Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tire questions

I am looking at a new to me coach that has BF Goodrich ST230 (315/80-22.5) on the steer axle and it has Firestone FS400 tires on the tag and drive axles.
I have always been a bit leery of Firestone tires since the tire rupture issues of many years ago, and that bias may no longer be reasonable. I know very little about either the Firestone FS 400 or The BF Goodrich ST230. The tire date codes are from mid 2013 so I'd like to keep them for a few years if possible. Do any of you have experience with or knowledge of either of these tires. I have only used Michelins on my current coach. The coach I am looking at originally came with Toyos...I may well go back to them when I change.
Thanks in advance
Dave
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #2

We have not had any issues with Firestone truck tires on our work trucks. I would not hesitate to use Firestone tires on our coach.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just put Firestones on my DP last fall. Would do it again. Michelin's are out of my budget.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

I had the ST230's as my 2nd choice when I put our first set of shoes on our new/used coach.

When I loss two tires last year to California pot holes, I put two ST230's on our steers. About 7K on them now, and they ride well, and have no complaints.

I'll be moving these to the Tag position next week, as I replace our other 6 tires due to age. TCI Tire Center had 6 ST230's dated early 2015, very close to the same date as the two steers I have now, so I elected to go to different tire in a different size for the other 6. All dated 0416.

The one thing none of us can tell you, and the make of the tire does not matter - is how well the tires were cared for as far as proper inflation, and not abusive driving, prior to your purchase. All you can do is careful inspection, and take good care of them from here on out.

I do not know the Firestones, but others have reported to be happy with that specific model from what I recall.

Best of luck to you, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
The tire rupture issues with Firestone's was more and issue with FORD trying to get a better ride thru under inflating the tires causing them to overheat and blow then with Firestone, beside their rupture issue's involved SUV tires.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Firestone is Bridgestone and Goodrich is Michelin, so distrusting one means to distrust the other. For the size tires we are talking about, they are probably identical to their Bridgestone or Michelin counterpart, the same tire from the same factory with a different name embossed on the side.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

Tires

I put Firestone tires on an SUV in 2007. Had no problems with them at all
hillbillyhtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #8

I put the exact same Goodrich ST230 315/80R22.5 on my steer axle. So far been happy and no issues. Lot better price than Michelins for sure.

The old Firestone tire problem was a specific tire (721 radial) that was for cars, not a truck tire.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The Goodyear's with the issues were the 22.5" "G" series tires. They had issues with uneven trad wear called rivering where the outer edges wore faster then the rest of the tire and wore in a wavey pattern.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote