Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tire sealant

Does anybody use a tire sealant? Is there a balance problem using this.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivere2 View Post
Thanks
If you have a warranty package for your tires you should read it. Most have a list of things not allowed. Or, things not covered section. That's where you'll find the correct answer for your brand of tires.

If you don't have a warranty package just look-up one on the internet for your brand of tires.

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks
Why do you think need it?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you have larger tires, either in size or higher pressure ratings, I doubt if the sealant will be much good anyway. They also should not be used with a TPMS, since it can gum up the sensors. Some of the products, e.g. Slime, claim to be safe for TPMS, but I'm skeptical.

The instructions only show use with cars & SUVs, not high pressure motorhome tires.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #5

"They also should not be used with a TPMS, since it can gum up the sensors."

Good to know this. I would not have thought about that one!!!
Old 09-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Products like Slime claim to be safe for TPMS, but suspect they are referring only to the internal kind on most current passengers cars. Internally mounted sensors can be sealed and immune to the goo, but an externally mounted sensor on the valve stem has to receive air pressure through the valve and could get gummed up if the sensor is put back on the valve too soon. And I don't know what "too soon" is with this stuff.

Maybe more to the point, motorhome tire failures are more likely to be a blow-out than a slow leak, and slow leaks are all those tire sealants are good for. They claim to be able to fix holes up to around 1/4", but everything I see says more like 1/8". Nail hole size. However, a 22.5" tire carrying 100+ psi doesn't usually fail gracefully at highway speeds. Ka-boom! But if you noticed that the air pressure is continually dropping while parked somewhere, maybe a can of Slime or similar would work until you could get a better repair, or a new tire.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks

I've used tire sealant over the years as a stop gap until I get get the tire repaired. I still carry a can or two in my vehicles but I also carry a plug kit, even in my motorcycles. I wouldn't use the sealants that are intended to be in there all the time. They make a mess and can mask an impending problem. I have the green stuff in my bicycle from the factory and it still needs to have the pressure checked regularly.

The RV University website lists under inflation as the #2 cause of RV tire failure. I rely on the TPMS, regular pressure checks, temperature checks and visual inspections to notify (hopefully) me of a problem before the tire fails.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old 09-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son is a master mechanic at the largest Ford dealer in the state we live in. He says they hate to work with tires that had sealant used on them. That stuff is almost impossible to clean out, and can cause later leakage at the tire seats.

Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, sealant