Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #1

Tire Questions

First RV (98' HRE 37') and looking to replace the 6ea. 235/80R22.5 XRV tires so a couple questions.
- Is this the only size that will fit and I want a good load rating
- Have read a lot of on line comments and not sold on needing brand name, so saying that, the leading brand names seem to have a decent higher price than other name brands so any experiences with other brands is appreciated.
- Traveling full time so who to order from or where to go, also have read that ordering on line you can get new tires that can be a couple years old so how do you deal with that.
All responses are appreciated,
Jim & Diane 98' HRE 37'
jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used the FMCA Advantage tire program. My front and tag tires are 365/70 and only Michelin makes that size.
They now offer Continental through the same program.
There are good tires available but you may need to go with a different size.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
- Is this the only size that will fit and I want a good load rating
No, but why change sizes. Along with size make sure you get the right load rating. You can go up in load rating but maybe they'll ride rougher.
- Have read a lot of on line comments and not sold on needing brand name, so saying that, the leading brand names seem to have a decent higher price than other name brands so any experiences with other brands is appreciated.
I have Hercules H-902 22.5 on my 40'DP and love them. 3.5 years and 15,000 miles later = no regrets. These boys don't lose a puff of air!
- Traveling full time so who to order from or where to go, also have read that ordering on line you can get new tires that can be a couple years old so how do you deal with that.
I ordered my tires from SimpleTire.com after questioning the local tire shops for the best instalation price. Then I had SimpleTire ship to the winner, Les Schwab in my case. I spoke on the phone with some guy at SimpleTire.com and informed his I must have recent tires and he said their turnover is so high that's all they have. Mine were week 29 (mid July) when they arrived in September, about week 37. From order to install was about 2 weeks with normal shipping.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

I shopped for over three months for new tires on my coach (275/80R 22.5 Michelin XRE Load rating H) and considered other brands but NOT other sizes. The general drift I received was that the coach was designed with a specific size and one should stick to it.

In looking at other brands the price, for a name brand tire, was not significantly different. I looked at tires via the FMCA program but they were over $100 more per tire than I could purchase locally (Las Vegas, NV). I purchased the Michelin tires after talking with many other owners at my local Military RV Park who all seemed to feel the Michelin was the best tire. A number of owners, and I personally agree with this, said that when you own an RV valued over $200k then scrimping on tires was silly.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1ll View Post
I shopped for over three months for new tires on my coach (275/80R 22.5 Michelin XRE Load rating H) and considered other brands but NOT other sizes. The general drift I received was that the coach was designed with a specific size and one should stick to it.

In looking at other brands the price, for a name brand tire, was not significantly different. I looked at tires via the FMCA program but they were over $100 more per tire than I could purchase locally (Las Vegas, NV). I purchased the Michelin tires after talking with many other owners at my local Military RV Park who all seemed to feel the Michelin was the best tire. A number of owners, and I personally agree with this, said that when you own an RV valued over $200k then scrimping on tires was silly.
So you got Michelin tires cheaper than FMCA? I was considering joining solely for that purpose. How were you able to do this?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

I went to Discount Tire where I had purchased car tires on the “off chance” they could order the tires I wanted and what would it cost. FMCA quoted $589 plus FET per tire and Discount quoted $474 plus FET. My Discount Tire Store even had arrangements with an installer (commercial truck tire installer) who came to my storage location for a $45 service call and $20 per tire to install.

I’d recommend visiting, or calling, all the tire stores in your area and seeing what they charge. My tires had to be ordered, had a DOT date five months prior to the date received, and arrived in two days, included balancing beads, and took about two hours to complete the work. I know some people have different feelings about the beads as to whether they are needed or do anything. Some say that Michelin makes a tire you don’t need to balance. I’ve now driven mine about 100 miles, at speeds up to 70 MPH, with no balance issues. It “seems” the ride is better too but I’m merely speculating. Overall I couldn’t be happier with the price, service, and performance.

