RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire Replacement Recommendations

I have Michelin 255/80R 22.5 tires; DOT code "5013"; mileage about 27K. No evidence of any sidewall cracking and tires have been covered when parked more than a week or so.

Would you run these tires for another year? Longer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #2

Michelin has recommendations on tires and you can check on their site. I'm sure I will have comments on my tire use but here is what I did with the same tires you have...they were 2013 tires and they had abou 20,000 miles on them and were 13 years old when I replaced them. They had no cracks and when removed looked new inside and out. I'm not making any recommendations just telling you what I did
RV was stored inside all of its life.

04georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04georgieboy View Post
they were 2013 tires and they had abou 20,000 miles on them and were 13 years old when I replaced them.
How can this possibly be true?

Any how, to the OP, Have the tires inspected. Michelin information says that you can run them for 10 years in well maintained, and inspected in the out years.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
How can this possibly be true?

Any how, to the OP, Have the tires inspected. Michelin information says that you can run them for 10 years in well maintained, and inspected in the out years.
It must be that New Math.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04georgieboy View Post
Michelin has recommendations on tires and you can check on their site. I'm sure I will have comments on my tire use but here is what I did with the same tires you have...they were 2013 tires and they had abou 20,000 miles on them and were 13 years old when I replaced them. They had no cracks and when removed looked new inside and out. I'm not making any recommendations just telling you what I did
RV was stored inside all of its life.
Oops, Sorry, they were 2003 tires
04georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #6

I was told by local tire company that Michelins were more apt to crack between the treads than side walls, might want to take another look.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I was told by local tire company that Michelins were more apt to crack between the treads than side walls, might want to take another look.
Well Sir,
I, along with many, many others on here and other RV forums have all experienced the infamous "sidewall cracking" of Michelin tires. Mine were only 6 years old and, had been INSIDE an RV garage for their entire life, when we weren't using the coach. I didn't care what Michelin states, it's mine an my wife's life that we were talking about. I did about a days worth of research can came up with completely satisfactory replacements. The Yokohama RY-103 265 75 22.5 LRG tires that run down the road flawlessly. The coach rides perfect, no wandering, no issues whatsoever and, I got the whole package for around $2,200. CONSIDERABLY less than the proprietary Michelin 255s. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. There's a whole bunch of happy guys on here that have switched from the Junk Michelins to other brands. It's a matter of choice., AND MONEY!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I liked our Michelins, we never had a problem with them and I ran with them for 11 years. Michelin recommends 10 years if you take care of them. When I replaced the Michelins they still looked good, but I knew we were going to be going on some longer trips so I changed them. Went with Coopers for the replacements. Same 10 life rating that Michelin has but for about 1/2 as much.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 AM   #9

Ahhhh....you can spend hours reading the debates on tires, Michelin quality or lack of, and worthy replacements. There's no definitive answer and you just have to decide what makes you comfortable and seems to be in the best interest of safety. I'm in the camp of replacing tires after 6-7 years, and that's with my MH being stored inside when not on the road. But...I am a rookie when it comes to motorhomes. But a followed that procedure with the 3 pop up trailers and 2 travel trailers we owned and never had a major tire failure. Matter of fact, on our 2014 Minnie, I replaced the China specials with Maxxis tires after two years and before heading out on a major trip out west.

We bought our Bay Star last spring and it had the original Goodyear tires. I replaced them last summer with Toyos as I didn't want to take any chances.

But....in the end, you have to decide what works for you!

Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement