Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2016, 07:07 AM   #1

Tire rotation

Was wandering around the RV lot last night and looking at tires on used DPs.
My wife brought up a good question; Do tires on an RV need to be rotated? I had no answer.
I guess the question is do you guys rotate and at what intervals?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I dont see how its cost effective myself. They generally require replacement due to age, not necessarily to some type of wear issue/tracking issue. Also, standard rotation on a NON RV just involves moving wheels and all. On an RV it would require dismount - remount - rebalance. Even doing it one time, would probably cost almost 25 percent the price of new tires.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

Think Jimmy has it right--but another issue is the need to keep the tires on each dual as evenly matched [diameter-wise] to each other as possible, to facilitate even weight distribution between the tires....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
One of the reasons that you do not rotate tires is that the inside dually wheels are usually steel rims. Aluminum wheels cannot be mounted on the inside dual position and I doubt that anyone wants steel rims in, lets say, the steer position. You would have to dismount and remount tires on four wheels to do this properly - and then rebalance all six tires. Nope, leave them where they are.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

I just rotated the tag tires to the steer position due to alignment wear on the steer tires. One has to dismount and remount from the wheels because after a few years the inside of the steer wheels are so dirty that they could not be cleaned up to be in a "dish in" position on the tag. The reverse is also the case with the tag wheels going to the "dish out" of the steer position. It's a pain in the b***.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #6

Just rotated mine while installing Centramatic Balancers on steer wheels. Steer tire to inside dual position, and inside duals to steer. All rims are steel, with SS wheel covers, so not sure why steel steer wheels would be a problem. Can you enlighten? Have I got a problem I don't recognize?
Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Michelin tires are now 5 years old. I used my depth gauge and checked tread depth on the outside & inside of each tire. Strangely the depth was even on all 6 tires Even the front. My alignment must be perfect. The shop told me not to waste the money rotating the tires as nothing would be gained.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Generally speaking heavy truck tires aren't rotated an any interval. As posted above, tires can be swapped around if a wear issue is caught early enough. But on a motorhome with aluminum wheels, it's cosmetic. Most do use steel wheels on inside duals and then you deal with cost to remount and balance them. Semi trucks and trailers run aluminum in and out for weight savings.

A good tire and chassis maintenance program is more essential to tire wear than rotation
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Aluminum wheels cannot be mounted on the inside dual position.
I see it everyday. It's all about why your running aluminum wheels. In the motorcoach it's cosmetic, in the trucking industry, it's weight savings.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisanJim View Post
Was wandering around the RV lot last night and looking at tires on used DPs.
My wife brought up a good question; Do tires on an RV need to be rotated? I had no answer.
I guess the question is do you guys rotate and at what intervals?
LisanJim
My coach is currently running on the 3rd set of 6 tires.... (which are now 5 years old).
None of the 3 sets have ever been "rotated".
Mel
'96 Safari, w/steel wheels and Centramitic wheel balancers. 146k miles
Old 08-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't rotate. Would only do so in the case of uneven tire wear, while correcting whatever suspension/steering issue caused the uneven wear.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Just rotated mine while installing Centramatic Balancers on steer wheels. Steer tire to inside dual position, and inside duals to steer. All rims are steel, with SS wheel covers, so not sure why steel steer wheels would be a problem. Can you enlighten? Have I got a problem I don't recognize?
I think what he is saying is that some coaches come with aluminum wheels on the steer, the outside duals and the tag positions and steel on the inside dual position. It wouldn't look too cool with the inside steel wheels mounted on the front without a stainless cover, which he would not have.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I see it everyday. It's all about why your running aluminum wheels. In the motorcoach it's cosmetic, in the trucking industry, it's weight savings.
Most of the wheel studs on motorhomes are not long enough to accommodate having 2 aluminum wheels due to the thickness of the aluminum wheel being alot thicker than the steel wheel.
On highway trucks the wheel studs are that much longer for that reason.
Just another way the m/h industry cuts corners on cost of building them, slanted in their favor.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Most of the wheel studs on motorhomes are not long enough to accommodate having 2 aluminum wheels due to the thickness of the aluminum wheel being alot thicker than the steel wheel.
On highway trucks the wheel studs are that much longer for that reason.
Just another way the m/h industry cuts corners on cost of building them, slanted in their favor.
i believe all country coaches are with all aluminum wheels, single or dual, in or out. mine is.

i don't rotate tires for the sake of even wear. but i do rotate 2 or 4 wheels every 4 years. why? there is a logic - my coach uses 6 tires; i change 2 or 4 at a time in an alternate schedule and new tires are ways go to front, the unmounted go to left-rear (partial rotation). this schedule will guarantee that the front tires are always less or equal to 4 year old to minimize the chance of blow out.

when the time for 4 new tires arrives, i'll move the old from right-rear to left-rear (partial rotation).