Good luck.[emoji1303]
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #7

Call Jeff Phillips @ commercial tire in LA. Was worth it to me. I bought 6 108R Yokohama's for my rig Jan 2017. About $1000 less out the door than any other place within 500 miles of San Diego. And all were Spin Balanced. No beads.. I all my research last year, very few places can spin balance the 22.5" rim'd tires. I had the work done on a Saturday morning so I didn't need to sit in traffic. 14k miles later I am a happy camper! PS. Make sure you get one piece inner dual valve stems. Do not let them put on extenders. If your extenders do not leak, you should play the lottery!
Unfortunately I did not know that at the time.

jeff@commercialtireco.com (323) 638-7110

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
235/80R22.5 is a Michelin size. Equivalent size is 245/75R22.5, however , the 275/70R22.5 is also close. There are various tire size conversion tools online.

Do ensure you get the same load rating as current tires - if the tires are orginal to the coach. If not original they may be incorrect load rsting - so you need to validate what is correct. Its not uncommon for a tire dealer to put a lessor load rated tire on.

Talk to your tire shop about the date. Accept nothing older than 6 months. Newer the better. A good shop will work to get you the freshest tires. The date is in the DOT code on the tire. Google how to read it.

I replaced orginal sux Michelin tires on our coach last year with Firestone FS591 tires. Over $1000 cheaper than Michelin. I am very satisfied after about 15k miles on them. Zero issues. Ride and handling no difference than the Michelins.

Toyo, Hankook, etc. I also considered. Any if which would have been entirely satisfactory as well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great suggestions. We're headed to the northwest this summer so we hope to get it done in Oregon. No sales tax (unless someone knows a reason we shouldn't go there).
Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #10

How often should the tires be changed, I have a 09 41' Forest River with low mileage. No ware or problems noted but I'm planning a trip and a blowout is not a good thing. Could the two front be changed and keep the original tires for spares if needed?
Bob jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob jordan View Post
How often should the tires be changed, I have a 09 41' Forest River with low mileage. No ware or problems noted but I'm planning a trip and a blowout is not a good thing. Could the two front be changed and keep the original tires for spares if needed?
Do a search. Most will recommend replacing the tires in seven years regardless of wear. Others say to have them dismounted and inspected after six years. Michelin says to inspect after 5-6 years and replace after ten. Take your pick. A friend living in desert heat replaces every five years. Yours are on borrowed time.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #12

Your tires are the same as my original size. The 245/75-22.5 is basically the same size and opens up a lot of regional truck tires that are available. I am getting ready to install Goodyear Endurance RSA tires next month. If you belong to FMCA, you can get a good discount on Goodyear tires.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #13

as mentioned there are many sizes to sub for some, not all.. seems Michelin does this on purpose to get business. and I think THe General Tires are as good as any.. made in USA and invented many things that others followed. make sure you look at OTR not regional or local style of tires.. if you don't know what i mean then go on Generals site to explain..
now what company made the many and most advancements in early yrs??? General tire..
look at this site for there contribution to the industry.. About General Tire | General Tire ,
"An important boost for the company’s growing truck tire business came in 1934 when an agreement placed General Tire on International Harvester’s approved original equipment list. By 1937, General Tire was on the OE list of all major truck manufacturers, providing an entrée by General Tire dealers for replacement and retreading sales."
and then this..
Engineering and Technological Innovation
In many important ways, General Tire scientists enlarged the state of the art in the rubber industry. They solved a 40-year industry problem with the 1943 discovery of the carbon black latex-mixing masterbatch principle, and the 1949 invention of oil-extended rubber – a synthetic rubber ten-strike, which was patented in 1960. Their Gen-Tac adhesive was the answer for tire cord, and they were awarded patents for Nygen tire fabric, radial tire building machines, and a method (and machine) for improving performance characteristics of pneumatic tires. Along with its growth in the tire business, General Tire also branched into business areas beyond tires, including aerospace and defenses, entertainment and broadcasting, chemicals/plastics and industrial products.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #14

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I have some tire questions as well. We are looking at used DP with 2012 tires on it.

1. Should these be replaced now, or can I get another year out of them?
2. Is there anything wrong with replacing just the drive tires right now, then the other four drive tires in a year?
3. Can I replace the front drive tires with a different brand so long as they are the same size (11R22.5)?

Due to schedule, I'm going to need to have the tires installed on a Saturday, which leaves me very few options. There is a Love's truck stop very close to where the RV is. Would any of you have issues with Love's mounting and balancing?

I will be pulling off straight from, most likely, getting the tires mounted and balanced and making a 12 hour hike back home. Nothing like 800 miles to learn the ropes

Any insight and advice is appreciated. This is our first RV, so I want to set myself up for success. Thanks in advance.
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote