Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken326 View Post
I just bought Newmar Mountain Air and it has steer tires all the way around. Is that normal?
Yes

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #30

The steer tires have been clipped!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Steer tires are also known as All Position. They can be used on any axle. There are also Drive and Trailer tires..
Old 10-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
Just got 6 Michelins throught the FMCA/Michelin program. Pricing is on the FMCA website. 235 80R 22.5 XRV for $378.52 plus mounting, balancing, stems and disposal fee ($409.91)

Go on FMCA website and get the charge to number. Call Michelin and register your credit card with them. You will need to supply FMCA member number with expiration date.

Find authorized Michelin dealer in your area, give them all the info and they will invoice Michelin who will then charge your CC with the net amount. I saved almost $550 on the total.

Happy Trails!

Darryl

I did the same thing. Saved around 400 on my 19.5s
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

Interested in concerns about long term concrete storage on tires - what are the effects and what can be done about it? I have a completely enclosed shop with a concrete floor - it's dry all the time. I settle my jacks onto wooden pads to relieve some of the weight on the tires, but not the entire weight of the coach. What can I do to treat my tires better? Thanks!

Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I looked at non RV tires in the Michelin line and other lines the past 11 months.

Talking to Michelin, the XRV tires are specifically designed for RV use, which includes lots of sitting and sun. In addition, the XRV is the only Michelin tire that has increased ozone resistance which should provide longer weathering resistance as well. Truck tires are not designed to sit as much as RV tires do so I think there may be issues related to buying truck tires that are not designed for RV use.

Despite Michelin's warranty no longer covers checking and cracking, I finally did decide after pricing every name brand in the universe that I will buy the XRV Michelin in my Load Range, which is F, or 12 ply rating.

Also, I am able to report the FMCA/Michelin program saved me about 70.00 each best pricing I found was around 420 each, FMAC/Michelin was 352 each).

Had I not had the FMCA/Micheline pricing, I probably would have went with the Sumitomos at around 300 each. I've heard lots of good reports about the Sumis, but they are not specifically designed for RV applications, which is not a problem as long as they get exercised often, covered, and separated from long term concrete storage. Oh, not to mention, proper alignment, balance, pressure, etc. etc. etc. which is of course, for all tires.......

Old 11-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #34
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroaming View Post
Interested in concerns about long term concrete storage on tires - what are the effects and what can be done about it? I have a completely enclosed shop with a concrete floor - it's dry all the time. I settle my jacks onto wooden pads to relieve some of the weight on the tires, but not the entire weight of the coach. What can I do to treat my tires better? Thanks! Denny
We use a plastic sheet material called Star Board to separate the tire from the concrete. It's similar to the material used in a plastic cutting board. There's nothing real special about what we use it was just what I already had.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
We use a plastic sheet material called Star Board to separate the tire from the concrete. It's similar to the material used in a plastic cutting board. There's nothing real special about what we use it was just what I already had.
Any plastic material will help prevent the oils in the tire's rubber compound from being leached out by the concrete. I use some plastic backed carpet runners. Like the man says, its what I had.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

Thanks much for the information - great stuff!

Denny
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroaming View Post
Interested in concerns about long term concrete storage on tires - what are the effects and what can be done about it? I have a completely enclosed shop with a concrete floor - it's dry all the time. I settle my jacks onto wooden pads to relieve some of the weight on the tires, but not the entire weight of the coach. What can I do to treat my tires better? Thanks!

Denny
Denny, plywood, or you can go to Walmart and buy some office chair mats, the rubber mats keep the concrete from leaching of the tires. Dear friends have 4 of those plastic/rubber mats down on their concrete right where the tires go, and they actually stay in place so they park in the same spot each time.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #38

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow! What a difference!

I replaced my four rear tires with new XRV a couple of weeks ago. Last Friday, I took the coach to a little resort community east of Dallas about 90 miles, round trip was about 200 miles. That was the first trip out on the new 'shoes' The old tires were 44,000 mile Goodyear G670RV, original tires, and I thought were in excellent condition. But not when I took the new tires out!

Amazing differences!

1) Squirm: cut down so greatly that I could classify it as negligible.

2) Road noise: greatly reduced, incredible and marked quieter ride

3) Driveability/Handling: so much easier to manage the driving, no oversteering required.

4) Rattling and shaky ride: Almost non-existent.

I was blown away at how different these new tires would make the coach ride/drive/perform. I am ecstatic! So nice! So pleased!

The front tires are a higher load range, but are new and only have 4,000 miles on them, so I'll not be replacing them for another couple of years, but I am so impressed with the four new XRVs on the back that I had to share my elation!

Now if I get the CHF done, I'll be set for 2013's longer trips!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #39

I just put six Sumitomos on my m/h and put about 1,000 miles on them. Went from original Michelin 255X80R x 22.5 to 275X70RX22.5. No comparison. Better ride, better handling and about $225 a tire less, plus up one load range.

I'm happy and so is my wallet. I had Equal put in the fronts and works greatl
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I replaced my four rear tires with new XRV a couple of weeks ago. Last Friday, I took the coach to a little resort community east of Dallas about 90 miles, round trip was about 200 miles. That was the first trip out on the new 'shoes' The old tires were 44,000 mile Goodyear G670RV, original tires, and I thought were in excellent condition. But not when I took the new tires out!

Amazing differences!

1) Squirm: cut down so greatly that I could classify it as negligible.

2) Road noise: greatly reduced, incredible and marked quieter ride

3) Driveability/Handling: so much easier to manage the driving, no oversteering required.

4) Rattling and shaky ride: Almost non-existent.

I was blown away at how different these new tires would make the coach ride/drive/perform. I am ecstatic! So nice! So pleased!

The front tires are a higher load range, but are new and only have 4,000 miles on them, so I'll not be replacing them for another couple of years, but I am so impressed with the four new XRVs on the back that I had to share my elation!

Now if I get the CHF done, I'll be set for 2013's longer trips!

Ya.. New tires will do that
Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought the Michelins for two reasons. Reputation and World wide service. FMCA discount was terrific but we would of purchased them anyway. XZA3 ride good, good grip on wet or dry pavement. Had a chinesse brand and had problems while traveling. couldn't get find anyone who carried that brand except in major metropolitan areas. Course we were way out in West Texas. Never again. We can get service for Michelin anywere in the USA, either from a dealer or Michelin. Here is a case where Service after the Sale is as important as the purchase itself. ed
Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put the michelins on as well it was a hard decision as my original michelins had only 6800 miles on them without any sidewall cracks at all, but were 9 years old! I figured if the factory uses them I should too. I also used the FMCA discount saving about $400. Just got back from a 1000 mile trip thru the desert and felt more at ease with the new shoes!