Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #1

Tire scalloping

Yikes! In the middle of our two week Oregon coast trip and noticed a funny feeling on the steering wheel. After getting setup in camp I looked at my front tires and the passenger one is showing scallops. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5737.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	253543

Shocks were replaced 2 or 3 years ago....so an alignment?

LT235/85R16

TIA

Oh, if alignment, we are at Fort Stevens near Astoria Oregon in case anyone knows of a good repair/alignment shop.

Also, can this wait or should I get this fixed ASAP? My gut tells me to fix now.

OH! I just thought of something!!! We are towing our first toad for the first time. The only thing I’ve noticed different from not towing is on roads that are “rolly polly” we porpoise a bit. I never noticed that prior to pulling the Sidekick.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #2

Yikes. So I read if the tires are scalloped on one side or the edge only its the camber. If the tire is scalloped, or cupped, across the face of the tread, like a "band" of bad wear, its related to suspension components (shocks, struts). Tire could be out of balance too.

I would replace now. Can't really see the entire tire. If it was my car I'd consider putting it off for awhile.

I'm thinking its alignment related but the tire has already worn in a way that replacement might be inevitable. Sorry.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Along with your 'porpoising', I'd say that tire shows signs of being out of balance and the shocks may be too weak to help keep the tire tread to the road surface. Alignment, in of it's own, will not cause scalloping...although excessive camber or toe in can speed the process up a bit when an out of balance condition/weak shocks exists.

I'd have the front end checked for loose/worn components, front shocks replaced and an alignment check. You could have the tires trued but if they are approaching their DOT 'age out' dates, then that's money down the drain. Those scallops are not going to go away even if the cause is corrected.

Tires are not perfectly round and AFAIK, can't be perfectly balanced, so good shocks are important. They not only dampen vertical motion, absorb road shock, but also help keep that tire tread in constant contact with the road's surface... A manufacturer's defect (slipped/separated belt, think lateral runout) could also be a possible cause that started the process. Good luck on the fix.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"TriMoot"....Once the tires scallop like that, there's no correcting them. They will continue to wear, even if the issue is repaired. Spots on a tire not making contact with the road, will scuff faster than they wear. Most likely an alignment issue on the outer edge.

Options.....If it's a fairly new tire and you want to save it, move it to the rear, resolve the issue, and put two tires from the rear back on the front. Or...buy two new tires for the front. If it's near the end of it's life, repair the issue and replace. That tire didn't develop that issue just during this trip. I would leave it alone, enjoy your trip and have the front end and tires checked when you get home.

Lastly, drive down through the center of Astoria, looking east, until you see a bow picker boat on a trailer in the center of a dirt lot. There will be a line of people there, Jump in line and wait for the best Fish and Chips you'll ever eat. Closed Sunday and Monday.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:37 AM   #5

If that is a good year tire may be normal.they even have a name of it . I think it is riveting not sure. Hate auto correct .
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

Happened to us twice; scalloped just on the outer edge. It was alignment with loose kingpins both times. Once tire was worse than yours and had to be replaced. At your level we were told it was safe to keep driving on, but DW didn't like the feel and so we replaced after getting home.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
38k miles on my Badyear G670 tires. Your scalloping is not even close to bad. Mine are almost warn down to the wear indicators between the treads.
Keep on trucking. Replace when really bad.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...ing-tire-wear/
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #9

Commercial Member

Once you have identified the cause (alignment or bad suspension part) you could move the 2 front tires to one side on the rear as a pair of duals as long as their measured OC is the same +/- 3/4"
Old 07-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The tire is bouncing or hopping, thus wearing in spots along the edge rather than continuously and uniformly. Could be alignment or could be worn/damaged components. (see the tire wear chart in spdracr39 post)

It will only get worse, so needs to have the root cause corrected. How soon? I would not delay a lot of miles cause the tire will soon be a throw-away.

Two of the best chassis/suspension shops in the PNW are near you, Eric's RV Performance Center in Sequim, WA, and Henderson's Line-up in Grants Pass, OR.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Once you have identified the cause (alignment or bad suspension part) you could move the 2 front tires to one side on the rear as a pair of duals as long as their measured OC is the same +/- 3/4"
Hi Roger, I'm assuming the OC was intended to be OD. This website differs on OD maximum difference: https://www.truckinginfo.com/154830/...-tires-at-once, then explains why OD is so important.
Which should I follow?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #12

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Hi Roger, I'm assuming the OC was intended to be OD. This website differs on OD maximum difference: https://www.truckinginfo.com/154830/...-tires-at-once, then explains why OD is so important.
Which should I follow?

OC Outside Circumference.

OD is essentially impossible to measure with out special tools, but yes some truck companies have the tools so that is what they use.

OC is more accurate measurement and can be done with tape measure. I have a blog posts on "Matching Duals" that has links to showing the process with tape measure.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
OH! I just thought of something!!! We are towing our first toad for the first time. The only thing I’ve noticed different from not towing is on roads that are “rolly polly” we porpoise a bit.
The fact that you are experiencing—porpoising—tells me your shocks are not doing their job and are either shot or under rated. This also—could be— contributing somewhat to your scalloping problem.

Are you towing 4 down or on a dolly?

If 4 down, this should not contribute at all to "porpoising" because there's no hitch weight or maybe some would call tongue weight. Porpoising is a shock issue. Just thinking out loud here...it would seem to me a dolly could possibly cause "some porpoising" in some conditions, because of weight on the hitch—but I have no experience with a dolly to say so definitively.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #14

Hey Folks! Thanks for all the input. Finally got back and am getting caught up on responding to all the post.

So 1st off: Dutch Star Don, Dang it! I didn't read this until we had already left Astoria. We did tour the Flavel House Museum which was great, and then ate downtown at Fulio's Italian restaurant. It rained the entire day so just walking around the area was great.

MarJoa: Yes, we're towing 4 down, and it's our 1st time, so I thought perhaps some of the porpoising was due to the rebound effect of the toad...??

Well, again I appreciate all the comments and help. I'm leaning towards worn or under rated shocks. I had them replaced 4/19/2016 with Monroe - 5507001 on the front and 5507002's on the back per Monroe's guide. Of course that's for a F53 chassis not necessarily for an RV.....wondering if THAT's the problem?...

Since Rexhall is no more, I wonder how I would find out exactly what I SHOULD have on the rig?

I will say the rig ran really great with a noticeable change right after I had the shocks replaced, but I haven't been feeling that way the last few times we were out last year. And since this was our 1st trip of the year AND with a new (to us) toad hard to know if they're still doing their job or not.

I think I will take it back to where I had them put on and have them check out the front end, and perhaps verify if the shocks are the right ones as well as if they are still working properly.

But, it'll probably have to wait for a bit as we just sold the house (while we were on vacation) and now it's time to find a new home. We have to be out at the end of August so we might be living in the RV for a bit while we track down a new single level house (our knees just ain't what they used to be!).

Thanks again for all the help and ideas. Hopefully I can get back and post the resolution before this thread times out.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote