RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Tire replacement

Good evening

I am looking for tires for a 40' phaeton motorhome.

My first coach and my tires need to be changed. I am not familiar with tires.

I am looking at firestone FS 561 14P. OR

Kelly tire G KLY Armorstl KRH SBLTL

Both are 295/75R/22.5.

Any help is appreciated

Robert

robblan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #2

I have a 2010 Phaeton 40í and just purchased Michelin 275/80R 22.5 XZE load rating H. Got them from DISCOUNT TIRE (many locations around the country). I joined FMCA for the tire discount but DISCOUNT TIRE was about $115 cheaper per tire and my price included all taxes (FET too) and a mobile installer who came to me for mounting and balancing. I have about 4,000 miles on them since April 2018 with zero issues. Ride is good, no balance problems, etc.

Mr B1LL at the iRV2 Rally in Pahrump, NV just outside Las Vegas

Mrb1ll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #3

www.tacomaworld.com/

http://www.michelintruck.com/assets/...ok_Jan2007.pdf

THIS MAY HELP YOU SOME
Old 09-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robblan View Post
Good evening

Both are 295/75R/22.5.

Any help is appreciated

Robert
Both companies have good reputations and their tires should be fine. Neither one has been mentioned very often, but any of the well known tires on the market will perform satisfactorily in most applications. Some think Michelin is the best, but I think they are overpriced even with the FMCA discount. I went with Toyo, but could have been ok with Kelly, Firestone, Bridgestone or General too. Pick whatever you and your dealer think is best for your coach. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Just get one with a load range rated above your heaviest load.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

Check out Sailun truck tires while making comparisons, in 295/75R22.5.
Prior to buying new MH tires I walked through several truck stops and noted tire brands on steer axles, Sailun is becoming widespread as the brand becomes known and built a solid reputation for reliability.
If you read the FMCA tire website, note it cautions readers to compare pricing with/without the discount, as sometimes a better buy is without the discount.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have had the Kelly Armorsteel 295/75R22.5 tires on my drive axles for about 1-1/2 years and have been quite pleased with them. I have fairly new Toyo M170s (same size) on my steer axle - so far so good.
Smhutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #7

I am running the Firestone 560's on the front and Firestone 561's on the rear. I have about 40,000 miles on the fronts and about 20,000 miles on the rears. Very happy with the tires. Very quiet and a big improvement over the original Goodyears. You should be fine if you decide to go with the Firestone's.
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Both are 295/75R/22.5.

Is that the original size, as shown on the federal tire safety placard by the driver seat? If so, both of those should be fine, assuming the same load range as your originals. Those are both mid-tier brands, neither the cheapest nor the best known, but solid performers.

"Load Range" (LR) and "Ply Rating" are two different ways of stating the tire weight carrying capacity. Load Range (LR) "G" is the same as Ply Rating "14", LR H is the same as Ply 16, etc.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #9

Tire quandry

So I just got this coach, 2011 Vesta 275/70R22.5 Goodyears knew they are 10 years old, coach is a 2011 so they sat for a little while, 10000 miles, plastic still on carpet, no ozone cracking, don't bounce, hold air. Tons of tread. Replace them.......?
Big Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dreamer View Post
So I just got this coach, 2011 Vesta 275/70R22.5 Goodyears knew they are 10 years old, coach is a 2011 so they sat for a little while, 10000 miles, plastic still on carpet, no ozone cracking, don't bounce, hold air. Tons of tread. Replace them.......?
Depends on how much you want to risk the safety of yourself and family. Then there is the potential damage to the coach from a blowout. 10 year old tires need to be replaced, especially if they have been sitting for years with little use.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #11

I just ordered a set of Advance GL283A 12 ply rated tires. I ordered them online for a great price and free shipping. They are scheduled to arrive Tuesday.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dreamer View Post
I don't know.

If you buy six new tires you don't know if one of them has a defect so you are taking a risk there also.

Years ago the answer would be yes but tires then sitting for a long while would feel like you were riding on a washboard.

With the newer materials used I would not be inclined to replace the tires if they felt ok when riding but I would watch them closely for any sign of cracking and tread separation.

You run a risk either way as I said. Some years ago I bought a new car with Michelin tires and all four had tread separation until the tread came off just like a re cap. All four failed before they had 20,000 miles on them.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robblan View Post
Good evening

Both are 295/75R/22.5.

Any help is appreciated

Robert
I think you may have a problem. You stated that the Firestone tires are 14 ply which would be load range G. My Phaeton requires 16 ply load range H to handle the front axle rating of 14000 lbs. Even then not all load range H tires are useable since many have a single tire weight rating of 6610 lbs which is not enough for the front axle. You need to make sure the tires have a single tire load rating of 7160 lbs. to handle the front axle load rating.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased Firestones in load range H three years ago and have never regretted it. Now have about 15K on them and the handling and ride is better than the original Goodyears that came with the coach.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement