Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

Tire Recommendations?

I hope I'm not beating this subject to death but I'm going to put a pair on the front of my Freightliner DP. I'm a Michelin Advantage member but not limiting myself to the brand. I'll buy what I think are the best for my rig.

By the way, I have AL wheels. I trust they have machines that won't gouge them. Am I correct? Also balancing is a must.

Recommendations my friends.

60Vette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had good luck with my Good Years, last coach we had Toyo's they were less expensive and road a little rougher but all in all were ok. Haven't used the Michelins, however have seen a few negative posts on side wall cracks that Michelin will NOT warranty. I'm sure there will be other entries as everyone has an opinion on tires!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure of your tire size but I just replaced my steer tires that were 295/80/22.5 Michelins. I used the Advantage program and replaced my 295's with 315's. I can say after about 1000 miles I have noticed a marked improvement in ride and handling. Plus the 315's were 45 bucks cheaper than the 295's. Unless I'm reading the load chart wrong, the 295's had an H load rating and the 315's have load rating J. But I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong lol.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having had multiple sets and good luck with all I am a fan of Michelin XRV. Last I bought via the FMCA discount program. Good price and Authorized Michelin truck dealer who was very knowing of motorhome.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Recently had 6 michelinXZA2 Energy tires installed with the Equal sand balancing system. Very nice ride compared to my goodyears with 23000 miles on them, but they should be for new tires!

AL wheels as well, they didn't use a machine to remove/mount tires, used tire irons by hand.
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I had Toyo's then replaced them with Goodyear G670s and now Michelin's.

The Toyo was a good tire, no problems. I wouldn't have a set of Goodyears even if you gave them to me. The Michelin's have been a good tire so far.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #7

Hankooks!

Quiet, smooth ride, competitively priced.

I look at the tires on the coaches at our storage facility, Michelins almost all have sidewall cracks, Goodyears most have river wear....some really severe (I had river wear before I replaced with Hankooks last year).

My 2 cents.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The chassis manufacture fitted your MH with a tire the correct size and load range. If you were happy with them and they performed well for you, then replace them in kind.

You will kick yourself, if you change brands or model and they don't live up to your expectations.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #9

Guys, you're not making this easy.

First of all Clay you look like Jethro Gibbs.

Former, The Hell's river wear?

MG: As tire technology evolves perhaps it is not a bad idea to see if there is some improvement over 11 Year old engineering. My coach is a 2002.
Plus most manufacturers, not withstanding the million dollar rigs, most likely install the tires they get the best bulk deal on.

I want a smooth ride. She rides damned fine as it is but I'll buy the tires that give the smoothest ride. The trouble is everyone has the Ford versus Chevy mindset with their tires. And brand loyalty is fine as long as the facts bear it out. I don't want to make a mistake because I won't be buying them twice if I screw up.

Is there a site where they evaluate RV tires? Like Consumer Reports?

Thank you for taking the time to respond guys. I really appreciate it.

60Vette
Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #10

Most of the time you only read the complaints about the product, rarely one reads positive posts. Come time for me to replace my Goodyear tires, I'll make a decision then. Meantime reading past tire threads must suffice. One thing I plan to do is search the internet for lawyers websites soliciting customers for class-action suits for defective truck/MH tires. The brands absent will make my list of prospective MH tires.
I am quite happy with the Goodyears, but brand loyalty is not my way. I've read of Michelin tire failures, sidewall cracks. Goodyear "rivering"/abnormal tread wear.
One thing I will keep in mind is longevity. MH specific tires are formulated differently than truck tires because they must withstand longer periods of un-use, vs truck tires that must offer mileage over virtually constant use.
I realize all the above does not answer your questions, but perhaps my perspective helps.

Oops, I forgot. Goodyear "rivering" threads (with pics) may be accessed using the search feature at page top.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had really good luck with Michelin tires across the board from trucks and the last MH and 5r good wear and no balancing issues ! Jm2c
Old 11-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #12

I've had Toyo, Bridgestone, Goodyear, now Michelin. My choice, Michelin. Noticeably better ride and wear. Also, I did not choose the XRV, opting instead for the XZE2 steer tire. I had them balanced and also coughed up the dough for an alignment, something I heartily recommend for the $200.
Though many RV owners seldom "wear out" tires, I do. We are full-timers because of our work situation. I am not impressed with Goodyear 11R22.5 mileage. Though better than Goodyear (in my estimation), the Toyos and Bridgestones will not be my first choice again either.
Also, do not get Kelly steer tires for your RV. According to the dealer who adjusted my blowout after 80 miles, he won't even carry them. Kelly drivers and trailer tires are far superior, but not best for steer application. Hope this helps some.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
I hope I'm not beating this subject to death but I'm going to put a pair on the front of my Freightliner DP. I'm a Michelin Advantage member but not limiting myself to the brand. I'll buy what I think are the best for my rig.

By the way, I have AL wheels. I trust they have machines that won't gouge them. Am I correct? Also balancing is a must.

Recommendations my friends.

60Vette
Vette I am in your position reading every post about tires trying to make a good decision, but I don't want to step on fellow RVer but I don't think most of us drive enough different tires to make a true evaluation I think you need to talk to over the road truck drivers who ware out tires frequently to get true opinions on brands. Again I said MOST not all so don't jump on this opinion.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
I hope I'm not beating this subject to death but I'm going to put a pair on the front of my Freightliner DP. I'm a Michelin Advantage member but not limiting myself to the brand. I'll buy what I think are the best for my rig. By the way, I have AL wheels. I trust they have machines that won't gouge them. Am I correct? Also balancing is a must. Recommendations my friends. 60Vette
You will find many brand loyal and brand hater opinions with your question. The hard facts of the problem are that motorhomes are such a tiny segment of the tire market that you won't find any testing aimed specifically at us. Regardless of marketing, our tires were designed as truck tires because that's where the market is.

I have searched and researched tires and have come to the conclusion that if you stick with one of the well known brands with national distribution then you will do fine. Most tires in motorhome service are designed as highway or regional service with an "all position" designation. My coach had Goodyear tires OEM and now has Michelin steer tires and Bridgestone drive and tag tires.

Go to the web sites of the brands you are interested in and do a search for your size and load range. When you narrow it down to a few specific tires, call around & see what's available. The Michelin Advantage program gets the Michelin's down to a price level that they are very attractive.

Limit your search to commercial truck tire dealers as they have the equipment and knowledge to handle these sizes.

Safe travels.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote