Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
George Schweikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,201
I have a friend who had the same situation with a new Winnebago. He had a severe vibration that no one really wanted to address, but the mere mention of a lemon law filing brought the dealer, Ford, and Goodyear into the resolution process.

However, your situation seems to already have every suppliers attention. I'm mentioning my friend's situation because it took an in depth investigation to find that his rig had wheels where the bolt circle was not drilled properly concentric with the rim. Ford knew of this, but originally claimed this condition was only in an earlier range of serial numbers. I mention the bolt circle issue since your narrative doesn't mention changing wheels. Have the rims been checked for runout / concentricity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
...We bought a new 35' Pace Arrow in 1999 that gave a white knuckle ride that was so bad we almost stopped travelling in it. The Ford dealer was ready to throw up their hands and say we just had to live with it.
I filed a Lemon Law complaint and it seems like the whole Ford world suddenly came awake....I don't know if that helps but you may want to look at the Lemon Law regs for your state. In my case it sure got their attention.
__________________

__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Dave-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 423
John and George:

With regards to the Lemon Law, I have resorted to hiring a Lemon Law Firm and they are in negotiations with Ford - I retained them when Ford accused me of "trying to get out from under a motorhome" that we paid cash for, and never called me back as promised (long story on trying to resolve the issue, but everyone has tried, just no-one can solve it, it's a chassis issue, so it's Ford's liability).

Goodyear had suggested the Wingfoot store road-force the rims before mounting and road-forcing the tires. Everything was supposedly well within spec.

I'm curious about the tire brand issue as I've heard the story several times now of tire brands being changed with a miraculous change in ride and elimination of vibration issues.

I've had the swapping out the wheels and tires offer from a friend on the forum here. I'm too far away and Ford should be able to solve this - they've had issues like this over the years and should have a diagnostic procedure to find out what it is. So far it's just trial and error, it seems. 9 visits to 5 different venues (including 3 different Ford Dealers). I'm still wondering, since I put Centrimatics on and the driveshafts were all rebalanced, if this isn't an out-of-round issue....
__________________

__________________
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA
2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ Toad
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 207
I filed the Lemon Law complaint on my own and thought the final outcome was satisfactory for us. I'm guilty of having a real OCD when it comes to things like that. Ford drug their feet for the first required response and almost missed the deadline but I guess they finally saw I was serious. Their communication increased dramatically after the specialist arrived.
There are well defined time limits regarding the law. A professional company should be able to help you a lot.
Please keep us updated as the process moves along. I'm sure there are many more interested in the final outcome.
__________________
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
George Schweikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,201
Dave-Oh, it sounds like you have tried almost everything. Hope you finally get results. And, just for my information; what is "Road-Forcing" a rim or tire?. Is this another term for checking for out-of-round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
...Goodyear had suggested the Wingfoot store road-force the rims before mounting and road-forcing the tires. Everything was supposedly well within spec...
__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 9,313
"Dave-Oh"......I remembered a post about a similar situation a few years back. It had to do with the Ford rims. Here is the thread, read post #7. It may be a long shot, but I'm sure you're ready to find a fix.

Help......Extreme front end vibration
__________________
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Dave-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 423
Quote:
"Dave-Oh"......I remembered a post about a similar situation a few years back. It had to do with the Ford rims. Here is the thread, read post #7. It may be a long shot, but I'm sure you're ready to find a fix.
George, Thanks! I may try that as a last resort before I spring for a set of Michelins or Toyos.

Quote:
Dave-Oh, it sounds like you have tried almost everything. Hope you finally get results. And, just for my information; what is "Road-Forcing" a rim or tire?. Is this another term for checking for out-of-round?
Road-Forcing is, indeed a way of finding high-spots while balancing the wheels (machine puts 1000+ lbs of force on the tires while spinning them to determine if there are high spots that are out of spec. - Goodyear says you can do the rims without the tires to see if they are out of round -- you can then "clock" the tires to the rim by placing the high-spot on the tire opposite the high-spot on the wheel so each they cancel each other out.
__________________
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA
2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ Toad
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Dave-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 423
Quote:
"Dave-Oh"......I remembered a post about a similar situation a few years back. It had to do with the Ford rims. Here is the thread, read post #7. It may be a long shot, but I'm sure you're ready to find a fix.
George, Thanks! I may try that as a last resort before I spring for a set of Michelins or Toyos.

Quote:
Dave-Oh, it sounds like you have tried almost everything. Hope you finally get results. And, just for my information; what is "Road-Forcing" a rim or tire?. Is this another term for checking for out-of-round?
Road-Forcing is, indeed a way of finding high-spots while balancing the wheels (machine puts 1000+ lbs of force on the tires while spinning them to determine if there are high spots that are out of spec. - Goodyear says you can do the rims without the tires to see if they are out of round to see if the rims are the problem.
__________________
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA
2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ Toad
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Dave-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 423
speaking of high spots....

I think the radial run-out of the fronts are out-of-spec?

https://youtu.be/gf2HU3QaDRg
__________________
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA
2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ Toad
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
jharrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
I think the radial run-out of the fronts are out-of-spec?

https://youtu.be/gf2HU3QaDRg
Looks like runout probably from out of round tires, which would not be the first time reported here with Goodyears. Could be rims or issue with the hubs too, but most likely tires. I may have some of that too although the Centramatics hid much of it I want to get it over to a good tire shop to be sure.

I would do a frequency check with a smartphone app. If the vibration is around 10hz at highways speeds it's probably tires, if 40-50hz its driveshaft. Just an easy way to narrow down the issue yourself. A good tire shop would have a EVM and do the same thing to track it down.
__________________
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Dave-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Looks like runout probably from out of round tires, which would not be the first time reported here with Goodyears. Could be rims or issue with the hubs too, but most likely tires. I may have some of that too although the Centramatics hid much of it I want to get it over to a good tire shop to be sure.

I would do a frequency check with a smartphone app. If the vibration is around 10hz at highways speeds it's probably tires, if 40-50hz its driveshaft. Just an easy way to narrow down the issue yourself. A good tire shop would have a EVM and do the same thing to track it down.
jharrell, thanks.

I will confirm with a frequency check at some point. i AM running Centrimatics. I have been to 2 truck tire shops, 3 Ford dealers, the dealership, and a truck service center. Front tires changed, swapped, Driveshaft has been removed and rebalanced, king pins changed (defective from factory) tires road-forced with runout reported as .009 and .008 inches on the machine, so the hub centering or rims are the most likely issues, I'm thinking.....
__________________
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA
2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ Toad
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,713
Goodyear talks about lowering air pressure to obtain a softer ride.
"Tire pressure should never be reduced below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended levels to support load conditions in order to improve the ride quality of a vehicle. The difference in ride quality is not significant. When minimum inflation pressure requirements are not met, tire durability and optimum operation can be affected."

Excerpt from here: The Inflation Loading - Goodyear RV

Many tire mfgrs. recommend a "break-in" period of at least 100 miles, which often eliminates vibrations, weaving, etc. from new tires.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I have a friend who had the same situation with a new Winnebago. He had a severe vibration that no one really wanted to address, but the mere mention of a lemon law filing brought the dealer, Ford, and Goodyear into the resolution process.

However, your situation seems to already have every suppliers attention. I'm mentioning my friend's situation because it took an in depth investigation to find that his rig had wheels where the bolt circle was not drilled properly concentric with the rim. Ford knew of this, but originally claimed this condition was only in an earlier range of serial numbers. I mention the bolt circle issue since your narrative doesn't mention changing wheels. Have the rims been checked for runout / concentricity?
With the earlier issue with this Ford had a set of shims to properly center the wheels, They may have to dust them off again!
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Dave-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
With the earlier issue with this Ford had a set of shims to properly center the wheels, They may have to dust them off again!
Mr D,

This is why I am so miffed to a large degree - Ford has seen this before. Why can't they diagnose it? Should I really have to be buying DTI gauges, a vibration-App for my iPhone, Centrimatics and continually research other possible causes because they won't? Measuring runout on the vehicle takes about 2 minutes a wheel. At some point, shouldn't that have been done?

9 attempts. No significant improvement. Ford needs to learn from its own history and maybe hang on to experienced mechanics or SOMEthing.

The RV industry needs an enema.
__________________
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA
2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ Toad
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
jharrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Mr D,

This is why I am so miffed to a large degree - Ford has seen this before. Why can't they diagnose it? Should I really have to be buying DTI gauges, a vibration-App for my iPhone, Centrimatics and continually research other possible causes because they won't? Measuring runout on the vehicle takes about 2 minutes a wheel. At some point, shouldn't that have been done?

9 attempts. No significant improvement. Ford needs to learn from its own history and maybe hang on to experienced mechanics or SOMEthing.

The RV industry needs an enema.
Agree, in 2016 we buyers of RV's should not be dealing with wheels/tires/hubs that aren't round, this isn't new technology after all.

I do as much as I can myself to understand it better and maybe avoid the hassle of taking out to the proper dealer, but at least when I do I know when they are going the right direction or not. Still frustrating to deal with such a core issue as wheel balance in this day an age, should be a solved problem.
__________________

__________________
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire Safety Max1 Excel Owner's Forum 2 12-27-2015 04:10 PM
15" trailer tire issues wallypedal Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 15 06-06-2015 09:54 AM
What the Heck Happened to my Tire? VAParrothead MH-General Discussions & Problems 36 10-20-2014 12:34 AM
Tire Inflation on "Hot Road" Tireman9 iRV2.com General Discussion 2 10-13-2014 11:30 AM
A big THANK YOU for the tire monitors! dkperez 5th Wheel Discussion 15 04-30-2014 11:58 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.