - going with the larger tire will add roughly $350 to a $5,400 base price. While I don't like to just throw money away - I AM a huge believer in the principle of "buy once, cry once".

To be honest my biggest concern is the clearance between the fiberglass cowling around the rear wheels. When the rear air bags are deflated - there's not much clearance there with the existing 295/80R22.5 tires. I need to look at that just to confirm that the cowling won't make contact with the larger tires when the read air bags deflate. If I've got sufficient clearance there - I think I'm going to go for the larger size.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
In very round numbers - going with the larger tire will add roughly $350 to a $5,400 base price. While I don't like to just throw money away - I AM a huge believer in the principle of "buy once, cry once".

To be honest my biggest concern is the clearance between the fiberglass cowling around the rear wheels. When the rear air bags are deflated - there's not much clearance there with the existing 295/80R22.5 tires. I need to look at that just to confirm that the cowling won't make contact with the larger tires when the read air bags deflate. If I've got sufficient clearance there - I think I'm going to go for the larger size.
Best place to get this answered is by Holiday Rambler. They should know if you have clearance to deflate your air bags.

Holiday Rambler Motorhome Service Centers – REV Regional Technical Centers

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I went from 295/70/22.5 to 1100./22.5. The 1100's are a little better than an inch tall and they a fine . They look pretty tight when all the air is out of the bags but do not touch anything.