Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
RU499, as an ASE Master Technician I would strongly recommend that you lower the tire pressures to the recommended pressure or to the pressure weight table recommendations. The tire pressure will increase quite a bit when the tire gets hot and you will be severely overinflated. Please google Motorhome tire inflation. You are putting yourself and others at risk. You have been very lucky If you have a 10y/o tire with max pressure and haven’t had a problem.
X2!!!
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #86

This topic has been discussed alot. I run my tires until they wear out or until the physical condition of the tire tells me to replace it.
Never had a blowout. Over 50 years of driving. 20 years class A RVing.
I don't expect to change things.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
This topic has been discussed alot. I run my tires until they wear out or until the physical condition of the tire tells me to replace it.
Never had a blowout. Over 50 years of driving. 20 years class A RVing.
I don't expect to change things.
You're right, it has. And it will keep coming up, over and over, and each time it does, everyone will expound on how and why (sometimes) they do things as they do, and no one will change their mind based on any of it. It's a waste of time, really, is what it amounts to.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #88

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fottip View Post
Ok, you're the "engineer". I lost a front tire on a 40' Class A at 70mph at about 7-8 years of age. How 'bout some real-world "rubber-on-the-road" experience?

The blowout resulted in repairs costing over $7K and several months downtime, and these were name brand, major market tires, not some Asian-knockoffs. I learned a hard lesson from that experience, one that taught me that trying to extend the life of RV tires to "10 years", or some such fantasy time period, is false economy at best, and any advice to try to keep them in service that long is inviting expensive trouble.

YOU run them 10 years. I run them 5 - not a day more. YMMV

And good luck with that.
The 10 year figure is the max age for RV use. A closer read of mypost should make it clear that there are many reasons to replace sooner than 10 years but no matter what they look like they should be replaced after 10 years of service.

Was your "Blowout" a sidewall run low flex failure or was it a belt separation as covered in THIS post?

Didn't your TPMS provide a warning of your "Blowout"? Why not?
Checking the air in a campground each morning tells you nothing about the pressure 10 or 100 miles down the road. It is relatively easy to fail a tire in just a few miles. A TPMS is much like an engine oil pressure or water temperature gauge. You could check the oil and water each morning and do away with the dash gauges too but I would not want to do that.

70 mph is a bit fast for a large Class-A, especially since there is a clear stated 75 mph max for RV application.
Just because you can doesn'tmean you should.

Anyway gald to hear you are OK.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement